Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When a Man Loves a Woman

ITGITC

RIP Percy Sledge.

According to Sledge's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame bio, his hit "'When a Man Loves a Woman' topped the R&B and pop charts for multiple weeks and raised the bar for soul balladeering for all time. Yet Sledges career didnt end with that momentous first single. Over the years he racked up a dozen hits at Atlantic, including 'Warm and Tender Love,' 'It Tears Me Up,' 'Out of Left Field' and 'Take Time to Know Her.'"

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was just watching the Muscle Shoals documentary yesterday for the first time. RIP Percy! What an incredible voice and cool story.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Whenever I hear that song I think of Michael Bolton's remake. Awful. It's too bad as I know he didn't do the original but still.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

No matter who else sings this song I will always hear Percy's voice. In a tribute on the news tonight they showed several clips of Percy including one of him on stage singing it with Bolton. RIP.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

The combination of Percy's voice and Spooner Oldham's Farfisa give "When a man Loves a Woman" such a distinctive sound.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

The combination of Percy's voice and Spooner Oldham's Farfisa give "When a man Loves a Woman" such a distinctive sound.

Yes indeedy, but don't forget the signature guitar lick in the chorus and the strip joint horn section blaring at the end. Every element of that arrangement contributed to the overall impact. What's amazing to me is that everyone isn't totally sick of it by now, having heard - or in our case here - heard and played it a gazillion times over the past 50 years. Just adds to the legend I guess. RIP Percy.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I got to play WAMLAW with Percy at a New Years gig, long time ago. Chills, I tell you, chills.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Archived