Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First GAS attack of the year...

Aidan

http://www.goldstraw.com/images/moxf.jpg

To explain a little, I'm now in two bands where the SK2 is really the backbone of my rig, but despite my best efforts to get on with them, the extra voices just aren't really working for me and I needed a few noises occasionally that the Hammond library simply doesn't offer. Yes, I could have used the Kurzweil for the job but I wanted as lightweight solution as possible to ameliorate the bother of bringing a second board to the gig.

Went to the shop this morning and tried the MOXF6 and then the Roland FA-06. For me, the Yamaha was the hands-down winner on both sound and keyboard action (deeper keys, less springy) and it was cheaper. I honestly didn't notice until I got it home and set up what a nice match it was cosmetically for the SK2!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yamaha MOX instruments will provide a Swiss army knife of sounds - virtually everything someone playing in a band could need. I also like the fact (as with the Motifs) that you can arrange your favorite sounds (or those you use during a show) into User banks and access them with the push of a single button.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

https://linktr.ee/michael.piano

MOXF6.

Arguably the best bang-for-the-buck currently available!

(sorry for the US currency reference)

You're going to love it.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

You can get very good sounding analog synth from the Mo engine. Try the stock "OB Brassy Pad" Waveform. And for punch, "Dual LPF" filter. (great for monophonic.) That filter is too punchy for piano-like playing, but great when you start softening the attack with slower filter and amp attack. There is a lot of support documents, threads, & videos at motifator & yamahasynth. Once you get a handle of what's specific to the MOXF, I think support on any mo family member will enrich.

What's the contraption to hold the lil' mixer on the mic stand?

What's the contraption to hold the lil' mixer on the mic stand?

That's the Yamaha BMS10A mic stand adapter it can be used on many of their smaller mixers here it's holding my MG06X.

Not for this particular gig. I think there's only a couple of songs where I play piano on them.

Bert Smorgasborg needs to do a promo for your MOXF6. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

As I've gone to not using weighted keys for gigs the last year (leaving my beefy XS8 at home, almost always)...there will be like one Elton John song where non-weighted will annoy me for a phrase, but that's it. The schlep wins. I may just look into the MOX as I miss the palette my XS8 offers.
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

the Yamaha BMS10A mic stand adapter it can be used on many of their smaller mixers here it's holding my MG06X.
Just looked at it, and saw the screws. It places it an ideal location. Never new that was possible. Just saw there's something similar with little Mackies as well. Thanks!

As I've gone to not using weighted keys for gigs the last year (leaving my beefy XS8 at home, almost always)...there will be like one Elton John song where non-weighted will annoy me for a phrase, but that's it. The schlep wins. I may just look into the MOX as I miss the palette my XS8 offers.

THIS.

The MOXF6 weighs about 15 lbs.

The Motif XF8 weighs about 64 lbs. Without a case.

Unless you have a road crew, or are getting paid huge money, or are many decades younger than me, I can't imagine why anyone would prefer to schlep around something other than an MOX or Roland FA. It's not like anyone in the audience will even notice (or care) that you're playing a keyboard that weighs 1/4 and costs only 1/3 of an XF8. I believe they're sonically indistinguishable.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

https://linktr.ee/michael.piano

Yup. Weight considerations have played a big part in all my recent gear acquisitions. Even the CP4 is only 17kg.

Now that I sold my XS and have hit some pretty major limitations on the FA's midi capabilities talking to my Receptor, I might be going in that direction soon... gotta save up my pennies first!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I'm GASing for a Crumar Spirit. Thankfully I will probably never find one. :D

The filter is really cool and the resonance can get really intenses without being too chirpy.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Congrats Aidan on the latest acquisition. I agree that is a really nice KB set-up and should cover the bases extremely well. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Now, can we get a wider shot... isn't there a VintageVibe Piano in this room too? :)

I wish!

Aidan, nice!

I've played the MOX6 and now the MOXF6 for years. Great board.

I would suggest getting the Melas software "total librarian".

The editors are cool too, but the librarian is genius. I can instantly arrange all my masters before a show to match the set list. Pus, it's a good backup of allyour stuff as well.

Have fun with that rig!

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

The Yamaha MOX instruments will provide a Swiss army knife of sounds - virtually everything someone playing in a band could need. I also like the fact (as with the Motifs) that you can arrange your favorite sounds (or those you use during a show) into User banks and access them with the push of a single button.

This. Yes, the motif line is a pain in the ass from a UI point of view. But if you want a ton of quality sounds in a lightweight package with nice master keyoard features, the MOXF is hard to beat. Combined with the Melas software its just about ideal for pop cover band use. I almost always find preset voices that will work for a given song and then use the heck out of master mode.

My only gripe is the keyboard which is OK for standard stuff but a bit fiddly for soloing...and no aftertouch.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Nice rig, Aidan! :2thu:

you can arrange your favorite sounds (or those you use during a show) into User banks and access them with the push of a single button.

Another MOX/MOXF/Motif owner missing out on the power of Master mode, apparently. ;)

Nice rig! +1 on the Master Mode and all the John Melas editor software (Waveform Editor, Librarian, etc... invaluable...)

But I also agree with Sam Mullins re. the key action of the MOXF6. It doesn't do it for me either. That's the main reason why I'm selling mine.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

Archived