Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tinnitus

Michele C.

Hello, friends. I have gone to a concert with a dear friend who loves punk and indie music. We listened to a band which has a lot of energy mixed with some psychedelic ideas.

We shoed up early and we where quite close to the stage. It turned out that we where too close and on the wrong side, since we where far from the center, which usually is a spot under cover from the fire coming from the main speakers.

It was extremely loud, terribly loud and we went home with that feeling of "cotton in the ears" that I had not experienced for a long time.

The day after I felt a high pitched noise in my ears, not terribly loud, but loud enough to cover a soft noise, like rubbing fingers together as counting money at arm length.

After two days it has only slightly recovered.

I am puzzled, because I have exposed my ears to many years of loud concerts in the past, never experiencing problems. This time I am a little bit worried, since this ring, which is roughly a G# two octaves above first string first fret, is not going away.

I have always been proud of my hearing and I have confirmed this at the production course I am following, so I am a bit worried that this noise might not go away.

So, the question is: those of you who have experienced similar stress have recovered in how much time?

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My ears rang for days after I saw Robin Trower in college - and I had a gig the next day, so it was a real problem.

My hearing did recover, but repeated exposure to high volume CAN cause permanent damage, so I try to be careful.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

My ears ring all the time. It's a high-pitched sound that sounds like white noise or a whoosh.

There's nothing you can do about it.

I went to many, many rock concerts in my youth and I've been playing in bands for 50 years now.

The loudest band I ever heard was the Who and the loudest on-stage band I've ever played with was the MC5. (I sat in with them once at the Grande Ballroom.)

You rang?

Yep, same here. Between loud bands and gunfire I've had tinnitus for a very long time, fortunately it usually doesn't bother me but there are times it is annoying.

I have also suffered degradation of hearing in my right ear due to the after-effects of radiation therapy.

Protect your hearing as best you can.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I have tinnitus, high-pitched tone that varies in strength and comes and goes.

Let me recommend an inexpensive earplug to acquire and carry around for future clubbing: Etymotic Research's ETY. Since we've been spending more time in my stepson's club in New Orleans (which does a lot of heavy metal) these are a must, and amazingly allow for conversation. I've not tried the ER20XS, and must say that I was never comfortable with the ETY when playing, but then my volumes have been more moderate the last twenty+ years.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Summer 1980: Blue Oyster Cult. My ears "had cotton in them" for three or four days afterward. I've been fortunate to avoid tinnitus as an adult, but sometimes my ears will ring after rehearsal or a gig. We did a show last year and the trumpet and sax player were on my right and boy did my right ear ring the next day.

If you're concerned, you should get checked out by a doctor or audiologist. There's no cure for tinnitus, unfortunately, but they could at least assess what's going on and rule out anything else.

On a slightly related note, I had occasion to meet both Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady last month. Both of them are wearing hearing aids.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Yep, I've been hearing high pitch noises for about 30 years now, and got used to live with it... but I would like a lot to go back in time and prevent this to happen.

30 years of marriage, congrats man.

:D

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I always wear earplugs when expecting loud audio levels. Always.

If I don't have my actual earplugs, I will use wadded up napkins, paper towels, TP, whatever is handy. I know it's far from the quality of actual earplugs, but I'll do anything to tame the strident and piercing highs.

I have been to, and played, many shows. Hearing still good, no tinnitus, even at my advanced state of decrepitude.

Ya gotta protect your ears.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Yep, I've been hearing high pitch noises for about 30 years now, and got used to live with it... but I would like a lot to go back in time and prevent this to happen.

30 years of marriage, congrats man.

:D

Oh yeah, that too

(what honey? ah, ok)

Sorry, 40 years of marriage this year.

Different experience here. Year 8-9 of 10 year marriage, the silence was deafening.

Loudest concert Motorhead at Lamore's in Brooklyn around 1987-88. AC/DC around 1986 was close but we were right near some cannons.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I saw Cheap Trick in 1979 at Calderone Concert Hall in Hempstead, Long Island (an old vaudeville theater). They were at a volume more suited for Shea Stadium.

Hearing was difficult for four or five days. Good show though.

Push the button Frank.

Ken - my band Rainbow's End was playing next door at Sullivan's Pub every few weekends in those days, and probably that night!!

I got tested and have some hearing loss. I need to be better about bringing plugs to concerts. I'm (slowly) trying to purchase what I need for in-ear monitors when playing with Stonefly. I hope in-ears will give me control of what I want to hear and block the rest.... I'm still concerned about feedback.

thanks

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Over 20 years of music, gunfire and explosives didn't damage my hearing, it was actually being around generators 24/7, even though they were on the other side of a solid wall and at least 15 feet away. I have a constant 60-cycle hum in my ears. It becomes really noticeable when I am tired, or stressed. I usually wear earplugs to shows now.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived