Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT(?) Weeknight Gigs and Sleep Deprivation

montunoman

I got a good news/bad news type situation. I got offered a nice steady gig that pays well. The bad news its on a Monday and Tuesday 8pm-12pm night and I have a day job that starts early in the morning. Im usually up by 5AM.

Im a big believer in getting a good nights sleep and I try to follow a routine sleeping pattern. About the only thing that breaks my sleeping routine is my gigs. Weekends are not a problem but weeknights are more challenging. Hopefully if I get some extra sleep on Sunday and Wednesday nights and try to get a nap in on Monday and Tuesday afternoon I shouldnt be too sleep deprived.

So to yall with day jobs and gigs on week nights, how do you cope with sleep deprivation?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't coped with it since I was much younger.

At one point I was living in Dayton working an engineering job, and driving to Cincinnati 4 nights a week for a band. At least it was a house gig! I think I lasted 8 months, which surprised everyone.

Moe

---

That's a tough one. It's been a long time since I've been able to function on less than 7/8 hours. When my kid was born I went almost a year with less than that and was literally dizzy at the day job. Ultimately, I had to back off gigging until things improved.

These days, I'd pass on a Monday/Tuesday till 12pm gig. But yeah, if you take it, you have to wind down on the drive home and get yourself into bed right away without watching the tube or reading keyboard corner. Make up for it by turning in a little earlier on Wed and Trs.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Wow, that's rough, especially for us old farts with day gigs. I'm in two bands that rehearse on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, respectively, until around 11:00....but then there's the drive home and "unwinding" when I get home. So I usually don't hit the sack until after midnight. I usually feel reasonably well on Wednesdays, but drag ass on Thursdays. I really enjoy playing in both bands, so it is worth "suffering" for one day. But only you can decide if it is worth it. I'd give it a whirl and see how it goes.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Pretty much same here - I could do it without too much trouble in my 20s and 30s, but since I hit my 40s...forget avout it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

My day job was with the Post Office and I walked about 9 miles a day. A typical weekend was up at 6am Friday work to about 5pm shower eat and leave for band job. I would get home anywhere from 3:30 to 4:30. Back up at 6am and repeat Friday's schedule. A lot of Saturdays we would double up and play a wedding reception early Saturday and bar job at night. I was in my 30's and 40's. I am 63 now and getting tired typing this.

Its been scientifically proven that people who work night shifts are more prone to serious health issues.

We Humans are a diurnal species, I would politely turn it down, your health is far more important.

" I may not be as good a player as you but I'm having fun "

I'm a healthy guy at 51, but play in multiple bands with a day job. After passing out on the morning train and rushed to the hospital a couple of weeks ago, I've had a wake up call. They found nothing wrong, but said I must reduce stress and get more sleep. I am already turning down some unnecessary gigs.
Lenny

You say you can take naps on those afternoons so is it just a few hours in the mornings? Although not ideal that's doable - especially since it's just a couple of days a week.

It's all up to you and how well you handle stuff like this. I've done it practically all my life, but as many have said it gets harder as you get older.

In my opinion it all depends on your age. When I was in the twenties I gigged at night clubs, drove straight to my job in the kinder garden and slept 2 or 3 hours on a bench there before the kids started to come. I was tired all day, but young and foolish and it worked in a way for a day or two every week. Today I would be dead if I did the same.

CP4 - Solaris - Kurzweil Forte - Minimoog -

- Mellotron M4000Dm - Motif rackXS - DX5 - SY99 - Rhodes 73 - HX3 - Hammond B3/2x147 - Montage7

Its been scientifically proven that people who work night shifts are more prone to serious health issues.

We Humans are a diurnal species, I would politely turn it down, your health is far more important.

Those studies are based on people who consistently work the overnight shift - doesn't really apply to a someone working late a couple nights a week.

I'm guessing there isn't a way to adjust your schedule to come in later and work later the days after the gigs? That would be an ideal solution if you could work it.

The nap is probably your best option - just be aware you will probably be so keyed up after your gig you may not get much sleep afterwards. Get the caffeine ready! http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/coffee/smileys-coffee-578570.gif

Whether you can handle it depends on your age and what sort of day job we are talking about. As others have said, in your 20's you can pull this off but past a certain age there is simply not enough wax to burn the candle at both ends.

And do you really need to be on the ball at work, or can you just drift through it a couple days a week? I know I couldn't be getting to sleep at 2 and doing my job well. The extra money from the gig wouldn't be worth the damage to my career.

But that's me and my priorities. My day job career has always been more important than playing music. For someone who sees it the opposite, it might be reasonable to do the gig at the expense of some day job performance.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

My band was recently offered a 6-week Tuesday night residency at a club in Portland, which is about a 90 minute drive from here. Our sax player lives another 40 minutes farther away. We passed on it because it would just be too disruptive to all of our work and family lives, but it's kind of frustrating because we've been trying to book something in Portland for months, and this would have been a good audience building experience.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I can do that one worknight a week, no problem. but 2, and in a row, every week?

thats gonna be tough on me at about week 3. i'm 53.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I just finished a week where I was in the orchestra for an original musical play presented by my church.

Rehearsal until 9:30 Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday, then performances Thursday, Friday, & Saturday. On top of that, my alarm goes off at 4:30 AM for work.

Might not have been so bad, but I had severe ear worms where I could not get the songs from the play to stop playing in my head.

Then I played in Church Sunday, and we took my sister-in-law to dinner for her birthday. I'm in need of some sleep. I'm getting too old for that anymore.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I remember driving home from Quebec after a Sun night gig, the last of a 4 nighter

past the factory I was working at, to go home, shower, return and start a 12 hour shift on Monday at 7 am. I have no idea how I survived that kinda thing.

I frequently play 3 and 4 nights a week along with my day gig, (5 nights next week, Tuesday a private party and Billy Bobs in Fort Worth Wed-Sat) although not every week.

I find a quick nap between the day job and gig helps me out a lot. In addition, I try to get a couple extra hours the night before the gigs start.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Archived