Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil Artis7 or Nord Electro or Yamaha MOXF8

ap297

Seeking ultimate gigging keyboard with bread-and-butter-sounds for rock/pop/occasional jazz gigging application. Credentials include strong piano, electric piano, organs, brass, strings. Was originally thinking Yamaha Moxf8 (like the lightweight and 88 keys, but organs seem not that strong - needs a laptop with VB3 - I think).

Opinions welcome!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to do a pro con list and see what's most important to you because these boards are pretty different. And you need to play them if at all possible.

I'm assuming the electro in this equation is the 5 HP? It's the only one with similar action to the others. Is price a factor because the Nord isn't in the same tier as the others either. And if you're going to make that comparison why not also look at the PC3A/K or the Forte?. Or Yamaha Motif rather than the MOX?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Well, IMHO, the Nord Electro doesn't fall under the category "ultimate gigging keyboard with bread-and-butter-sounds for rock/pop/occasional jazz". It's a great sounding keyboard for piano, electric piano and organ, but that's about it. Yes there is a sample library of just about any sound you can think of, but you can't alter the sounds in any way, and unless you're thinking about the Electro 5, any of the previous Electros are one trick ponys - you can play either piano, organ OR samples, but not two sounds at once, which limits it's use quite a lot. With the Electro 5 you can at least play two sounds at once - like piano+string or piano and organ, which is not possible with the Electro 1/2/3/4.

Don't get me wrong - the Electro is a great instrument, but unless you combine it with another keyboard or if you're absolutely sure that you never will need to play more than one sound at a time, the Electro is not the board for you. The electro is also pretty much useless as a controller, it you're thinking about controlling a laptop, since it has no controllers like pitch/mod wheel, and no dedicated midi master mode.

I would have a look at MOXF8, Roland FA08, a Kurzweil Artis or PC3. Maybe also you should consider a Roland Jupiter-50.

The problem with you're question is that no-one other than you can answer which board fits your needs the best. You have to try as many keyboards as possible before you know which one to choose.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

You need to do a pro con list and see what's most important to you because these boards are pretty different. And you need to play them if at all possible.

+1 :thu:

I'm assuming the electro in this equation is the 5 HP? It's the only one with similar action to the others. Is price a factor because the Nord isn't in the same tier as the others either. And if you're going to make that comparison why not also look at the PC3A/K or the Forte?. Or Yamaha Motif rather than the MOX?

Yes if money isn't an issue, you should of course consider the Korg Kronos as well - and the Nord Stage 2/Stage 2 EX which is a much more flexible keyboard than the Electro series. Then of course you should know that the Stage 2/Stage 2 EX doesn't have the latest generation Hammond / Leslie simulation that the Electro 4/5 has.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

+1 :thu:

I'm assuming the electro in this equation is the 5 HP? It's the only one with similar action to the others.

Well the Electro 3HP and 4HP has the same weighted hammer keybed (Fatar TP100) as the Electro 5HP.

Is price a factor because the Nord isn't in the same tier as the others either. And if you're going to make that comparison why not also look at the PC3A/K or the Forte?. Or Yamaha Motif rather than the MOX?

Yes if money isn't an issue, you should of course consider the Korg Kronos as well - and the Nord Stage 2/Stage 2 EX which is a much more flexible keyboard than the Electro series. Then of course you should know that the Stage 2/Stage 2 EX doesn't have the latest generation Hammond / Leslie simulation that the Electro 4/5 has.

Is 9 drawbar control mandatory? Is an additional Leslie sim box out of the question? I suppose as its an 8, authentic B3 emulation is not critical.

There are various paths for improving organ sounds on a moxf. A 512 MB flash memory card would be convenient, but not essential. Doc Tonewheel's rig seems great for a motif path.

Seeking ultimate gigging keyboard with bread-and-butter-sounds for rock/pop/occasional jazz gigging application. Credentials include strong piano, electric piano, organs, brass, strings. Was originally thinking Yamaha Moxf8 (like the lightweight and 88 keys, but organs seem not that strong - needs a laptop with VB3 - I think).

Opinions welcome!

Are you tied to using one keyboard rather than two?

