Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha S90 not transmitting CC#11 Expression

George88

I tried to use my S90 to control Mainstage, but Mainstage didn't recognize the expression pedal I had, a Yamaha FC7. I had the pedal in FC 1, but it wouldn't work.

The same set up and pedal works with my Nord Stage 2 with no problem.

I could successfully assign to a controller fader, and when I did, the pedal icon in Mainstage moved up and down as if my foot was triggering it.

Anyone here have any idea what the issue may be? I would greatly appreciate some help. This one has me scratching my head.

Thank you!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's certainly not the pedal. I've worked with S90ES keyboards on various things for years and still want to jump out of a window every time I try to change the pedal settings. These are great keyboards but this sort of thing is horrifyingly poorly implemented.

In Edit mode on Mainstage you should be able to see the S90's MIDI output in the "MIDI in" screen. Is the pedal assigned to something else? Perhaps you can ask Mainstage to listen to that. Otherwise there's some combination of button presses in Utility mode that will get you where you need to go - it always takes me half an hour and a few internet searches to make it happen.

If you've got Mainstage you already have a MIDI monitor utility - it's that little window in the top center of the window in "Edit" mode.

Also, the Yamaha S90 manuals truly are "FM"s. I don't blame anyone for not being able to figure this process out after looking through that gibberish. There are some nicely written articles about controller editing that Yamaha wrote to supplement this documentation that can be found with a bit of searching.

Otherwise there's some combination of button presses in Utility mode that will get you where you need to go - it always takes me half an hour and a few internet searches to make it happen.

You could, oh, I dunno.... RTFM? ;)

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/019/580/yoda-rtfm.jpg

Here's the article that has helped me deal with doing this on the S90Es. I think it's the same process on the S90s.

There's a lot of information in there, but does make sense. (Unlike the f*(&*ing manual that you keep hearing will solve all your problems if you would only read it.)

http://files.keyfax.com/download/S90ES_Assigning_Controllers.pdf

The information is in the original Yamaha manuals, it's just not laid out in a fashion that makes it easy to find how to do one specific task. If you read carefully from cover to cover you'll know how to edit everything in the S90.

I've heard it theorized that the difficulties we Westerners have with some Japanese manuals is cultural. An American wants the manual laid out in terms of actions. For example, I would expect to see a chapter in the S90 manual called "assigning controllers to pedals".

Many Japanese manuals seem to be organized more in terms of just listing facts and functions one at a time. They'll tell you what every single soft-button does, but it's up to you to figure out how to actually do something with those buttons.

This has created many opportunities for publishers and video producers.

So what you're looking for is a case-based tutorial, rather than a manual.

Based on the enormous industry that exists making videos and publishing books that interpret Japanese manuals for Western brains I'd say I'm not the only one.

"Enormous industry" might be overstating the case just a bit... but point taken.

In fact, it's been a source of income for me for many years (tutoring people on how to use their gear/software), so I suppose I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. ;)

(I have to add, though, that I thought you were savvy on Kurzweil gear, Tech? Those manuals are easily as deep and difficult as anything from Roland, Yamaha or Korg...)

I do consider myself well versed with Kurzweil gear, (and have earned some money with that knowledge throughout the years) but that is more due to my having spent countless hours with the things since buying one of the first K2000s. I don't think I've read more than 25 pages of the various manuals of the Ks I've owned through the years.

If I had spent as much time with the Yamaha boards I would probably not find them so difficult to use. My dilemma is that I occasionally have to configure someone else's S90ES to control one of my K2600Rs, which is when my head explodes trying to figure out how to change FC1 from sending CC#7 to CC#11.

I just tried it out with my S90ES, controlled by cubase. First I changed the MIDI OUT stream from USB to MIDI in the S90ES: Press UTILITY --> F5=MIDI --> SF4=OTHER. There You can change MIDI via USB to MIDI OUt. Next verify your needed MIDI-Channel. Press SF1=Keyboard OUT SEND Channel. The FC7 is connected to Foot Controller 1. It sends CC11. The sustain-pedal sends CC64

Archived