Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seredipity and "Urban legends"!

whitefang

I used to make what appeared to be a somewhat "serendipitous" joke...

Whenever, in the late '80's, someone would play some lame-o tune by the narcolepsy inducing KENNY G, I'd joke about him not being as good as his FATHER.

Someone would inevitably ask, "Who's his FATHER?" and I'd giggle and say, "Why, DADDY G, of course!" :D

Now, I'd heard the name "Daddy G" in records ranging from The Dovell's "Bristol Stomp" to Gary U.S.Bonds' "Quarter To Three", and always thought of "Daddy G' as some sort of what we these days call an "urban legend". Or possibly some popular DJ from some obsure radio station only the recording stars knew about.

Turns out, there really WAS a "Daddy G" back in those days.

A guy named GENE BARGE, who IS (still living from what I can figure) actually a SAXOPHONE player and well known and much used session man...But, NO RELATION, from what I can find out, to KENNY G---who may have started calling HIMself that as a sort of GAG!

So...IS that "serendipity"?-----or IRONY?

Plus, I thought of the "urban legend" angle of this thread while hearing, over a restraunt's satellite radio of an "oldies" station playing Millie Small's "My Boy Lollipop".

Now, Urban Legend has it that ROD STEWART plays the harmonica solo on it. But over the years, Stewart claims it isn't so. Do any of you know of any OTHER "urban legends" attached to famous rock songs or such that either wern't so,or WERE?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something a record store clerk I knew said once, that cracked us up... as a Kenny G disc played, that a coworker put on just to torture the rest of the staff...

"Kenny G is the Eddie Van Halen of the soprano saxophone."

The Van Halen mega-fan in the bunch protested, the rest of us couldn't stop laughing, because at that moment in the song Kenny G was playing what sounded a lot like an Eddie Van Halen tapping-heavy solo... and then I remembered that Van Halen's father was a jazz clarinetist...

... serendipity?

Now, I'd heard the name "Daddy G" in records ranging from The Dovell's "Bristol Stomp" to Gary U.S.Bonds' "Quarter To Three", and always thought of "Daddy G' as some sort of what we these days call an "urban legend". Or possibly some popular DJ from some obsure radio station only the recording stars knew about.

Also referred to in "My Old School" on the 2nd Steely Dan LP.

Scott Fraser

Also referred to in "My Old School" on the 2nd Steely Dan LP.

I thought of that, too! Love that song; great, clever music, great, clever lyrics... :2thu::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Something a record store clerk I knew said once, that cracked us up... as a Kenny G disc played, that a coworker put on just to torture the rest of the staff...

"Kenny G is the Eddie Van Halen of the soprano saxophone."

The Van Halen mega-fan in the bunch protested, the rest of us couldn't stop laughing, because at that moment in the song Kenny G was playing what sounded a lot like an Eddie Van Halen tapping-heavy solo... and then I remembered that Van Halen's father was a jazz clarinetist...

... serendipity?

Most Kenny G "solos" sounded more to ME like he was just practicing scales! ;)

For ME, the "Van Halen" of the soprano sax could be one of several---

Dave Leibman;

Paul Winter;

Wayne Shorter;

Grover Washington Jr.;

Take your pick from one of them!

Naw....EVH's dad being a jazz clarinetist ISN'T serendipity. It IS a bit interesting, though.

Now, if it turned out that Eddie was the "house guitarist" for the band his DAD played clarinet for, THAT might be serendipity, but I'm not sure......

One "urban legend" I'm glad WASN'T true was that BOB SEGER's voice had that "distinctive sound" due to THROAT CANCER!

That was ALSO said about MITCH RYDER.

Whitefang

Archived