Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best 88 key action with aftertouch and wheels.

Bachus

I am watching the VAX like a Hawk.

1050 USD is nothing for something like that.

First need to see and feel it... before i can decide how good something like that is..but it is prommissing.

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You won't find a better action than a Kawai MP11, and it does have wheels. You don't get aftertouch, but I would argue that aftertouch can ruin a good weighted action. You'll need a roadie or two to help you move it, but the action is one of a kind.

Sundown

Finished: Gateway,  The Jupiter Bluff,  Condensation

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

You won't find a better action than a Kawai MP11, and it does have wheels. You don't get aftertouch, but I would argue that aftertouch can ruin a good weighted action. You'll need a roadie or two to help you move it, but the action is one of a kind.

Yes i played it, and where weight is not an issue for me, it is an option, tough, i am also considering the VPC1 with a Panorama P6 and Push on top of it... But i would prefer a single all in one solution.

Another option in used boards is the Alesis QS8.1, which has a very good action. Don't know if they used Fatar or not.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Another option in used boards is the Alesis QS8.1, which has a very good action. Don't know if they used Fatar or not.

Aye, but the post is about new boards.... The fact that there is no more Alesis is sad enough..

Is that the same action as on the Alesis Fusion HD which can be found very cheap these days (and some people swear by it ! )

I've never played one. My Fusion is the 6HD 61 key synth action (with a damn fine action of it's own!)

I think AnotherScott has/had the 8HD. Maybe he'll pop in.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Aye, but the post is about new boards.... The fact that there is no more Alesis is sad enough..

It really is. I'm obviously a big fan. ;)

I still mourn for EMU. Not so much for Ensoniq.

Question to anyone: Why hasn't that Akai 88 key controller taken off? Bad action? Akai always seemed ahead of the curve on features, forward thinking, and build quality.

Hey, don't forget the new Coda!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I used to really like the (Fatar) VMK-188+. Not really "quick" action per se, but the action was/is nicely sturdy, somewhere between a grand piano and a good Rhodes. Used to use it for playing AP's and EP's from a Mac.

However, as a master MIDI controller, it's garbage, seems like that section was an afterthought. It is also close to 40 lbs.

I don't really like the action in Yamaha's 88-key Motifs (or the S70XS), but they do have a bunch of the features (wheels, ribbons, AT) you're looking for, so maybe you should look into them. Is the XS8 the same as the XF8?

• 6 months later...
Hey Bachus Awesome question, and thanks for the list! I'm playing a Triton 88 at church , I'd like to get an 88 board with aftertouch for myself. I personaly have ~8 boards and attempting to get them converged like you. For 88 keys I use Kurzweil SP88 its great and was cheap 750 USD but no aftertouch which I use a lot now programming MACBOOK LOGICpro plugins using them live. I learned vibrato aftertouch on the Dx7/Ex5 era and like to play it with Jordan Rudess as mentor model. The Kurz 2600x seems best but very expensive. I may want to get a Controller, but not sure which one is best yet. Will be watching, Thanks, Doug

Archived