Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New music?!?!?!?! anyone buy new music.

Lokair

I finally admitted to my self that I have yet to buy any new music in over 5 years. I am stuck with little or no growth in music. So I made my self a deal buy atleast One new album a month.

Started with 4 albums and stayed well with in my comfort level

1. Tremonti - All I was (2012)

2. Seventh Void - Heaven is gone (2009)

3. Michael Schenker - Bridge the gap (2013)

4. A Pale Horse Named Death - And Hell Will Follow Me (2011)

I know none of these are brand new, Next month I will probably adventure more with stuff with in 2 years.

Has any one else been stuck listening to the same old stuff for far too long. And if so is that just the human condition or is it something we can change.

Also if you have any suggestions I would be glad to listen to anything at least once.

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not exactly "new", but...

...search-up 'n' scope-out:

The Mars Volta

Them Crooked Vultures (featuring John Paul Jones :cool: )

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

It's not too late to pre-order Glass Hammer's latest, "The Breaking of the World". That is, if you like symphonic prog. In a similar vein, Dave Kerzner's "New World" cd is excellent, and I'm looking forward to Steve Hackett's new one, "Wolflight".

I'll admit, I don't buy as much as I used to, and not as much as I'd like. I buy CDs; I very rarely download, as I don't have a portable mp3 player. (And before you say "use your phone", my phone is old enough to just be used as a phone. To talk to real people.) I now tend to buy in splurges, or pre-orders/crowd-funders as may apply. I miss having record stores where I can browse and buy a variety of things that I want all at once; Amazon isn't the same. Very few stores have what I'm looking for. I'll buy from the artist's website, but then you get one at a time (maybe two if you're getting back catalogue, too). But rarely multiple artists at the same time. Eh, 1st world problems.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I have not bought a single thing in years and years as far as new music goes. In fact the only time I ever listen to music is when I record something, or on the road and I have literally thousands of MP3's from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and some 80's for that. I also have hundreds of CD's from those times as well. I do also listen to music when the wifey puts on the TV, I don't like the sound of the TV so I block it out with my mp3 player.

Basically I don't listen to music much anymore, so no need to buy new stuff.

I seldom buy new music anymore. I listen to Pandora and Youtube. Since I like Jazz standards, there's just about everything I like is available online.

In addition, I do own a very tasty CD collection.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Since I usually end up in bands that play Top 40 from the '50s to today I have to keep up with the latest music. For that I usually listen to *gasp* FM radio. (I used to listen to SiriusXM, too, but my free subscription ran out and I don't need a $15/month "habit" like that. lol)

There is also plenty of information on the web, such as Billboard and Wikipedia. For example, I've heard Imagine Dragons on the radio for a while now; it's easy to look up their entire discography on Wiki.

I've really liked everything I've heard from the Alabama Shakes! :cool: They practically qualify as "old" music, though, no matter how recently released! :thu::D

i cannot go without music and i try to get new music if i can find it on the shelves.

new releases i am listening to lately

Freak Kitchen - cooking with pagans

Judas Priest - redeemer of souls

Birds of Satan - Birds of Satan

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways

Headstones - One in the chamber music

You and Me - Rose Ave

AC/DC - rock or bust

Ace Frehley - Space Invader

no shortage of music in my opinion. there are more i have but i decided to only include recent cd's.

I finally admitted to my self that I have yet to buy any new music in over 5 years. I am stuck with little or no growth in music. So I made my self a deal buy atleast One new album a month.

Started with 4 albums and stayed well with in my comfort level

1. Tremonti - All I was (2012)

2. Seventh Void - Heaven is gone (2009)

3. Michael Schenker - Bridge the gap (2013)

4. A Pale Horse Named Death - And Hell Will Follow Me (2011)

I know none of these are brand new, Next month I will probably adventure more with stuff with in 2 years.

Has any one else been stuck listening to the same old stuff for far too long. And if so is that just the human condition or is it something we can change.

Also if you have any suggestions I would be glad to listen to anything at least once.

A Pale Horse Named Death certainly isn't every ones cup of tea, i bought that too, love Heroin Train. with my sons and i buying music we get quite a flow coming into the house.

i am lucky to be able to wear a headset at work and listen to cool music all day. i cannot go without music period. i need to look for new things and so far my discoveries are really exciting for me.

i have no desire to listen to the same stuff i listened to when i was 18 forever. i want to absorb different players and music. i still have the same excitement finding new stuff to buy. music is awesome.

i have to be really bored to even turn on a TV.

I'm not a fan of new music...but I do keep an ear out just in case something comes up. I'm pre 2,000 and mostly prefer 50's 60's & 70's era(s) but I [pick] on songs from the 30's and 40's as well... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Lots of new CDs:

Lenny Kravitz- Strut

Rival Sons- Great Western Valkyrie

Douglas Blue Feather- Dawn of a New Light

Legends of Surf Guitar Volume 1

Legends of Surf Guitar Volume 3

Legends of Surf Guitar Volume 4

Darryl Hall- Sacred Songs

Joe Bonamassa- Different Shade of Blue

I have CDs from Prong and Godflesh to be ordered soon. Also looking for stuff from Buckethead, Bill Laswell, Jonas Hellborg, Charlie Hunter, Soil & "Pimp" Sessions, Budos Brothers, Shaolin Afronauts, and The Souljazz Orchestra, to name but a few.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Last thing I bought was 'Iron Sky' by Paulo Nutini - a fairly local lad to where I grew up - I used to go into his grandad's ice cream parlour.

