Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Billie Holiday's 100th Birthday

Eric Iverson

The great jazz singer Billie Holiday was born 100 years ago yesterday, and local radio stations are devoting 2 days to playing her records.

Some of that stuff is just really superb - Lady Day could interpret lyrics like no other, and had a great sense of swing. The small group material is the best, IMHO, with great players like Lester Young and Ben Webster on sax and Sweets Edison on trumpet, who added beautiful parts that added a lot to the overall tune.

And since this is a GUITAR forum, LOL, Barney Kessel plays great on tunes like "He's Funny That Way" and "When Your Lover Is Gone".

Well worth checking out, I think, even if a person isn't from that era, just for the overall excellence.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd wish her a happy birthday, but I'm not sure she'd HEAR me! :)

Yeah, it seems when you consider how LONG she's been dead that it was obvious she died WAY too young! Well, she WAS just a scant 44 years old! I'M going on 64(this July), so 44 DOES seem rather young.

Sadder still was her hard and troubled life. But, you know....

Something about it gave her delivery a certain ambience that too many vocalists today(female jazz "pretenders") TRY to copy, but fall way too short! I treasure any and all of the far too few recordings I have of hers, and once I get out of here, I'll just HAVE to put on my copy of "Lover Man"!

Whitefang

PS: JUST because it's my "stock in trade", I'll inform that JULIAN LENNON shares her birthday, and is 52 today! ALREADY!!!

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Julian is 52??? Amazing, but figures don't lie!

Unfortunately, LIARS FIGURE, LOL. There is actually a book called "How To Lie with Statistics".

--------------------------

Back to Billie, I'm just now listening to Billie and Lester Young doing "Fine and Mellow", which I think a lot of blues lovers would enjoy. It's on You Tube. If I joined a band as a blues guitarist, I'd learn the solos, even if they weren't played on guitar.

I think to be that good you have to be a tortured soul, many of the greats seem to be tortured souls into smack or booze just to dull the pain. Too bad, it is a sorry sight to behold.

RIP Billy and and a happy birthday wherever you might be roaming.

Unfortunately, LIARS FIGURE, LOL. There is actually a book called "How To Lie with Statistics".

Back to Billie, I'm just now listening to Billie and Lester Young doing "Fine and Mellow", which I think a lot of blues lovers would enjoy. It's on You Tube. If I joined a band as a blues guitarist, I'd learn the solos, even if they weren't played on guitar.

Good advice. I have a friend who does (or did) his best to emulate saxophone solos in order to do "acceptable"(his word) jazz guitar solos! He DOES claim, though, to have NOT been able YET to do any "verbatim" reproductions of CHARLIE PARKER solos!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Here's to her soulful singing and legacy!

Good advice. I have a friend who does (or did) his best to emulate saxophone solos in order to do "acceptable"(his word) jazz guitar solos! He DOES claim, though, to have NOT been able YET to do any "verbatim" reproductions of CHARLIE PARKER solos!

Whitefang

Horn-lines and horn-section harmonies are excellent for guitarists seeking inspiration and lines to borrow. Double-stops like 3rds and "sliding-6ths" framed on horn-section arrangements can be sweet and sound novel on the guitar. And I still maintain that John Coltrane was the best lead-guitarist of all-time. ;):thu::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived