Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Youtube documentaries - Music or otherwise

LX88

Hi

I just got a new computer set up and TV that allows me to connect to Youtube more esily than I was previously able to do.

So I am wondering if some of you have some suggestions regarding some favorite documentaries that relate to music history, and possibly some favorite performances or even some non musical suggestions.

I have passed on getting a cable subscription because there is so damn much good stuff available on Youtube. I post this because I don't want to miss anything important....

Let me know about some of your favorites. I just got done watching the Buddy Rich documentary by the way. Like him or not, there are several superhuman performances on this and it is very well written , and well narrated by Mel Torme.

Another one that I watched is called " First Gravy - Journeys of the Hammond Organ". One thing of real interest to me in this is that there are several clips of Dr. Lonnie Smith playing my very first Hammond - a 1959 A 100 that I sold to a club called The Blue Monk in Portland Oregon. Now that was a great instrument....

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto on the Last Waltz being one of the very best. It really captures some of the great artists of that time, and is very well filmed and recorded. I loved the Van Morrison performance too.

There is a documentary on the Band on You Tube that is also in pieces, but is well worth watching.

Not music related but there's lots of documentaries (full length) from History Channel (and others). I've watched several relating to military/snipers. Very compelling stuff.
Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

This one is kinda cool if you're a history/flying buff. It's how the P-47 Thunderbolt WWII fighter was shipped in two crates and put together on the field in just a couple of hours, even using the crates as part of the process as platforms/risers.

Yankee ingenuity at its best.

https://youtu.be/V2D3k0sJ8HM

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Check out a documentary titled One Hell of a Tale

It is split into six 10 minute parts. It is an interview with one of the pilots of the plane that crashed into an Iowa corn field in the 80s. It is wonderfully shot and edited.

Give it a try. It is a haunting account.

Albert and David Maysles and Charlotte Zwerin's documentary of the last weeks of the Rolling Stone's 1969 US Tour (culminating in the Altamont concert). In its entirety:

[video:youtube]

Watched it on youtube a few weeks ago.

U1 | NP | NS3 | NE3 HP | K10

Chet Baker documentary. Fascinating and sad tale of a jazz legend who was a superstar in the 50's who lived the "lush life", yet was a great player till the end.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwChgqMx2lE

Vietnam The Ten Thousand Day War - 13 part series, imo the best doc about the war. There's other doc's, but this one has more of the Vietnamese POV.

[video:youtube]

"Ancient Mysteries" narrated by Leornard Nimoy. Weekly series from the 90's. Nimoy does a great job hosting and narrating.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40nkKmxAxc

Archived