Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old thread reprise: BLEEDING FINGERS

whitefang

I STILL believe I've been here longer than the 2002 registration date given under my "avatar"....but regardless....

This is a reprise of one of my FIRST( if not THE first) thread I ever started. And since there's been PLENTY of new members since, why NOT repeat it? And it's due to my being in some place recently that had a "classic rock" station on the PA, and that silly BRIAN ADAMS song, "Summer Of 1969" was playing...

In it, he has a line about playing his "first real 6-string" until "My fingers bled" !

!!

I've heard this phrase used over the years a lot, and always wondered.

HAS anyone REALLY practiced until their fingers ACTUALLY started BLEEDING? :o

And, wouldn't THAT kind of SLOW DOWN any progress? You know, with the having to wait until they HEALED before RESUMING practice?

And, would one WANT to resume practice after THAT?

So....Did YOU, or ANYone you know EVER practice until your FINGERS BLED?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I remember back in "the day", when RAVI SHANKAR was new to ALL of us, the legend going around was that as a youth, he'd practice his sitar until his fingers would bleed.

I remember wondering at the time, "did his fingers REALLY BLEED? Or, are they just using the phrase to indicate his level of DEDICATION?"

Like, I knew people(like my ex's mother!) who WOULD talk a LOT! But, NEVER actually turned BLUE IN THE FACE!

NEVER actually seen ANYbody get the SHIT beat out of them( mostly, just BLOOD!)

Even in spite of HOW much my ex's mom TALKED, NObody's EARS ever really FELL OFF! NOR did my ASS ever fall off REGARDLESS of HOW cold it got! :D

So, I'm left wondering....Did the phrase "until my(or his) FINGERS BLED" really start off as one of THOSE type of phrases?

Whitefang

Nels Cline has been a huge influence on me & a major guitar hero since I first met him maybe 35 years ago. I was at one of his solo gigs about 10 years back which was a particularly raging & furious performance. I told him afterwards that it was a great set & fabulously impassioned. He just held up his right hand, showing that his fingers were bloody. Literally bleeding, from shredding so furiously.

So, it is possible, although this was his picking hand, not his fretting hand.

Scott Fraser

I have skinned my picking hand and drawn blood while both practicing and playing live. Had nothing to do with how LONG I was playing, just kinda happened.

Never drawn blood on my fret hand, though. Have had callouses peel off while practicing, but they didn't bleed.

HAS anyone REALLY practiced until their fingers ACTUALLY started BLEEDING?

Yep it happened to me one time way back in the early days. A bunch of guitar players were hanging out one night all cranked up, (this is maybe late 60's or early 70's or so) We did an all nighter just jamming and jamming and jamming. Long about dawn I noticed a little blood on my fingerboard. That was my cue to lay the thing down for a few days. True Story. My friend had just been given a 67 Stratocaster by his step dad. I had one also but his was older and the tone coming out of his was just awesome, much deeper and fatter than mine.

Anyways that is the last time it ever happened to me but it did truthfully. I had forgotten about that until you asked the question.

I know a guitar player who has a skin disease, and his fingers bleed occasionally when he plays.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm not going to post the pic 'cause it's really bloody, but Pete Townshend was windmilling so hard on a Strat at a 1980 show that he impaled his right hand on the Strat's whammy bar. :o

Yeah, I think I recall hearing about that! OW! :o

I'm sure there are exceptional circumstances....like SKIN DISEASES and all...or "getting into it" so much you lose control and cause some injury.

But, DBM, how many days was it until you COULD play again with a good level of comfort? And, since you WEREN'T practicing, I doubt it slowed down any progress. :)

I've had those tiny, little CRACKS on the ends of my fingers like I recently saw in some TV commercial for something or other, but THEY weren't caused by practice. In fact, I had NO idea what caused them! I also sometimes, for some reason, get plagued by "ingrown" fingernails! Not TOO often, but THEY are a BITCH! :mad:

But, regrettably, the closest I can come is to say that when we were kids, my BROTHER used to practice his CLARINET until all of our EARS would bleed( which in his case, didn't take long!) :D

Whitefang

In Montreal the weather gets pretty cold, my fingers split each year and when it gets to blood (by mid-January usually) I coat the cuts and slices with krazy-glue and keep going. Sometimes I coat my fingers before winter which avoids the problem somewhat.

Only get this from playing in cold weather, no problem in the summer months. If krazy-glue was good enough for the medics to close battlefield wounds in VietNam.....

Just don't touch anything while it dries.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

They DO have some stuff called "Nu-Skin". Ever try that?

And anyway, THAT'S also a case of your fingers NOT bleeding due to how long you PRACTICE! :)

Whitefang

+1 on Nu-Skin. I've never had bleeding fingers but it works great for calluses that start to peel.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Ha!

I've had PLENTY of bleeding fingers( worked in the SHEET METAL division at Cadillac for 14 years!), but never from playing guitar!

It was THERE I've first encountered Nu-Skin! Down in the MEDICAL department( we workers simply called it "medical")

They also had a great green colored analgesic liquid that when you went there for muscle problems, they'd give you a little jar of it to take home. STILL have some here, and I've been officially retired for 15 years! The FUNNY thing about it is the NAME of it! They decided to utilize a portion of the word "analgesic" and the name of the product, on the jar reads, .... "Anal Gel"! :D Well, since my DAD worked there for 29 years, and I GREW UP always seeing this stuff in the house, and as a "new hire" who went to "medical" the first time, was given a little jar of my OWN of this stuff, I COULDN'T RESIST!

"ANAL GEL?" I asked, emphasizing the ANAL, "But, it's my BACK that hurts!" the nurse got wide-eyed and admonished..."Oh, you DON'T want to be putting that stuff where YOU'RE thinkin'!" :D

Whitefang

Archived