Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vox 12ax7 distortion pre between BX3 and solid state leslie

sagetunes

Musicians Friend's stupid deal of the day is the Vox Tone Garage Straight 6 Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?src=3TP3DRR&&noPopup=true&src=3TP3DRR

I've already tried a few tube pre's between my v2. Korg BX3 and a Leslie 900...not bad. This almost intrigues me.

PLEASE talk me out of it!

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, but it's not in our contract to talk anyone out of anything that involves spending money or otherwise attempt to remedy GAS. You should have friends there to provide this encouragement when needed (real friends will always be there to not talk you out of spending money, after all), but we're also here for when they fall short in their duties.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

although I'm not into links promoting a vendor's wares on this forum, if I needed an overdrive pedal (I don't) I might try that one. Looks good for the price, and you can always return it if you don't like it.

:nopity:

Good point re price and return option. Sometimes I compare the stupid deal to other actual online prices, and it's not so stupid. This does appear to be a legit half-price. Plus I like the tonal controls that go along with the tube pre. I question the application for organ, but stranger things have happened. Plus I have a bunch of solid state guitar amps in my studio---this could only help w/ that.
Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

I would be inclined to pass if I wanted it for an organ. It is probably too much gain and is voiced for a guitar. I would be more inclined to get something like a cheap $40 ART mic preamp then mash the gas.

Most people IMO overestimate the amount of distortion that should go on their instrument signal. Guitar players are really bad about this. Listen to all the AC/DC covers that sound like chainsaws. Angus' actually tone is pretty darn clean..... LOUD but clean.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

This is similar to the Motion Sound leslie concept. Put a 12AX7 on the front end, with a solid state amp on the amp. An improvement but probably not where you want to be. You'd actually be better off bypassing the solid state amp on the leslie and instead use a tube amp. It will get you much closer to the sound you are looking for.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Archived