Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Begginer needs advice on first Keyboard/Piano

PianoBegginer

Hello!

First of all i want to write that my english is not the best ^^

Im a young guy age20 that wants to begin to play piano. I was amazed by the music when i watched a series some months ago and i

have been watching youtube videos and contents because i like the sound of the piano so much!

I have been saving some money for vacation and summer and i will have around 400-600euro left.. I want to spend the money on to buy a piano, so i got found a Yamaha P90 keyboard with 88 keys for around 450euro. Is it a good deal? I might get the price down but 450 is the price for it.

If anyone can recommend a begginer piano that i can play for 1-2 years with good sound and everything before getting serius and buy a expensive one. I really want a keyboard that sounds like a real one ^^

Other than that feel free to message me, looking after friends that can help me giving tips when i buy one :)

Cheers

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, welcome to the forum.

The Casio PX-150, Yamaha P105/P115, and Kawai ES100 are generally considered the best entry-level boards available.

I would say 450 Euros is a little expensive for an ageing board (almost 10 years old?) like the P90.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Most real acoustic pianos are preferable by me and many others. So if possible, spend time on both types of pianos- the acoustic piano... and the digital kind.

I used to play a fine Steinway that was in a church near my school.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I played one these about a month ago. I didn't think the speaker system was as good as Yamaha but for the money I was pleasantly surprise.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/casio_px_350_bkm_privia.htm

If the PX 150 has the same action and same basic piano sound I think it would be a good buy. Otherwise look to the Kawai ES-100. The Yamaha slabs do not appeal to me until you get to the P-255 but the P-255 is way over your budget.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Hello! Thanks for the answer Richard and CEB, I ended up getting the Casio PX150, good price and prob a good begginer piano. I think it will arive today or friday.

I dont want to make a new thread so i wonder if anyone can give me tips on books/videos (online) that can help me getting started. I have no music experience. So exited! ^^

Hello! Thanks for the answer Richard and CEB, I ended up getting the Casio PX150, good price and prob a good begginer piano. I think it will arive today or friday.

I dont want to make a new thread so i wonder if anyone can give me tips on books/videos (online) that can help me getting started. I have no music experience. So exited! ^^

I don't know where you're from and what's available, but I think you'll hear almost unanimously there there is no substitute for lessons from a good teacher.

I learned on Thompson and Schumann books that I'm sure many others did. But again, you should really consider a teacher. Youtube videos are good for certain things, but I wouldn't try to learn basics from them. They are better for learning a specific song after you've learned basics.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

You're welcome. But we have not asked your goal.. basically are you so smitten with music that you feel the urge to do music full time? Or are you a bit more sensible ( "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" ask anyone around these parts, I'm a fool type ) and just want to be serious but still continue with your other projects in life starting a family, job, etc??

If really dead serious a qualified teacher is a must as has been said.

But so is spending a lot of enjoyable time with instrument. I believe the ability to feel uplifted with the practice of the fundamentals of music, is a trait of a very talented person btw. - scales, chords etc.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Really a teacher is a must? There is Piano courses for begginers here very cheap. But i cant learn to play piano with help of youtube, books online courses?

My goal is not to go pro or something like that, i just want to learn/improve and play beautiful music and songs that i like. I have a lot of time in my hands. I work and study parttime and have no other hobbys besides gym. I can easily play 4 hours a day. I just got my piano hand have been playing around a bit.

No for your modest goals you don't absolutely need a teacher.

But even for what you want a teacher will:

1) Help avoid pitfalls in your technique that can hider you playing songs you want. And avoid injuring your hands.

2) Speed up your progress immensely.

3) Teach you how to play a song right. Much of the stuff on YouTube is just plain wrong.

Last but not least, your goals can change. At some point you might want to take it further. With technology your teacher doesn't have to be in the room with you, some people are doing quite well with skype. Good luck I hope you attain your goals, music can give a lifetime of enjoyment.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Old I miss Richard Tee is also the prince of paradox,cause I be seeing different sides of the situation.. the yin and yang, the best of times the worst of times, and like that.

The biggest reason for a teacher though, is injury to hands or fingers, wrists etc.

You could see the teacher once a month. Pay great attention to any kind of discomfort in hands. Don't do what I used to do, and still do on occasion, what my Dad referred to as Banging the piano! I used to break my nails in uncomfortable ways... I had issues, what can i say. But seriously, the teacher will teach you about producing tone.

But the other side of this sound of one hand clapping ( Zen speak for paradox )

is it is healthy to play on your own, unguided by the teacher! Some will differ here. Just getting in time with the instrument that you are falling in love with, is a personal thing, and sometimes too early intervention of a teacher esp not a perfect teacher can interfere with the romance.

The love of playing, specifically practicing with joy, is a huge gift from whatever it is you believe causes music in the first place. We are not allowed to get into anything close to religion around here, so read up on metaphysics and music- many teachers are not even aware of this. And it is NOT necessary that they are.

If you think I am rambling perhaps I am, but music is a special thing in life, and in my mind is associated with paradox... there is never just one side to music.. to be or not to be... to have a teacher to not have a teacher! Anyway, see a teacher, but not weekly... develop your own love music, and PROTECT that love, because it can fade if not tended to.

If you happen to get a teacher you really click with, then follow your inclinations.

Back to basics, all advise given here is good... just remember the injury part, and tone production. And btw tone is particularly applicable on an Acoustic piano not as much a Digital keyboard.

Thank you Toano and MissR for the great tips, i will consider to

hire a teacher to see me every 2weeks or so. But for the beggining i want to get the feel for the piano. I had a great time playing and learning (C-major, twinkle little star, hand position...)

Two weeks is good. Especially with your goals.

Adults don't need lessons as often as children. Adults can self focus.

When asking for advice about learning something to keep in mind is that most of us were learning when we were young children. People tend to think you tend to learn the way they were taught. Adults and children learn differently.

My daughter is late to the piano and to a large degree is self taught and she has learned at a highly accelerated rate. She comes from a brass and woodwinds background and could already read both clefs which helped a lot. Textbooks that comes with audio CDs are a big help.

This special book was lost to me, until a few minutes ago, when I was thinking of telling you about it...and repurchased as a Kindle book. It is very deep book on music but not in terms of notes, harmony, hand position etc; rather the deeper aspects of music. I highly recommend this book. It may take ten or more years for it to "speak to you", just buy it and let it do its thing through osmosis.

"The Mysticism of Sound and Music" revised edition.. by Sufi Hazrat Inayat Khan.

A side benefit for me.. it helps me remove any prejudice I have about, ahem certain groups in the news.

There is no hurry for this book, but just letting you know.

The internet with it's access to information is a game changer.

When I was 10 and would be given an assignment to learn a Chopin Etude or some other piece all I had to go on for the first time was the score. Now I can go to YouTube and hear the piece played by Horowitz or Richter etc.... and know in my head how it should sound like. If I was a child and learning today I would progress way faster .... but there are a lot more distractions also.

Archived