Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog Drive pedal - yes or no?

Tom Fiala

THinking about trying the Moog Drive pedal on my Voce v5 box, for overdrive / distortion. Can anyone give me a summary of their experience with this pedal? Or would the ring mod pedal be a better choice?

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still looking for the perfect distortion / overdrive sound. Having read that Jon Lord used a ring modulator with DP got me thinking about that. And a chronic case of GAS got me excited about the new Minifooger Drive pedal. Sounds like you've used both, Tim? Maybe I'm not fully understanding their capabilities?

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Tom,

No, to be clear I've used NEITHER. I was interested in the MF Drive when it came out, but all the reviews I've read online relate to using it with electric guitar. Those reviews seem to unanimously report the device is capable of a wealth of different sounds - more so than the lion's share of $200 OD pedals - but because the knobs are so interactive it takes a lot of patience and trial / error to get the sound you're after.

Ring mod, I typically think of in the Herbie / Zawinul applications, way different than the creamy "hot power tube" OD I think of on B3. And Jon Lord? Well, that's a different beast altogether.

When you mention his name, I immediately think of the GSi Burn.

In terms of Jon Lord and ring mod with his organ, it seems 2:38 of this classic intro demonstrates its use...is this what you're looking for?

[video:youtube]

Although I have experience with both of these pedals, I never ran my A-100 through them . That being said, currently my Rhodes piano is running through a MoogerFooger Rind Mod (amongst other pedals) any my Hohner E7 is running through a MiniFooger Ring Mod (amongst other pedals). The MiniFooger sounds the same as it's big brother, but I can't dial in exactly what I want. I would spend the extra money if you can spare it and buy the MF-102. I purchased a MiniFooger Drive pedal and returned it. Wanted to love it, tried to love it, it just didn't work out between us. I was all about the ladder filter being used in the pedal. Tried it with my Rhodes, Clavinet, and Wurlitzer, just wasn't my thing. For overdrive I use a Fulltone Full Drive 3 Custom Shop pedal. Love it. You typically can find them used for less that $200.

:nopity:

I purchased a MiniFooger Drive pedal and returned it. Wanted to love it, tried to love it, it just didn't work out between us. I was all about the ladder filter being used in the pedal.

I almost got one, (for the ladder filter) until one of the guys on Moog Forum made it very clear to me that the filter in the Minifooger drive is tuned nothing like the MF 101 (or the ladder filter in the Moog synths).

It may still be attractive for tone for some though. Gordon Reid seems to like it ...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may14/articles/moog-minifoogers.htm

It may still be attractive for tone for some though. Gordon Reid seems to like it ...

I had read that review before purchasing mine. I believe he is playing a synth through the Minifooger Drive for the review. I also read on the Moog forum that some one was loving it running his Voyager through it. I never ran any of my synths through it. Not my thing.

:nopity:

The big Moog ring mod is a pretty versatile effect. there is some beautiful trem in there, and some very controllable and subtle ring mod that can add a unique grit to the sound. and of course it can do the robot sounds.

the mini ring mod is less versatile (no trem), but is good at what it does.

the mf drive is very versatile but as with some others i didn't bond with it. for rhodes & clav, two of my favorite overdrives are the BJF/Bearfoot honey bee and the Occtone PMC/MKII (a very well-modded boss distortions). Both of those provide a very round, vintage, tubey sounding distortion. very controllable by playing dynamics. and they don't get fizzy on the high end, while managing not to be too dark. (note for a lot of guitar-oriented pedals, you'll want to send them a lower output signal, unless you want to slam them and run them at their extremes)

note that i use tube/guitar amps and speakers for all these types of sounds. if you are using a flat power amp, you might need an eq, because if you just slap on an overdrive unit you'll probably end up hearing a whole bunch of high end fizz and weirdness that gets rolled off with a more vintage setup.

similarly, if you are specifically looking for a distortion effect for digital piano, i don't know how applicable my suggestions would be. though I always thought EST's distorted piano effects came off well and IIRC he used a pod.

Neither pedal is what you're looking for. I have both in my arsenal of pedals for keys and guitar, but they're for very specific purposes. The Drive can add all kinds of unique gritty textures to your sound, but dialing it in as a transparent boost or traditional overdrive pedal is quite difficult. The Ring is more for wacked-out pseudo-atonal clangorous noises a la fusion players like Corea and Hancock. Lord uses it as a special effect at certain points, not for his main sound. That was generated by running his organ into Marshall tube amps. Short of that, you could experiment with different tubescreamer pedals and see if any have the sound you want.
"Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." Ornette Coleman

my useless experiments :roll:

bass and Hammond Organ with Moog MF Drive

Minimoog with Moog MF Drive

the MF Drive is a funny toy, but it is NOT the definitive Organ Overdrive.

If you're searching for classic tube overdrive specifically designed (frequencies) for organ there are a couple of different solutions (both from Germany):

ORGAN DRIVE

ORGAN & GROOVE

or, this one (but seems difficult to have any information via email):

FARNDURK

:2thu:

Nice tracks, KRK!

I do like the sound of the Moog MF Drive, especially on bass. Might have to get one for the studio!

But, in terms of organ OD & distortion, the german-built "Organ Drive" really seems to have the grit and tone. On their site, there are some MP3's. The cover of "Easy Livin'" sold it for me!

Let me see what I can do about getting that gear sent to me here in Florida.

And thank you, everyone, for getting me straightened out on the ring-mod issue!

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Archived