Have you thought about the kind of action you want? I noticed you list the MOXF8 and Artis 7 as possibilities, but not the MOXF6 or 88 key Artis models, which are the same boards with the "opposite" actions.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Would like to keep it at one keyboard. Interestingly, I can "manage" organ parts on the MOXF8 weighted action, but the sound and leslie seem lacking (and yes authentic organ sounds pretty high on the "want-list"). If only Yamaha included a modeled organ engine!

Artis 88 key is too long to transport, reviews complain about the Artis SE 88 key action. Artis 7 might be best compromise, but not sure about the organ sounds.

What to do?

Credentials include strong piano, electric piano, organs, brass, strings.

Of the keyboards you list, only the Kurzweil ticks all those boxes. I haven't played the Artis 7 but it has the same keybed as the PC3 76 note series. FWIW, I found that action quite highly sprung and tiring on the hands I had a PC3LE7 which I sold on for that exact reason. Did not like it at all for piano.

How exposed would your organ parts be? If you're talking background comping with an occasional solo in a rock band scenario, you may well get away with the Yamaha organs, especially if you get the B's Knees voice library for it.

Worth remembering: these voices may be off the pace for those of us 'in the know', but 90% of your audience won't hear the difference, or care much if they do.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

I think it boils down if you're ok playing organ with weighted keys or piano with a synth keyboard. I've done both but for me a 'ultimate gigging keyboard' means weighted for piano and non-weighted for organ and synths. Which means it has to be two separate keyboards. There's no way around it.

My current gig rig is MOXF8 + MOXF6 + Roland VK-8M. That gives me the sounds from Motif XF while I get a decent organ (with real drawbars) from the VK-8M.

If I understand right, he is trying to get away with one keyboard here. But he hasn't made a decision about which action is right because he is looking at an Artis 7, MOXF8, and not sure which Electro. So is it an organ centric gig or is it piano centric, or both? And which action does he prefer to play on. Answer that question and the choices become narrower right away.

Then let us know what sounds are most important and which are ancellary. Is weight a factor? And what is the budget?

Give us what we need to know and this question will get answered in a flash... by like 50 people. Ha ha

Here's a list:

*Sounds you use most

*Sounds you use often

*Sounds you use rarely

**What type of action are you most comfortable playing on?

***Do you prefer the length of the board to be 88, 76, 73, or 61 keys?

***Is weight a factor? How heavy is "too dang heavy"?

****What's your max price? Or do you prefer to get away with as little as possible?

We could be done here already, gents! :boing:

A few thoughts...

You do need to try actions yourself. Sure, reviews may complain about the Artis 88 action, but lots of people would "complain" that the MOXF8 action is terrible for organ, yet you're okay with it. So this is something you really need to check personally. Nord actions are controversial as well. The weighted Electros use basically the same action as the Artis 88; and the SW Electro action is not universally admired either (nor the Artis7, for that matter).

MOXF8 has good MIDI controller functions. You could add a better organ sound to it using an iPad and Galileo, at almost no increase in travel weight, footprint, setup time. Velcro the iPad to the the keyboard, run the audio out of the iPad into the audio in of the MOXF8, and attach the MIDI cable. If you can dedicate the iPad (Mini) to your rig, you might even be able to leave it all permanently attached. The only caveat is keeping the iPad charged.

Though for the sounds/purposes you listed, I would look at the Kawai MP7. The piano action is one of the best of its type if you must play organ from it as well, and the internal organ emulation is pretty good, beaides obviously being strong in piano and EP sounds. It has usable strings/brass as well, and above average interface/ergonomics.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If all the before mentioned keyboards were at the big box stores I think narrowing it down would be easier.

Sounds I use most and often would be piano, el piano, and organ.

I am most comfortable with a weighted action piano centric keyboard. Yet, compromise rules here. I could "get-away" with playing piano on a semi weighted keyboard. Prefer 88 key, but could "get-away" with a 76 (not 61).

Budget? Perhaps $2500, but the right keyboard could sway me a bit higher.

Price-wise, what is interesting is when you add the price of the flash to a MOXF8, we are over $2K. At that price level it seems prudent to looking at boards that are incrementally higher.

And what about weight? Is that a factor here at all?

Electro 4 HP at 73 Key with Hammer Action just makes your price point, does what you need well but not much more. If you usually play piano, you will hate the SW action for playing piano, electric pianos, etc. So it's the HP.

