Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Artis SE - anyone play one?

Longtcopp

Hi there. I posted about a month ago looking for advice on some mid-range, lightweight gigging keyboards. There was some great advice offered, including going with two keyboards. As much sense as that makes, I need to stick to one board, for various reasons. I was leaning towards the Roland FA-8, after considering the Korg Krome, Kawai MP7 & Yamaha MXO8 for a while. All great machines, but lacking in feel or sound for me. While the Roland was on top, it was still just OK and had a bunch of features I'd never use, such as the sampler.

While looking around online, I found the Kurzweil Artis SE. It seemed kind of perfect for what I needed. Weight was at the upper end, but the sound was amazing (granted, all heard through You Tube videos so that's taken with a grain of salt) and the general interface seemed easy to navigate. The one problem is that there don't seem to be any within 200 miles of me to try to see if I like the action. The idea of buying any keyboard sight unplayed makes me pretty nervous. I suppose I could go to a local brick & mortar with a good return policy, but, before I go through with that, I wanted to get the opinion of anyone who's played one, if possible.

Anyone tried a Kurzweil Artis SE and have an opinion about it, especially the keybed/action? I'll be playing mostly piano & organ, if that helps.

Thanks, big time,

LTC.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone tried a Kurzweil Artis SE and have an opinion about it, especially the keybed/action? I'll be playing mostly piano & organ, if that helps.

Thanks, big time,

LTC.

Link to Kurzweil's website: http://kurzweil.com/product/artis-se/specs/

Fatar TP-100 is the action in the Artis SE (38.6 lbs.) and in my Nord Electro 3HP (24.25 lbs.).

It's a fine action. However, the priority was weight reduction of the unit.

The Fatar TP/40L that's used in the Forte (48 lbs.) is considered superior.

Ideally, as you know, you want a hammer action for piano and a weighted synth/organ action for organ (and other) programs.

For my needs, the TP-100 action works well. Better for piano than organ. Obviously, if I was playing more organ than piano I would want two boards.

Everything's a compromise.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The TP100 action is also in the Nord Piano 2HP, Electro 4HP, as well as Kurzweil Artis, SP4-8, CUP-110 and CUP-220.

I also own an Electro 3HP, and feel it's fine for playing piano. I've tested the SP4-8 and Artis and, to me at least, the TP100 action feels better on those than it does on the Nord. I don't know why, because Nord says they don't make any physical changes to the action, but it just feels different. On the SP4-8 and Artis, the feel and connection are very good for my style of playing.

Doesn't work as well for organ on the HP. I can do some techniques but not others. The keys will bounce back and double trigger notes if you try to play rapid organ passages. As a general rule, piano style keyboards can lead to potentially painful and bloody results when trying to do organ smears.

I played it at NAMM for about 20 minutes, and did not like the action. Although someone pointed out in another thread that it is supposed to be the same action as the Electro 5HP, they feel very different. The Electro has a snap to it that makes it feel more piano-like. I liked the sounds in the Kurz, though, very musical.

afaik the Artis semi-weighteds all use the TP8, nto the TP100...

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

afaik the Artis semi-weighteds all use the TP8, nto the TP100...

The Arits and Artis SE both definitely use the hammer-weighted TP100. The Artis 7 uses the semi-weighted TP8.

http://kurzweil.com/product/artis/specs/

http://kurzweil.com/product/artis-se/specs/

http://kurzweil.com/product/artis7/specs/

BTW I agree completely with ITGITC's assessment of the TP100 vs TP40L above.

So, I'm curious about this. All the boards mentioned that use the TP100 (different from the TP100LR, TP100H, etc?) above are hard to locate where I am, too.

Is there any mainstream keyboard that anyone finds it close to, like the ones mentioned by the OP? Is it like a MXO8, for instance? I know that it's hard to make these comparisons -just a best guess? Would you say it's as good as an FA-08? Thanks

FA-08 feels a bit different because of escapement simulation. I'd say TP100 feels close to MOX8 or Casio - shorter keys, harder to press back of the keys, a bit noisy. Typical "lighter" version of keybed.

Archived