Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Review of Tuskbuffers new picks!

A String

I recently had the opportunity to try out the water buffalo bone, and horn picks by Tuskbuffer.

First off, a disclaimer: I was sent the picks for free, in order to review them. However, I was not paid for endorsement and the expectation was for me to provide a fully honest review which is what I intend to do.

As some of you may know, I am already a HUGE fan of Tuskbuffer's Woolly Mammoth tusk picks. I've been using them for a while now and they quickly replaced my nylon collection. If you haven't tried them yet, not only are the picks fantastic, but you must admit, the cool factor is through the roof!

Now...on to the new picks. First off, I'd like to comment on the care that is given to the packaging of these picks. They arrived safely and quickly. The picks were carefully wrapped up in bubble wrap to protect them during shipping. After opening them, it was clear that these picks were hand crafted. Beautifully shaped and polished to perfection. It is obviously a labour of love and one that does not go unnoticed by me.

The first pick I tried was the bone pick. I found it to be bright and it really brought out the higher end tones of my Strat. It had a crispness to it that, while not the perfect sound for me, is really something I hear a lot of other players striving for. If you are looking to add precision and brightness to your playing, the bone pick is a great place to start. It has similar qualities to a stone pick, but without being as bright and harsh.

Now, on to my favourite: The Horn pick. It was sturdy and really helped provide an enhanced accuracy to my playing, yet it has a wonderful warmth to it, considering it's thickness.

Also, the pick itself has a great feel to it. It doesn't feel slippery at all, despite the smoothness. It sort of, "sticks" to your fingers. (By the way; that same smoothness is what allows them to glide so easily across your strings!)

If, like me, you want to add the precision of a sturdier pick to your playing, without giving up on the warmth you get from normal picks, a horn pick by Tuskbuffer is highly recommended.

In the end, I have switched out my old nylon picks for horn picks; both of the woolly mammoth, and now the water buffalo, variety. Who knew I would fall in love with horn picks?

You can check them out and buy yourself some of these great picks by visiting http://www.tuskbuffer.net/

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good stuff! :cool::2thu: I had a Tuskbuffer fossil-ivory pick once, a gift from a friend; I can attest to your general observations. If I wasn't a 100% fingerstyle player, if I used a pick much at all, I would definitely buy several custom Mammoth Tusk and Water Buffalo Horn picks from Tuskbuffer. As it is, I gave mine to a promising young player who was on his way to Berklee.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've had a couple for a while now and though they take a little getting used to, they are super picks.

I even had a custom image put on one that came out superb and Craig is right, the craftsmanship and packaging is second to none.

I would recommend them to anyone.

:rawk:

"Just play!"

I'd love to hear a review of these picks compared to Dunlop and similar stubby picks. I love Dunlop Tortex stubby picks - durable, easy gripping, great precision, and handles different attack angles with ease. How do these stack up?

i am a big stubby user, 3.0 mm, i use both the Kevlar and nylon BS picks. recently i grabbed a buffalo bone pick at my local haunt. i will definitely be getting a Tusk Buffer pick. that bone pick is my main pick now. the pick i have is the same size as a Big Stubby and thickness.

Bone rules, the tone is solid without the glassy noise of Kevlar and they do stick to your fingers. my picking is more accurate because i don't have the pick shifting. i am a believer in bone for tone and comfort.

now to figure out what details i want in my Tusk Buffer pick.

No need for a review here-some of you may know, that I have a one-of-a kind pick that was made from a model I sent, and I was able to use the trade-in value of the model pick against the cost of the one made for me.

Tuskbuffer is a straight shooter and a good guy, I would second any recommendation.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Hey! Thanks for the review A String - I really appreciate it!

Of course Mammoth Ivory is still my focus, but I'm really excited to bring buffalo bone and horn into the mix. They are a lower cost alternative but still deliver exceptional performance. Some people like the bone better between the two, some like the horn - this tells me I made the right decision in going for both. I may add other materials too, but I think this is a good start.

Right now I only offer the new picks in triangle and kind of a rounded standard in 2.5 mm. I'm also thinking of offering 1.5 mm and 2 mm thicknesses - what do you guys think?

Also - I've got the bone and horn picks priced at $5.50 each (or $5 each in a combo pack)...do you agree that is a good and fair price point?

Oh yeah, and the 3 mm Big Stubby - I love making that pick in Mammoth Ivory! It's one of the most difficult ones I make, but man do they come out beautiful and feel sooooo nice in the hand.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm doing some shameless marketing here - you guys have always been great to bounce ideas off of!

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

Hey Tuskbuffer - I'm interested in the Big Stubby 3mm Mammoth Ivory.

Would you PM me the price and what I need to do to get one?

Thanks!!!

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Thanks Larryz - I'll be announcing it on my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/Tuskbuffer when I start moving forward with the other sizes - sometime in May most likely. I would announce it here but if it's going to be a while I don't want to be 'that guy' that never posts unless he wants to sell you something :)

SEHpicker - PM sent - Thanks!

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

Archived