For access to larger array of sounds, but not as nice on organs...

Yamaha CP4 is another to look at. Not as strong on organs, well actually not in the same league, but if you're only doing an occasional organ comp or lead here or there, the extra stuff here that you don't get in the Electro 4 would be handy. On the other hand, if you don't need it, the Electro 4 HP is a winner.

Kurzweil Artis 88 is also a nice pick within your budget. Arguably better organs than the CP4 with their KB3 organ engine. I don't think you'll like the action on the 76key version of this board.

On the cheap a CP40 or a MOX8 would do the job fine. Your needs are not wide and varied here, it sounds like you don't do much if any synth playing or filling in of orchestra sounds and such. No need for the flash ram. A full out workstation like the MotifXF8 would just be overkill. Sounds like you just want bread and butter sounds and a nice action, IMHO. So start there.

FA-08 would be my choice.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

It's amazing how little the Artis-7 is talked about. I can only imagine Kurz are losing out on this board. Yet it fits the 76-note do-it-all bill pretty nicely, as the SP4-7 did before it. Maybe it's overpriced but there are still too few options in this area.

Though for the sounds/purposes you listed, I would look at the Kawai MP7. The piano action is one of the best of its type if you must play organ from it as well, and the internal organ emulation is pretty good, besides obviously being strong in piano and EP sounds. It has usable strings/brass as well, and above average interface/ergonomics.

+1 to this suggestion as well. Since sticking to one keyboard is a priority for you, the MP7 bears further investigation, especially since it is strong in all of your desired areas. The adjustability of the organ sounds puts it above the MOXF8, cost is below $2K & the Kawai has a great interface for rapid on-stage manipulation during a gig.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

It's amazing how little the Artis-7 is talked about. I can only imagine Kurz are losing out on this board. Yet it fits the 76-note do-it-all bill pretty nicely, as the SP4-7 did before it. Maybe it's overpriced but there are still too few options in this area.

Is this partly due to relatively few Artis owners - at least on this forum?

I may have missed it, but I don't recall seeing any owners chime in with any extensive reports on this beast, and I've never seen one in a store to demo.

I may have missed it, but I don't recall seeing any owners chime in with any extensive reports on this beast, and I've never seen one in a store to demo.

I had one of the first ones; didn't keep it. Review is here:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2645121/6

Kurzweil PC4-7, Studiologic Numa X 73

I have an Artis 7. I really like it, but don't love the action. It is a bit too stiff, but the feature set is really outstanding for what I was looking for, and it was worth the trade off. For the price, I think it's a good option. If only I could get some of those replacement springs that are no longer available. It'd be perfect then. But you can't got wrong (IMHO) with the Kurz sounds....

It's amazing how little the Artis-7 is talked about. I can only imagine Kurz are losing out on this board. Yet it fits the 76-note do-it-all bill pretty nicely

I don't know how relevant this is, but I find it curious that Musicians' Friend, one of the biggest online retailers and a Kurz dealer, does not carry the Artis7 (they do carry the 88 key version).

You need to do a pro con list and see what's most important to you because these boards are pretty different
+1 -- my thoughts exactly.

I considered a MOXF8 as a companion to my Electro; they have complementary strengths and weaknesses. I went with a CP4, accepting limited versatility in return for a better piano and better action. (I wouldn't want to have to use the CP4 organ, ever, for anything that I can imagine.) I can't comment on MOXF8 organs; I didn't bother checking them much.

Roland VR-700. If not that then ....

Get a Numa Organ($1200) or a Hammond XK1c($1400) if you can afford it.

Then PX-5s ($999), Korg Kross($999), Artis SE($1500), SP-4-8($999), or a MOXF-8($1700) if you can afford it. IF you want strong organs it is the action that will kill you not the sound engine.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It's amazing how little the Artis-7 is talked about. I can only imagine Kurz are losing out on this board. Yet it fits the 76-note do-it-all bill pretty nicely

I don't know how relevant this is, but I find it curious that Musicians' Friend, one of the biggest online retailers and a Kurz dealer, does not carry the Artis7 (they do carry the 88 key version).

I'm pretty sure they just need to update their website. Any Kurz dealer in the US can get any Kurz product.

Archived