Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland AIRA Modular

MorayM

Spotted at SonicState!

http://ww2.sonicftp.com/news/images/25052_541.jpg

I've been thinking about the System 100m recently, but I never thought it would work within the whole AIRA family - nice to see that Roland think otherwise. They may be out of the workstation game, but they're keeping things interesting.

The top unit looks like fairly standard Roland interface - a pair of sliders for cutoff/res and two groups of four for filter and amp envelopes, so I wonder what the four modules underneath are? The System 100m had some cool modules like the FX one with Phase and Delay and the S&H/Ring Mod, it would be nice to see those recreated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks really interesting. Thanks for sharing. I miss my Nord Modular (software/hardware combo) in live gigs.

Love your analysis of the layout.

It would be cool to see a modulatable delay line in the modules section. The SH101 and SH2 pullouts have delays ... so I have my fingers crossed. Speaking of sliders ... I wish more manufacturers had picked up on Roland's ADSR sliders. They are so easy to read. :love:

Not to spoil all the fun, but the major attraction to me of an analog system is that you don't (on decent monitoring pretty penetrating) smell the sample reconstruction errors all the time, because, well, they aren't there.

Those Roland modules are fun, and contain interesting technology, but I'd prefer to have simple modules running at say over a Mega Hertz sampling frequency. There are tricks with digital, there are tricks with delay lines, but solving the main problems that make the digital things most of the time second to even a simple analog requires something else then copying modular structure.

Not that digital modules doing modular synthesis can't be fun.

T.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Beavis, you dumb*ss!"

It would be cool to see a modulatable delay line in the modules section. The SH101 and SH2 pullouts have delays ... so I have my fingers crossed. Speaking of sliders ... I wish more manufacturers had picked up on Roland's ADSR sliders. They are so easy to read. :love:

A modulatable delay would be cool!

Yeah, I love the sliders too. I'll compare the rest of the layout to my JP-8000 when I get home, see if anything else matches up.

After buying the keyboard I am very cautious about the Aria line. They have made some very curious decisions with the modules. With the very limited patch memory you almost HAVE to connect a computer for it to be useful, and if you have a computer connected, why do you need anything in the Aria line?

Still, it will be interesting to see what approach they take.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Yep. That's a head scratcher all right. If those are simply patch points on a fixed path synth .... it will take some extra circuitry to make the modulations useful. (Perhaps there are some digital features not represented by the hardware?)

Seems a bit more like the MS20 controller than I supposed at first....

Ah yes, if it's taking cues from the MS20, then I wonder if the red and blue circles along the top row are patch points? They look about 3.5mm. Red and blue to differentiate between in and out perhaps? Which would make all the user controls green, as in the System 1.

I wonder if the patch points could change configuration depending on the Plug-Out synth loaded?

Three color system makes perfect sense. Nice. :thu:

I think we are on to something here. We should design the synth and then give it to Roland to build. Heh. :roll:

Do you see a correlation between the hardware object and the extra "modules" on the lower portion of the dsp screen? I wonder if those are primarily modulation routings or whether we will have extra modules?

$600 for a VA Modular. Could be fun but the 1st Musikmesse demo I thought sucked. Most my distaste was due I believe to the presentation and not necessarily the device. After 11 minutes of demo I have no idea what it will do. I don't think the demonstrator knows either.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

$600 for a VA Modular. Could be fun but the 1st Musikmesse demo I thought sucked. Most my distaste was due I believe to the presentation and not necessarily the device. After 11 minutes of demo I have no idea what it will do. I don't think the demonstrator knows either.

I hate modular demos where it's just someone twiddling a filter knob over a sequence composed apparently at random. At least in this one they had some more FX to twiddle!

In fairness to the presenter he did say he's only had an hour or two to play with it - presumably with people badgering him for demos the whole time...

Archived