Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chick/Herbie rigs at Carnegie Hall

cedar

This is a thinly veiled brag about the show I am waiting to see (and also a way to kill time while waiting for it to start).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/wynton/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg[/url][/img]

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoy the music! The symmetry speaks so loudly ... two beautiful pianos, two wonderful jazz masters.

The asymmetry speaks loudly too .... this is a battle between two titans .... in one corner, the MOTIF XF and in the other the KRONOS. ;):cheers:

So, here are a few random thoughts about the show.

I basically loved it. My wife - who is not a musician - was less enamored, as it was somewhat too abstract for her at times. But to my ears, it really was not that out there. For the most part, they improvised over some recognizable forms (like Maiden Voyage, Cantaloupe Island, Easy to Love, etc). But everything was fresh and unpredictable. Herbie did some ultra-cool voicing on Cantaloupe Island, for example.

I do have a slight nit about the overall sound, but not sure whether there is anything they could have done. At times, I found the sound a bit muddled, which was obviously inevitable to a large degree. Yet, I wonder what would have happened if the pianos had physically been spaced somewhat apart. Dunno. Perhaps it would have been worse. I have to assume those folks at Carnegie Hall are pretty good at figuring out sound. I was seated in one of the upper tiers to the side. Maybe the sound elsewhere was better.

I found the sound a bit muddled...Yet, I wonder what would have happened if the pianos had physically been spaced somewhat apart.

If it was only the pianos that sounded muddled, I would think it was bad mic position and/or EQ.

If the ROMplers sounded muddled too...

h*ll, let's just get it over with and blame the sound engineer anyway. :laugh:

Seriously, with few sound sources and open mics, it should have been fairly easy to dial in and have great sound throughout the auditorium. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Seriously, with few sound sources and open mics, it should have been fairly easy to dial in and have great sound throughout the auditorium. :cool:

Right D. I think it's the Fazioli's. They just suck. :roll:

:nopity:

going to see them tonight at the Kennedy Center DC. I'll try to gets photo's if the Secret Service let me.

photo's didn't turn out well. Need to upgrade my phone so I get a better camera. Security was minimal at Kennedy Center, Barry decided not to come after all. :D Had I know that I would have kept my camera with me, had it all day long (Cherry Blossom Festival going on), put it in the van before the show so it wouldn't get confiscated. Note to self. Don't go to solo/duo piano show the day after seeing Stevie Wonder. Two jazz greats on stage and I was literally falling asleep at the show. It was too polite for me, too pretty if you will. Better suited for 4 O'Clock Sunday afternoon than a Friday night. Still glad I went of course. :thu:

:nopity:

Archived