Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre...What Next?

iluvchiclets

Hi everyone,

I am just discovering this "style" of music (if you might call it that - meaning one composer and his synths for lack of a better description?)

Up until recently, I have mainly listened to classic rock and jazz. Now I have developed an interest in the sounds of analog synths after buying an Alesis Micron...and other VA's have been following! Suddenly my Bladerunner soundtrack sounds good!

I did a bit of research on the interweb, and of course Jean Michel Jarre's name came up. Is there anyone else I should be listening too that is in this vein of composing? My main area of interest is in retro synthesizers, so I think I should focus on albums before 1980(?)... Any suggestions would be welcome!

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no particular order, and not necessarily highlighting only analog:

Switched on Bach, Wendy Carlos

Beauty in the Beast, Wendy Carlos

Snowflakes are Dancing, Tomita

Theme of Secrets, Eddie Jobson

Another Green World, Eno

Evening Star, Fripp and Eno

Albedo 0.39, Vangelis

China, Vangelis

Movement in Still Life, BT

Phaedra, Tangerine Dream

Thank You to you both...

I am familiar with Josef Zawinul, but not Night Passages.

Timwat, thank you, I will have a look and listen to your suggestions. Funnily enough, I bought Switched on Bach when I was in my teens and I remember thinking it was rubbish! I was into Jazz Fusion almost exclusively back then. Oh, the mistakes I have made over the years. :)

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

Switched-On Brandenburgs is even better than SOB in my opinion. Wendy perfected her techniques by then.

As always I recommend Larry Fast / Synergy. His original compositions are a combination of rock and classical, more or less. He used analog synths until his last couple of albums. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Fast

I would start with Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra (1975) and Cords (1977).

I always thought Amin Bhatia's Interstellar Suite was pretty cool. I seem to remember reading that the majority of the album was recorded almost exlcusively on Minimoog (could be remembering that wrong)...

Steve

His entry for an '81 contest by Roland was a piece he did solely with a Minimoog (Flight Beyond the Stars). It was rerecorded for the album as the fourth track.

The Interstellar Suite lists Roland JX10, Oberheim Xpander and Minimoog as synths used. I also liked it.

Early Kitaro...my fave is Astral Voyage

Weather Report has some cool things. I can't name an album, though.

It's a little more techno-prog, but Ozric Tenticals is lots of fun...Swirly Termination is a great album but perhaps too new for what you are looking for.

The Orb is another along these lines but more "dream-trance".

A while ago, my dad gave me copy of a reel to reel, live recording of Jeff Beck with The Jan Hammer Group...WOW!

Whoops...went back into jazz/fusion. That's almost inevitable though, right?

Archived