Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Second Board with Organ

Tunes

This is a follow up to my last post, Best Stage Board.

Looking for a fast 61-key second board with great synth/strings/horns/pads AND great organs. So far, I like the VR-09 and the Krome. What's even better?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a great all-in-one workhorse, Kurzweil PC3 LE6. Not fancy but solid sounds including organ. PC3(LE6) strings, pads and synths are hard to beat. Much better keybed than VR09 and Krome.

Tom

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Hammond SK1

Nord Stage

Nord Electro

Korg Kronos

Kurz PC3k6

Roland VR-700

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

People knock them ( you know the ones.. keyboard players who are scared another keyboard player is going to come to their gig and laugh at their gear) , but I use a Casio XW-P1 as a second board , great synth sounds and "YES" I really like the organs on there too.

And don't forget you can mode the organs and save them to a setting you like using an array of filters and drawbars.

Cant ever recall someone coming up to me and saying "I could tell you were using a Casio because those organ sounds were Shite" ?

" I may not be as good a player as you but I'm having fun "

Nord stage 2,kurzweil pc3k6 and kronos 61 are the best for organs and all purpose.

Stage 2 and hammond sk series are the best for more exclusive organ feeling!

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

I would wait for the Nord Electro 5 which in addition to organ with high key trigger point will provide top pianos, wurlies and rhodes to any lower tier keyboard. If I ever need balinese nose flutes (as Sven Golly), accordion or ukulele I would bring in the Kronos 61.

The only thing I don't like about the Yamaha Mox6 are the organs; they kinda suck. So, for $159 dollars, I bought an SM PRO V-machine which can house my VB3 organ VST for live use. Now I'm good to go.
Good one!

The PC3 organ IMHO is the least authentic of the clonewheels, behind VB3, Hammond/Suzuki, Nord, and Roland. Maybe I just haven't heard it used well, or managed to play it right. For someone who wants a full-feature board for rock with *some* organ, it's a killer. But for someone who's primary function is organ, not my choice. I was just at GC trying the PC3K8 organs, and couldn't quite find what I was looking for. Admittedly it was through a KC amp, but that's also how I've played Roland VK8, which I prefer. I hear folks I respect admiring PC3 organs, and I'd like to have them prove it to me.

Best is always a matter of "for whom and for what?" and there is no single answer. Here are the top contenders, in no particular order:

Korg Kronos - damn good in all categories, great in many.

Hammond/Suzuki SK1 - great organ, pretty good other, not sure about synth.

Nord Electro - great organ, pretty good other, but no synth other than 1-layer sample sets. Sample sets are user-loadable; Nord has many to download, and you can load samples created by you or others (on other gear; the NE is not a sampler).

Nord Stage - great organ, very good other including synth, same uploadable or user-created sample sets. However, smallest is Compact 73, and it's not cheap.

Kurz PC3 - great in every area except not on par with the above for organs

MOX6 is also a great keyboard, but needs to be augmented to cover organ adequately, as suggested by Yamarolorg.

In the value category:

Roland VR-09: very creditable organ (IMHO considerably better than Kurz, though I've only heard it played by others and haven't played one myself). Very small & light and inexpensive, an incredibly good value.

Casio XW-P1, based on what I've heard about it.

I use a Casio XW-P1 as a second board , great synth sounds and "YES" I really like the organs on there too.
I also use the XW-P1 as my full-time "clonewheel", so to speak. I don't use organs nearly as much as some guys, but I want a good sounding organ and be able to use it with a non-weighted action, and the XW-P1 more than does that for me. There are some great videos on YouTube that demonstrate its capabilities.

I already had the Kurz PC3 - with BillW's Leslie patch, it does pretty well for Hammond/Leslie. I never was able myself to get as good a Leslie, but now ALL my KB3 patches (except things like the Jon Lord patch) are using Bill's Leslie (available on the Mastering VAST Forum, if one is a member).

Had a Nord Electro 3 for over a year, liked the organ at first, but it impressed me less as time went by. Now using my PC361 and Hammond SK1-73 combination - between the two, I can get about any needed sound and very good quality.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Someone wanting to make an audio demo of the BillW patch?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I hear folks I respect admiring PC3 organs, and I'd like to have them prove it to me.

This sounds impressive to me...

[video:youtube]

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Nord stage 2,kurzweil pc3k6 and kronos 61 are the best for organs and all purpose.

Stage 2 and hammond sk series are the best for more exclusive organ feeling!

aGREED!

Motif ES8; SK1; X5DR; SSV3; Ventilator; Montage 7, PC4, Arturia 49, Mainstage, Logic

Archived