Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sweetwater GearFest in June

Sharkman

First off, let me say that I do not and have never worked directly or indirectly for Sweetwater, although I have bought stuff from them. On June 12th and 13th, they will be hosting GearFest at their Fort Wayne, Indiana headquarters. They will have nearly 400 manufacturers gathering under 20 tents to give you hands-on demonstrations of their gear. And then there are the presentations from guitarist Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes, and others, not to mention the workshops, for things like recording, mastering, lighting, and more.

I don't have anything planned for that weekend, so it's pretty likely that I'm going. If any of you are planning to go, lets see if we can meet up there, and see who we are.

I rock; therefore, I am.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off, let me say that I do not and have never worked directly or indirectly for Sweetwater, although I have bought stuff from them. On June 12th and 13th, they will be hosting GearFest at their Fort Wayne, Indiana headquarters. They will have nearly 400 manufacturers gathering under 20 tents to give you hands-on demonstrations of their gear. And then there are the presentations from guitarist Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes, and others, not to mention the workshops, for things like recording, mastering, lighting, and more.

I once met Jeff Skunk Baxter at a Namm show in Chicago, I asked him about an Akai Synth guitar set up he was promoting. And he raved about it, and said it was absolutely the best thing out there (This was mid 1980's) So on his word I went out and bought the whole set up, and I have to tell you what a piece of junk that set up was. I also had a Roland GM70 guitar to MIDI set up at the same time, which was out and everyone who was into synth guitar at the time knew about it and it was 10 times the ability of the Akai set up. That is my Skunk story, follow his advice at your own risk, and be extra careful if he is promoting any gear as a paid spokesman........I have to tell you I was a master tweaker at the time and I could and did edit all of my 30 synths and samplers with software. I knew what I was doing and I tried for weeks to make that Akai thing work.......

Well, I really like his playing...

Of course, so do I, I listen to Steely Dan a lot on my MP3 player and he was part of that band. As for his musician ship I have no quarrel. And I have no real quarrel with him for being loyal to his employers. But I would also double check-out any gear he recommends with other sources before taking his word as gospel........I am not holding a grudge, just sayin what I know for a fact from true experience.

I do not place any value on any gear that well known musicians are paid to endorse. I do, however, place a lot of value on what gear they actually use. For instance, Joe Walsh was (maybe still is) a paid endorser of Carvin guitars. It must have been really embarrassing for the guys at Carvin to read an ad featuring Joe endorsing Gibson guitars, saying it's the only one he plays.

Steve Vai has a wah wah pedal made by Morley with his name on it. A Guitar Player photo of his actual stage rig showed that he uses a Dunlop Cry Baby instead of the Morley Bad Horsie that he gets paid to endorse. I could list many more examples, but you get my drift.

I rock; therefore, I am.

I do not place any value on any gear that well known musicians are paid to endorse. I do, however, place a lot of value on what gear they actually use. For instance, Joe Walsh was (maybe still is) a paid endorser of Carvin guitars. It must have been really embarrassing for the guys at Carvin to read an ad featuring Joe endorsing Gibson guitars, saying it's the only one he plays.

Steve Vai has a wah wah pedal made by Morley with his name on it. A Guitar Player photo of his actual stage rig showed that he uses a Dunlop Cry Baby instead of the Morley Bad Horsie that he gets paid to endorse. I could list many more examples, but you get my drift.

I was going to post the exact same thing.

or even beyond that... some acts have a lot of stuff set up on stage, when in reality there's just a small cranked combo behind it or in an iso cab., or a modeling thing...

if they even bother to set up real stuff

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--YSIPQVZP--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18mo1sjduprzojpg.jpg

Then there's the case when an artist is a paid endorser, actually uses the stuff, but doesn't hide that he thinks it's crap.

When Jimi Hendrix played my town in the late 60s, or one of the times he did, he had a wall of Sunn amps... and in the middle of the show, after acting not pleased with things, he supposedly said into the mic "Don't ever use Sunn amps. They're horrible!" Somebody has the show on tape, here.

Pic from that show:

11b4cb97c513393ffcadc4868f659270.jpg

I do give KISS credit for having a giant fake wall of Marshall cabinets... but then some of them start showing video and gradually it becomes a giant video screen.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/DFAOEYSxDg4/maxresdefault.jpg

Archived