Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: Mondegreen madness!

whitefang

We all know "mondegreens" are what are referred to as "misheard" or "misunderstood" song lyrics.

I used to have that book, "'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy" which was full of 'em. If you've never heard of, or read this book, I recommend digging it up! :) Since my MOVE a few years ago, I haven't been able to locate it! :(

But, the recent "Maggie" business in the "Hey, Joe" thread reminded me of another "mondegreen" that's always cracked me up.

It involves my ex's late kid brother, who was FOUR YEARS OLD when he blurted it out, and that was BEFORE I knew him ...it would have been 1966---but the family laughed about it for YEARS!

He was riding in the car with his mother, who had the car radio on some "easy listening" station, and the station started to play the song, "Maria" from "West Side Story".

As most of you know, it starts out with a man singing the name "Maria" over and over---"Maria! Maria! Maria-Maria-Maria-Maria--Ma---REEEE-AH!"

Well, about half way through this intro, Chris( the kid's name) asked his Mom, "WHY is that guy singing DI-RHEE-AH?" :D As both parents, when having the radio on in the car kept it at "whisper volume", it's easy to see how and/or why he got that impression!

Now, we've ALL made OUR mistakes....You know, "Benny And The Jets" having "Electric BOOBS", And our "Bathroom on the right!" moments.

But much of Elton John doesn't count. There's a differnce between MISunderstood lyrics,and NOT understood lyrics. Like, it was TWENTY YEARS until I discovered he was singing, "In Tradition With The Family Plan" in "LEVON" But, I NEVER thought he was singing SOMETHING ELSE, just I had no idea WHAT the hell he was singin'! "ROCKET MAN" supposedly had several "mondegreens" attributed to it.

Post some of YOURS!(on OTHER songs, NOT neccesarily "Rocket Man")

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was trying to remember what that "there's a bathroom on the right" was, I keep thinking CCR for some reason? Update: Found it, it was CCR's song: Bad Moon Rising...

Anyway, my kid would sing "every time you go away, you take a piece of meat with you", and I asked him why would she take a piece of meat with her, did she cut it off?...wouldn't it just be "you take a piece of me with you?" I still sing it to him just for fun now and then...

Also, it doesn't just happen in songs. Norm Crosby has been pointed out in another thread that does a whole comedy act based upon the same concept (intentionally not mistakenly using malapropisms)..another example they run on TV ads around these parts was the old Gun Smoke show. Festus was always coming up with stuff Marshall Dillon and the others couldn't grasp, like "I'm not going to stick around here's and listen to you guys pallanderin all day"..."or that hydrophobia, it's a sorry way to die, ain't it doc?" :cool:

Take care, Larryz

At Chris' funeral in 1903, I brought the room to both tears and laughter by imploring everyone to sing a "tribute" to Chris. I then started singing, "Di-REE-ah, Di-re-a, di-re-a,di-re-a, di-REEEEEEH-AH!" :D

Yep! They all remembered the story. :)

In Del Shannon's "Runaway", I misunderstood the line--"I'm-a walkin' in the rain;

Tears are fallin' and I feel the pain"

and THOUGHT he was singing---

"I'm a-walkin' in the rain;

To the ball,and then I feel the pain" :D

I remember wondering if it was a COSTUME BALL or not! :D

Whitefang

At Chris' funeral in 1903, I brought the room to both tears and laughter by imploring everyone to sing a "tribute" to Chris. I then started singing, "Di-REE-ah, Di-re-a, di-re-a,di-re-a, di-REEEEEEH-AH!" :D

Yep! They all remembered the story. :)

Whitefang

1903 was before my time...jeez, you are getting old Fang LOL! :roll:

Take care, Larryz

At Chris' funeral in 1903, I brought the room to both tears and laughter by imploring everyone to sing a "tribute" to Chris. I then started singing, "Di-REE-ah, Di-re-a, di-re-a,di-re-a, di-REEEEEEH-AH!"

Funny story!

But 1903?

Umm...how old ARE you?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

OOPS! That evil MEXICAN villian SENOR MOMENT has struck again! :D

I THOUGHT I had hit 2003! Thanks for pointing out the gaffe---

Whitefang

OOPS! That evil MEXICAN villian SENOR MOMENT has struck again! :D

I THOUGHT I had hit 2003! Thanks for pointing out the gaffe---

Whitefang

For me anymore Señor Moment is no longer momentary, kinda continuous. He's taken up permanent residence in my house.

Scott Fraser

Archived