Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

dedicated keyboard for praise music pad sounds

jazzdoc52

i play in a praise band and my main board is a Yamaha CP-4, which i am delighted with overall..But It doesn't have separate outs for different layers, and i would like another board to play just pads..I want to reproduce the pad sounds like Hillsong, chris tomlin, etc... i don't need 88 keys, but it needs to be (I think) polyphonic, which rules out Moog....of course it needs to be midi compatitble..I have thought about just going with virtual synths such as omnisphere, but Im a meat and potatoes guy and not sure i want to deal with a computer on stage...any suggestions? thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Virus TI something or a used Roland V-synth GT maybe a Blofeld.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Less than a year ago I was still using my old Triton pro 76 for exactly the same purpose you described, and it worked just fine. I'm guessing you'd want something a little newer, but the good news is that you have many options. Most any polysynth/ROMpler on the market right now could easily get the job done. The bad news is that you'll have to decide for yourself which one you like best! :laugh:

As always, it depends on how much you want to spend and what level of quality you want in the keyboard action. And of course, your taste in sound. :cool:

><>

Steve

Any synth really.

Current ones with mainly rompler engines: Roland FA-06, Korg Krome, Korg Kross, Yamaha MOXF, Casio XW-P1/G1, Nord Stage.

Current ones with VA: Roland Jupiter, KingKorg, Roland VR-09, Nord Lead...

Previous generation romplers: Roland Fantom, Roland JUNO, Korg M50, Yamaha MOX, Yamaha MM...

Previous VAs: Roland GAIA, MicroKorg, Korg R3...

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Romplers work best for P&W pads IMO because of their diverse waveforms. You can generate gorgeous pads for prayer and meditation out of things like glasswaves, voices, even EP loops.

Chorus quality is also very important because if your services are like mine you're often really out there in the mix. I like Roland choruses because of the aperiodic nature of their modulating LFOs (in stark contrast to the cyclic nature of the choruses in my Yamahas). They sound much more warm and organic. I have no experience with Korgs so I'll leave that to others.

The two praise leaders I've played for prefer my old Roland XP-80 to any of my newer boards for pads. It's stuffed with expansion boards though - in particular the Spectrasonics Vocal board with it's really cool things like boys and Gregorian choirs. The XP-80 also makes smooth program changes, which is important to me when I'm naked out there.

But just about any Rompler will work. I'd definitely suggest getting something you will be comfortable editing with. Most presets really aren't optimized for P&W.

Plenty of good pad sounds in the Kurzweil PC3 series. If it's just for pads as a second board the LE models aught to work fine. MIDI flexibility is great. The LE models have lower polyphony and less outputs than the non-LE PC3 models, but it should suit your situation.

Annuello.

"That's total combat gigging!" - Adam Burgess

If you have the budget for it, the Virus TI is my preferred personal solution. Pads are really about the effects (especially reverb) and processing as much as the waveforms or samples themselves. My keyboard pedalboard has an Eventide Space reverb and Moog delays, chorus, and flanging, so I could play a kid's toy piano and make a lush pad out of it. Some of the virtual analogs and others don't have effects built in or very limited options in that arena, so you want something with them or an external unit for processing.
"Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." Ornette Coleman

I believe Hillsong uses mainly mainstage 3 combined with some effects plug-ins and some hardware effects.

But if you are not interested in using a laptop and mainstage / Omnisphere - a great inexpensive board with fabulous pad sounds is the Korg Krome.

Seems to me many synths will fill this bill, as the specific textures aren't as important as the aggregate effect and how it sits in the larger mix. Most of the major brands would have something to fit those needs.

If you're looking small and inexpensive (especially used), Korg has been bending over backwards to offer trickle-down models in small packages.

For example take the old, lowly Korg Microstation - many complain about the small keys and dodgy action. Would not be an issue for you if you're just going to MIDI to the CP4:

[video:youtube]

Or consider the current Kross 61:

If not Korg, Yamaha has a possible candidate in the MX61 or 49:

Jazzdoc52 mentioned separate outputs for the different layers he wanted to play....most boards just have 2 so I suppose you could pan two layers hard left and hard right. If you dished out a bit more cash you could find one with 2 output pairs so you could separate 4 layers.....

2 Very Sick Korg M1s, 1 Geriatric Roland D20

Kurzweil PC3LE7, Roland RD-700GX, Yamaha Clavinova CLP

Archived