Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Starting to think about saving up for a serious poly

MAJUSCULE

I'm starting drool a little too much over the polysynths already on or coming to the market. And I remember Marino telling me I should "save up and buy a real serious poly synth" rather buying my Juno-106 a couple years ago. It's still my only poly synth, and though I don't use it as much as my other boards, I still love it and hope to never sell it.

However, like I said, drool...

Now, since I'm a poor student who is trying to make a living from music, I won't be able to actually purchase a high-level poly unless I save up for a while. I also have several actual real-life gig needs that take priority. And we'll see if I don't get impatient and pull the trigger on something like a Sledge or Sub 37/Pro 2/Modal 001. Drool, amirite? :drool::hitt: So anyway, I've got some time to think, and maybe even try out some stuff.

Anyway, I guess I need to decide on some things. Anything else you guys would add to the checklist?

-Analog/digital/hybrid?

-Gig/studio/both?

-61 keys? Less?

-New/used (vintage?)

-How many waveforms?

-Modulation possibilities?

Probably the biggest factor will end up being my budget and what I can actually get my hands on. I feel like I'll end up falling in love with most of the boards, but the ones I'll actually get to play will obviously have a leg up.

Anyway, obvious contenders at press time include, but are not limited to:

-DSI Prophet 12

-Sequential Prophet 6

-Access Virus TI2

-John Bowen Solaris

-Modal Electronics 002

-Modal Electronics 008

-Alesis Andromeda

Let me know what I've forgotten so I can curse my wallet a little bit more. :wave:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prophet 6, without question for the classic polysynth experience. That thing sounds like a million bucks. If you could be certain that the Andromeda was in great shape, I'd try to get one of them. The owner's manual is like reading the Sears Wish Book.

Personally, I'm waiting for something else.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

You can pre-order the returning Elka Synthex starting today:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/elka-synthex-synthesisers-by-generalmusic

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

It all depends on what your preferences are. P6, P12, Solaris and Virus TI2 are all different beasts, all of them are fantastic machines, or that's what I think as I have not tested the P6 myself yet. I had the P12 for a while and liked it, but then bought the Solaris and unfortunately could not afford to keep both even if I wanted as they were so different.

I would say, check out all you can about these machines on youtube and try to make up your mind on which one you like most.

Also for someone with little to no experience with advanced synth programming the Solaris might be a little too deep. The P12 is on the other hand advanced and fairly easy to understand at the same time.

CP4 - Solaris - Kurzweil Forte - Minimoog -

- Mellotron M4000Dm - Motif rackXS - DX5 - SY99 - Rhodes 73 - HX3 - Hammond B3/2x147 - Montage7

I am already familiar with the DSI architecture from my Mopho and some time on the P'08.

Parva is interesting... I'll have to think about whether modules are a direction I want to go in... If that's the case, I could get an 8-voice Parva and an P'08 rack for a pretty good price.

I am already familiar with the DSI architecture from my Mopho and some time on the P'08.

The P6 is most definitely different from the Mopho and P08, sonically speaking. I was never a big fan of the Curtis Filter tone, but the P6 (which I played at NAMM) was absolutely amazing.

Parva is interesting... I'll have to think about whether modules are a direction I want to go in... If that's the case, I could get an 8-voice Parva and an P'08 rack for a pretty good price.

+1 on the Parva; there are a few sound examples on line that sound great.

I'd want a controller with poly aftertouch anyway, to take advantage of the poly aftertouch support.
The NewVAX is now funded on Kickstarter; the 8 octave version was $700, and the 4 octave was $400.

What are you waiting for, Ken?

When Oberheim announced the Son of 4 Voice, I got excited. Since then Tom's gone off in a number of other directions. I doubt it'll come to fruition (unless I just buy 4 SEMs). I wonder, though, whether there might be an OBX- or Matrix-style instrument in the pipeline. I can be patient.

Otherwise, there's something about the sound of the P6 that stirs my loins. Can't wait to try one.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Yeah, me too. Oh sorry, that isn't true, it just felt right.

Dave S. recommending the P12 to the attention of musicians as "a Real Prophet", and getting the name Sequential probably is good for musicians wanting to learn the right stuff. Some properties of analog polys are hard to measure, but you can hear them immediately. Other properties show up live or when recording professionally, and might seem random or even wrong, but aren't in the end.

I've worked on the Kurzweil VA sound a bit recently, and it starts to seriously do what I want, but I haven't made a sound set with it yet, nor done the effort of programming proper slider controls. I say it has the potential to stand on it's own as a part of a polysynth that can be put next to analog, but the factory settings do not do that. It's possible to use all kind of advanced knowledge and trickt to get there where digital sounds enough like analog that further bothering is useless. Nothing much even tries to really get there, so for me and probably a lot of others the P6 almost sounds like an epiphany, which is great.

The new Roland ana/digi (I forgot the type and am lazy at this very moment) sounds like the actually analog outputs could be interesting. I don't know if the digital effects can be mixed in "in parallel" for Live amplification or proper feeding to studio equipment, but it might be it's an interesting machine at the lower price range. Hopefully the Usb Midi works good. Maybe D. Smith sold Roland some technology !! (seriously, that's a joking speculation of mine, not based on any hard facts or information through the grapevine). It might be a good learning machine, which is hard to make out from the mostly stupid sounding demo I saw.

T.

For something more conventional the Novation 61 SL MKII feels good to me.

Maybe the Roland A-800 Pro or Akai MPK261 61.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Poly AT..... nevermind. The PCR-800 transmitted both poly and channel AT. I don't know if that carries over into the A-800 Pro or not.

PS Yes the A-800 Pro transmit Poly.

Mode Explanation

OFF - No aftertouch

Channel - Pressure Transmitted as channel pressure messages

Polyphonic - Key Pressure Transmitted as polyphonic key pressure messages.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived