Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sending transpose messages over midi output

pianokeys60

I have a Hammond SK-1 88,which I use for my Bottom Keyboard to control my Roland V-Combo (VR-09)....when i transpose the Hammond,the Roland does not also transpose......Can anybody help?....right now i have to transpose both keyboards every time....

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you transpose the keyboard, you change the note numbers it sends. There is no MIDI command for "transpose".

It's POSSIBLE that you might be able to make it so that you only have to transpose the receiving keyboard, that depends on the transpose implementation in the VR-09. Are you running your MIDI in KEYBOARD mode? That might help. It also might not.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

the only way to do it by midi is to use software or a device that changes the note number on the output. Other than that its the pita of going global or do it with in the patch before hand. No solution for on the fly other than pitch bend with a controller that you can toggle up or down.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Rather long shot: If the VR-09 transpose affects incoming and outgoing MIDI, then you could use local off on the SK-1, and loop the VR-09 out-> SK-1 in. In principle, this should make transpose changes on the VR-09 affect *both* boards.

But that is a rather big 'if' up there.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

When you transpose the keyboard, you change the note numbers it sends. There is no MIDI command for "transpose".
True on some keyboards. On other keyboards, the transpose button affects not what it sends, but how it interprets what it receives! But clearly, that's not happening here.

But you're right: it's not a MIDI message. It just changes how MIDI is transmitted, or interpreted on receipt.

And it seems that no matter which your keyboard does (affecting transmit or receive), chances are it's the wrong one for your purpose. One of those immutable laws of nature, no doubt.

In most keyboards I've owned, that's the difference between "transpose" and "key shift". Transpose changes the note numbers generated by the local keyboard, key shift changes the pitch of the internal engine for a given note number.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Technically transpose IS possible via MIDI - it is a sysex (ergo not necessarily available on all boards) command though and not GM.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Amazing that nobody that actually owns (or has read the manual) for either of these boards seems to have weighed in here. Lots of supposition and (inaccurate) speculation...

So, I took an opportunity to plug a 5-pin MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT of a Hammond SK1 (61), into the 5-pin MIDI IN on a Roland VR-09.

The VR-09 was set to RX MIDI MODE - MODE 1.

Played the SK1, C major scale, VR-09 plays a C major scale.

Press and hold TRANSPOSE then press OCTAVE DOWN button (next to the TRANSPOSE button), then release. Play a C major scale on the SK1, both the SK1 and the VR09 sound a B major scale.

Not sure what the OP is doing, but this works just fine.

Note that when the VR09 is in KEYBOARD or MODE 2 modes, it didn't respond. I didn't bother to check why. I was content knowing that when you TRANSPOSE the SK1, outgoing MIDI data is transposed (so it's not just transposing the internal sound engine separately). There's no way for the Roland to "untranspose" the data it's receiving.

Archived