Recommended.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

The OP will have to clarify what he MEANT by "new music".

Did he mean "new music" released by someone from back in some "day", who's still "kickin' it"?

or.....

"New music" as in what's being foisted shamelessly on us as "music" these days? :(

MY answer is "no", on either.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Though I also constantly buy records (as in vinyl... I was never huge on cds, though I amassed tons of them, and would rather buy vinyl if given the choice...) I also have a Spotify subscription and discover/try out tons of stuff that way. It's convenient to not lug cds, tapes, or even an iPod along in the car or to the office, anymore... in the car I plug in my phone and I'm set, in the office I stream it over my computer... and even around the house, when my kid or wife don't want to hear music I'm listening to and I can't barricade myself in the living room with my turntable I pop in earbuds and I'm set.

I do buy what I like and artists I want to support. I have to admit it has "ruined" cds for me, since even if I do buy one to make sure the act knows there is demand and vinyl isn't available, I never get around the even opening it if it's on the streaming site, since I enjoy nothing about the cd experience any more than the streaming experience and I have an old iPhone hooked up to the stereo for streaming over that system, and set to "high quality resolution," the sound quality is equal.

Ok lots of good stuff here,

Caevan Them Crooked Vultures is on the check em out list, Mars Volta Not sure yet

Danzilla Glass Hammer is incredible, Might be a future buy

DBM I hope to be recording again soon, but I need new tunes to keep some sanity.

Fred C I still like learning Jazz standards , mostly just for playing around with on bass

Eric VB The only radio I listen too is NPR, cd player does all the music. Pittsburgh radio isn't good, too many DJ's who think their clever then rely on the same old yucks and such from prerecorded BS.

Caevan Alabama Shakes recently caught my attention some concert from Europe on Paladia (high Def TV music station).

Guitarzan Like the sounds of Freak Kitchen and of course the Foo Fighters, will have to make my way thru the rest of that list. A Pale Horse Named Death is one of my favorites.

Danny I havent yet made it thru that list, but I will try a bit from each eventually.

The Geoff I will check em out.

Whitefang New Music for this discussion means made in the last 10 years either by a known entity ala Michael Schenker or New band new people but it had better be something I like, Rock and Roll. I personally like the dark part of rock Type O Negative, but also even light rock like Jack Johnson. I do not mean pop or produced music that is not music but a walking commercial looking for a product.

p90jr Vinyl is back, a lot of my friends(i mean a lot) are buying albums in large quantities, but of the classic sort , stuff we listened to growing up (I am 43 for reference) . I am finishing my basement to be a jam studio, and I may add a turn table just for that reason.

Thats an update

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Ok lots of good stuff here,

Caevan Them Crooked Vultures is on the check em out list, Mars Volta Not sure yet...

Them Crooked Vultures are a badass Hard Rock machine, kinda sorta like, say, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Hüsker Dü, and Foo Fighters, f'rinstance, all thrown in a blender and smashed while it's running. JPJ is at the height of his powers. Their second album will be incredible, I'm sure.

The Mars Volta are a strange brand of Prog and Hard Rock and Alternative (as the term was used pre-"Grunge") and... how does one label such stuff? I think De-Loused In The Comatorium is an amazing album. Give this a spin and a fair shake all the way through:

________ [video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgjv0PQiJCs

______

I don't buy new CDs/DVDs often, since I can listen to "new" stuff (to me) for free at work. And since I have at least 1,000 cassettes plus hundreds of LPs and CDs, I am not hurting for stuff to listen to.

As far as "new" as in recently released, I don't hear much that catches my ear - 90% is really the same ol', same ol' to me. Very few groundbreaking artists. Once in a while, I hear something I really like. I try to still be open to "new" things.

Last CD I bought: either David Crosby's "Croz" or Chris Thile doing the Bach violin partitas on mandolin; not sure which was first.

Eric VB The only radio I listen too is NPR, cd player does all the music. Pittsburgh radio isn't good, too many DJ's who think their clever then rely on the same old yucks and such from prerecorded BS.

Understood.

I mostly listen to the "dossier" stations. You know, the ones whose websites end in "dossier" ("dot C A"). :D Took me a while to figure out what they were saying. Being this close to the border we pick up quite a few Canadian stations.

Since the local public radio station in my town changed to "all news", there's little chance for me to hear much of anything "new" that isn't the "pop" crap heard at the Grammy's shows every year. My real only outlet is the occasional presentations of newer stuff from long established artists on CBC, and any jazz or classical "new releases" heard on college station WRCJ. But I'm not, nor ever have been in a situation which allows me to listen to the radio all day long. Plus, NO radio station, not even my favorite WDET, which, as stated, changed to "all news", ever played what I liked ALL day long.

Sometimes, someone here will suggest something generally that I might look into and try to accquire, but not often.

Recently, I've done a lot of going on about CHRIS SMITHER, who certainly ISN'T new, but, he was new to ME back in '96 when I first heard and heard OF him on WDET on the way home from work---BEFORE I went on sick leave and eventually medically retired, and WDET went "all news". So, HIS was a case of being "in the nick of time"! And REALLY the LAST "new" music I bought commercially. Since then, I've been, with the help of my computer geek daughter, catching up on finding long sought after CD re-issues, and compiling "oldies" onto CDs for my listening and nostalgic pleasure! :D

Whitefang

it appears that a big majority no longer buys new music. and i have been here on the net long enough to realize that my generation seems to feel that new music sucks and anything after the 70's is crap.

i am starting to feel there is nothing out there for "us" because we are not looking. time for us to accept the fact that we are partly responsible for the lack of "good music" these days.

If you have a good cable/dish/Whatevs hookup, look for the music channels. You might be surprised at what you find.

Jools Holland's show- airing on Palladia in my neck of the woods- brings in artists from all genres and from all over the world to perform in his studio. That's how I found "world artists" like Bombino, Ragu Dixit and Mokoomba.

Some services also offer things like Music Choice tv channels, which are a whole bunch of genre-specific channels that play uninterrupted, uncensored music 24/7 while factoids about artists or the genre are displayed.

And of course, you never know what you'll find on the public access stations. Hey- maybe one of YOU guys could get a show... ;)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I'm not sure us old guys are responsible for the lack of new music or the lack of our wanting to purchase new music. It's OK by me if we can't find something new to like. I just hope we keep our ears open, in the event something new does come along and we don't miss out on it...It's really hard to deal with this situation as selling records is not as profitable these days as going on tour. Most of us are too old to go on tour and wouldn't be accepted if we did. The old days of cutting a 45 and making it big are gone... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I have very eclectic taste in music and in the past 40+ years of music collecting I have found that there is always something new out there that is worthwhile listening to. I guess I have what I like to call "big ears" which means I tune into different types of radio stations such as NPR, college and community as well as commercial stations. I also read about music in such magazines as Guitar Player, Vintage Guitar and Rolling Stone. Of course the internet has been a boon for me with Youtube turning me onto many strange artists.

Last 2 purchases:

Erin Harpe Delta Swingers-Love Whip Blues. Gotta love anyone that will cover a Willie Brown (Future Blues)tune!

NRBQ's newest Brass Tacks. It's not really NRBQ but Terry Adams and hired guns but is a terrific album.

While I love the old classic rock stuff and think the best era for music was from the mid 60s to mid 70s, I just have a restless mind when it comes to music so I have Blues, jazz, swing, folk, pop, rock, classical, bluegrass, Celtic and country in my collection.

Oh, I'll tune into WRIF, here in Detroit, the only sort of "metal" and/or "rock" station left. All the rest are "pop", "Urban", "country"(and all IT'S guises..like "young country", "New Country", "ALT country" and anything else with a different NAME, but really DOESN'T SOUND different from one another!) "Soft Rock", "Classic Rock" and any other dumb-ass name you feel the need to tag onto something.

But, I've never stayed "glued" to any one particular radio station, and constantly "surfed". Only now, around here, there's not too many "waves" to "surf" on!

But, I have no qualms about going somewhere to buy a CD. I'm not the sort to "download" and store dicey sounding MP3 information on yet another device I'd have to accquire somewhere. I have a very nice sounding home sound system, don't care much for the cheezy sound of most earbuds( and find them uncomfortable), and absolutely NO desire to listen to the radio from off of the little pin-hole sized opening which I guess, is SUPPOSED to pass as a "speaker" on the average "smart phone". How utterly ASININE! In fact, anytime some idiot approaches me holding up their phone and invites me to look at some inane VIDEO CLIP, I swat them away like annoying insects, which in THIS case, is APTLY PUT!

Whitefang

it appears that a big majority no longer buys new music. and i have been here on the net long enough to realize that my generation seems to feel that new music sucks and anything after the 70's is crap.

i am starting to feel there is nothing out there for "us" because we are not looking. time for us to accept the fact that we are partly responsible for the lack of "good music" these days.

I bet the WWII generation said the same thing when they could no longer find new releases from Glenn Miller. Imagine what they thought about the crappy music of the '60s/'70s that followed that talentless and lewd Elvis guy. ;)

Music goes through fads just like other fashion industries. It's just like why you can't get your new refrigerator in that old avocado green color anymore.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/cityofate/VintageFridge.jpg

There are still people out there making "classic rock" music. Most likely, though, you won't like it because it either sounds too much or too little like what you're used to.

There's a reason why the music industry targets the under 25 crowd, car insurance rates drop when you turn 25 and teenagers do stupid things. The human brain isn't fully mature until about age 25. That's about the time people stop listening to new music, too, and "the soundtrack to my life" for someone is whatever was popular up until their 20's.

Archived