Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What pianos/organs did Roland sample?

marczellm

Now that I've gotten my Stage 2, and engaged myself in the "pretend that I know what I'm doing and swap the piano samples in and out" snobbery, I started wondering.

What piano manufacturers are the source of grand piano samples found in Roland products? There is an old piano sample in the JV/XV/XP line that I can recognize, then the Fantom S, X and G all introduced new piano multisamples, and finally the SuperNatural piano which combines sampling and modeling.

While at it, I would also be very interested in how this totally not-organ-like organ sound was made that was introduced with the D-70 and the U series samplers at the end of the 80s and is still found in the GM section in today's Roland pianos.

D-70 sample

U-220 sample

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always chuckle at the lengths some manufacturers go to avoid admitting they sampled a particular grand (perhaps for advertising or royalty purposes). You'll hear references like "German grand" or "New York grand". Others are more forthright about it. Now that Yamaha owns Bosendorfer they are quick to tout their samples, but I have no idea what Roland has based their samples on. My Kawai is based largely on K.Kawai pianos, but a couple sure sound like a Yamaha C7.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I'm not sure exactly what you're ultimately after here, but my initial response would be to ask: "what difference does it make?"

Suppose it was a Steinway. One Steinway is going to sound different than another, just as to Bosie's are going to sound different. Does it matter? You were using a Roland, now you're using a Nord. Use your ears and pick the best Nord patch for the song.

Now going back to the D70/U20 days is another story. Some I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of LA synthesis was that it was short sampled PCM attacks along with basically single-cycle wave forms, filter and amp envelopes. So a sound in one of those keyboards was not a completely sampled sound. They didn't have the memory for complete samples back then.

As to what made it into GM sounds - that was the beginning of GM (or later, Roland GS). So the early sounds were continued in future GM/GS sound sets so that GM SMF's would sound the same on subsequent keyboards - that was the whole point.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Dan, it's pure curiosity, nothing else.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Dan, it's pure curiosity, nothing else.

Fair enough.

I always wonder how many sample libraries just get re-used with each new model. I'm guessing that's typically the case.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It was my understanding the V-Piano used no samples. It was all purely audio algorithms. I kind of figured the V-Piano technology would trickle down ...... But I don't know how Roland does anything.

Maybe they sampled the V-Piano. :laugh:

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I always wonder how many sample libraries just get re-used with each new model. I'm guessing that's typically the case.

I suspect that sampled data is sonic gold and is reused as much as possible.

When Kurzweil came out with the Kore 64 expansion I figured there was a bigger planned purpose for that material than to just provide an expansion board for the PC3 users. Sho 'nuff, some of that content is in the current crop of Kurzweil boards.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Archived