Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Strat bridges: Two-post vs. six-screws?

zumajim

All four of my Strats (newest being a 2006 Baja) have the classic 6-screw trem bridge but the USA standard Strats all have the 2-post style (like a Floyd Rose). Tone freaks say that the two-post style robs the guitar of resonance by providing fewer pathways for string vibration to reach the body. I'm sure the 2-post style is better for reducing friction but not much else. Do you think it makes a difference either way?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Correct set-up is a lot more important than whether your Strat came with a two-screw or a six-screw bridge. To the best of my recollection, the majority of Stevie Ray Vaughan's six-screw Strat bridges only had the outer-two screws in place, with the remaining inner-four removed; that should put that in perspective.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I think the biggest tone difference is in the pickups and the way they are wired. The Eric Johnson 57 reissue is a special guitar built to his specs. He states that he can hear the difference in tone when the spring plate cover is removed. His model comes without the cover and 5 springs as he claims this gives it better tone. Eric Clapton also blocks out the tremolo and doesn't use the bar but only uses 3 springs. So I guess that the newer post tremolos can make a difference if you have the ears of these two great players...

The older strats had no tone control on the bridge pickup. The Eric Johnson signature reissue does along with many of the newer strats with S1 switching. He's been wiring his strats differently since the 70's. He uses the tone pot on the bridge pick up instead of the middle. By default he also has tone control on the middle pickup in the 4th position. Leo Fender loved the full jangly treble sound he came up with by slanting the bridge pickup and could see no reason for a tone pot on the bridge as; why anyone would want to roll that great sounding full treble off a little? According to an article I read, Eric did not concur, and by rolling the bridge and middle pickup off 35% in the 4th position, he says he can get the humbucker sound of a Gibson SG. He also liked having some tone control over the bridge pickup. Anyway, for most of us, we probably don't get the subtle tone differences like Eric C and J and SRV do with the whammy set up and differences. I think either system old/new works just fine...

Take care, Larryz

Archived