Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VB3 organ - a few questions from a software newbie

LX88

I am thinking a taking the plunge and finally putting the VB3 organ program on a laptop.

Right now the Euro is just about equal to the dollar so the VB3 software can be had for slightly over 50 bucks. But before I do this I have some questions.

The controller I will be using is the Williams Legato. I have been enjoying the feel of the 88 semi weighted keys and the Rhodes sound that comes with this package.So I have been very curious to see how it might work with the VB3 program.

The Williams does have the ability to do split function on midi channel 2 , and it sends its midi signal via USB which I assume will be easily compatible with my Dell laptop.

I do want to have the ability to use an upper/ lower manual split, so I am curious as to how this might work with this controller.

Other than that I have heard so many glowing reports on the VB3 that I am curious to try it.I guess I just am wondering if there is anything I need to know that might not be obvious. This will be my first plunge into using software for musical sounds on a laptop.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been using VB3 live for a few years, so here's a couple of points:

- You will really want a MIDI volume pedal.

- You will also want a MIDI switch to turn the leslie sim on/off.

- You NEED a program to host the VB3 VST.

- Your built-in D/A will probably give you good sound to start out with.

- Get all of this working before you worry about buying an interface.

Good luck. Tell us how it worked out.

Don't forget - you can try VB3 as a demo before you pay for it. You'd be able to do all the configuration and make sure it will work for you before you send Guido your money.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Bypass the Rotary effect an opt for a Melda.

MRotary, not the MVintage Rotary.

VB3 and Melda have demos to download.

I have some really cool presets for the Melda MRotary and Melda Multiband Saturator too.

I couldn't be happier and cover all styles and all tones using the Saturator.

It has boosts for not only side bands but pos and neg values for the individual harmonics.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• 2 weeks later...
Would help if the instructor was more instructive than sarcastic.

:facepalm:

What part of "be patient" didn't you understand? When it's ready, it'll be released.

Guido from GSI is also part of the 3-man Crumar Mojo team. VB3 isn't the only thing he does, and the VST/AU version of VB3 is obviously not his main focus at the moment. He recently released a 64-bit Windows version (as was pointed out in this thread), but the Mac version isn't ready.

If you just can't wait any longer, look elsewhere; otherwise take a deep breath and relax.

For the record, I'm patiently waiting for version 2, otherwise I have absolutely no affiliation with GSI. :cool:

The last update from Guido on VB3 64 bit AU was posted here about a month ago. The history is that the 64 bit AU was announced as under development aout 2 years ago. About 12 months ago a pic of a new cocoa compliant GUI was posted. Apparently the 3rd party dev Guido had contracted to build the GUI didn't do the job.

The current status is Guido is back to square one on the 64 bit AU version and is currently focussed on the hardware range including the DMC.

There is no option but to be patient, very patient. Otherwise get 32 Lives from Sound Radix which puts a 64 bit wrapper around VB3. There is a small glitch when used in MainStage 3 but the fix is just one update away, so only a little patience required on this one.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I'm a big fan of Guido S.'s work, and of him. But, he does not like Apple nor their products, and feels they keep moving the bar on him. I'm sure that's a deterrent to developing a 64-bit Mac version of VB3. I appreciate that despite that, he makes an effort to support Mac users anyway. Don't even ask for an iOS version, though. ;)

Also, to be clear, the 64-bit Windows version of VB3 is VB3 I (one), not VB3II that's currently only in the Mojo. The differences in the two versions has been discussed at length elsewhere in other threads.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A rep from Sonicouture hinted on Gearslutz that they are working on a software Hammond product. It seems Guido and NI are about to have a new competitor with a proven track record on vintage keyboard software emulations.

Its about VB3 which is software, there are plenty of other threads on KC about the HX3 and Ventilator.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

A rep from Sonicouture hinted on Gearslutz that they are working on a software Hammond product. It seems Guido and NI are about to have a new competitor with a proven track record on vintage keyboard software emulations.

If it only runs in Kontakt then it is not going to be of much interest to those who choose not to use Kontakt.

Also, it's seems that Apple has caught up with Guido in releasing its new "Vintage B3" instrument now included in Main Stage 3 (for $29). It was only a matter of time.

Guido is obviously not interested in creating his own software product that sounds as good as his $2500+ hardware products.

I think he is making the wrong choice here. Young musicians are into creating their own versatile hardware rigs with custom controllers driving a bevy of software sounds. Who wants to spend $2500 on a dedicated organ when you can get one (along with hundreds of other great instrument sounds) for $29? Even if it only sounds 95% as good as VB3, musicians have proven that they will gladly make that compromise. (I had a sax player turn to me at my last gig to tell me that the Hammond patch coming from my Motif was "the best B3 sound I ever heard"... I guess it was the ventilator. Lol)

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400; Wurlitzer 200; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module

If it only runs in Kontakt then it is not going to be of much interest to those who choose not to use Kontakt.

Many of their libraries, including Broken Wurli, EP73 Deconstructed, Clav, and the new Hammersmith piano, run in the Kontakt Player.

OT:

I don't want to hijack this thread, but

what more do you need besides a HX3 and a Ventilator?

Is this only about software/VST running in Kontakt and the like?

You don't need anymore than whatever platform you happen to have. It is all good.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Even if it only sounds 95% as good as VB3

I am eagerly awaiting your post announcing that you have tweaked Vintage B3 to sound as good as VB3.

Even if it only sounds 95% as good as VB3

I am eagerly awaiting your post announcing that you have tweaked Vintage B3 to sound as good as VB3.

Actually, it sounds better... through a Vent. The VB3 through a Vent sounds pretty bad.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400; Wurlitzer 200; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module

And without a Vent?

Without a Vent I prefer the VB3 for softer playing, and Vintage B3 for more aggressive sounds. But neither has a good Leslie sim.

Archived