Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modifying Yamaha CP4 Piano Sounds

RogerL

I just got a CP4 and am in the 30 day allowable return period. I play only for fun and usually at home with headphones. To my ears, the piano sounds right out of the box are a little harsh and not really full in the headphones. Even the various "dark" piano samples seem too harsh to me and the attack too much. I guess I am getting old and like prefer the full sounds like a Keith Jarrett gets from his real piano.

So, I am looking for recommendations for tweaks to make the sounds smoother as much like a full Steinway grand as possible. With my old Roland, it had this dial that adjusted the "piano lid" (figuratively) to make the sounds mellower. I am not a programmer type and just cant figure out with the Yamaha and the manual (parts of which read like a physics book) how to adjust the piano sounds. I was hoping someone could help me to identify which of the various adjustable parameters in the various menus can smooth the edge of the sound. I can adjust the EQ highs down but seems like there should be some equivalent to the Roland to adjust the piano sounds. All in all, I love the CP4 but just want to tweak the piano some. If anyone had a setting for their piano to sound as classical as possible, I would appreciate it.

And if there is a good setting list for an electric rhodes type piano to make it as close to the SV1 or Nord as possible, that would be great also. I dont know if pros consider their best settings to be secrets or not. While I am no pro, I do love going to hear live jazz so I am someone who supports all you real players.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Roger, Not sure what you are using for headphones but it can make a significant difference in sound with DPs. I use two different headphones that are equal in quality but one is closed-back (Shure) and the other is open-back (Senns). Without being technical and based only on listening pleasure, I find the Senns to sound amazing with the CP4 and and less pleasing on the Roland RD800. Now, its just the opposite with the RD800, the Senns sounds much less pleasing and the close-back Shures sound excellent, but Shures sound less pleasing on the CP4. Both keyboards have plenty of power to push these headphones - no amp needed. Also, This is also a good video by Blake Angelos form Yamaha. He takes you through the process of editing that might help you get the sound you are looking for.

[font:Century Gothic]KAWAI ES7 | ROLAND RD-800 | YAMAHA CP4 | YAMAHA STAGEPAS 400i | PRESONUS R65 & T10 | SHURE SRH1540 | SENNHEISER HD650 | K&M OMEGA [/font]

If you're coming from Roland the Yamaha will sound more harsh, it's just the samples. I use CFX Dark and tweak the EQ and it gets close enough. Personally I prefer the Roland 'sound' but a combination of the brilliant CP4 action, it's light weight and shorter length made me persevere.

I would also add my technique never really improved on any of the Rolands I owned whereas I've never played better since owning the CP4 (we have a grand in my workplace where I can reference this!)

I don't find the sounds "harsh" compared to Roland, but yes the Roland sound is cleaner in comparison via headphones. However, I find the CFX to be very good dynamic sample - I like it better than many of the AP samples on the RD800.

Also, I highly recommend the the Senns HD650 for the CP4 - sounds fantastic. Plus the price is way down compared to years past

I would also add my technique never really improved on any of the Rolands I owned whereas I've never played better since owning the CP4 (we have a grand in my workplace where I can reference this!)

Sorry to get off topic, but I agree. I love the feel of my Roland keys, but I can noticeable play some riffs and licks much better on the CP4. Great action indeed.

[font:Century Gothic]KAWAI ES7 | ROLAND RD-800 | YAMAHA CP4 | YAMAHA STAGEPAS 400i | PRESONUS R65 & T10 | SHURE SRH1540 | SENNHEISER HD650 | K&M OMEGA [/font]

In the main CP4 thread, Adan provided a good suggestion for getting a more mellow tone. Busch somewhere wrote about the concept somewhere along the lines of playing into the velocities, to get the desired samples to sound correlated to your touch. In other, words, manually adjust velocity related parameters on the board to match your touch and sound expectations. I think the CP4 can get the Keith Jarret feel quite well.

The velocity settings are in 2 places. System and Edit. System: adjust velocity curve. I like wide 1. In Edit, there are 2 velocity settings. I lower each a bit. I also experiment with only editing one parameter.

Thanks for the tips. I sprung for the Sennheiser HD650 headphones (set me back $330) but it really made a big difference, the sound is much better, thanks. I was using Sony MDR-V6 and there is no comparison.

Since you first recommendation was so good, do you have another recommendation for a small keyboard amp for playing with friends? At my local music shop they recommended two monitor speakers instead of a single amp. Thoughts on the pros and cons of each and what you know sounds good?

Thanks, R

Look into the SS amp that is prominently among the most popular threads here.

It is $750 and seems to sound really good.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Roger, glad you like the HD650s. They truly are very complimentary to the overall CP4 sound and tone. I think that's because the CP4 tends to be bright and the HD650s seem a bit warmer than flat. Maybe it's that perfect balance that makes the combo sound so good. Plus $330 is a great deal as they recently sold for $500 just a few years ago.

Regarding small amp, again I have had great luck with my StagePas 400i. They just seem to work well and sound great in almost every situation with any board. Plus flexible enough to plug in other instruments or vocal. Very usable mixer to tweak. They are powered perfectly for small gigs up 50+ people. IMO the 400i are a great value for what you get under $700. Check out the 600i if you need more power for bigger gigs.

However, as mentioned above, the SS amp has great reviews for around the same price. Put it on your list for sure.

Archived