Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Okay, I know we're not supposed to do this but...

Griffinator

I'm GODDAMNED proud of this song. Part of a two-track demo we did here recently to sort of "announce" our presence as a band, and to get something put to tape before our current drummer leaves for the Navy in June...

https://twelve-eighteen.bandcamp.com/track/fly-on

I wrote most of this thing about 8 years ago, but it wasn't until the last few years that its lyrical theme (being a survivor, living life to the full measure you are meted) came to life for me, having undergone heart surgery among other things.

The core lyric has a special reference; in fact, if you spotted an original handwritten copy, the signature line would read, "I'll take my ANJL and fly on"

I wrote this as I was dealing with my first divorce and the fallout thereof, and the "ANJL" refers to my son's birth initials - "Andrew Norman Jere Lotman" - Norman being his mother's father and Jere being my father, both deceased long before he was born.

So yeah, this one is to all the survivors out there, who got back up, dusted themselves off, and kept walking. :thu:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It occurs to me, I should probably make this relevant to the forum somehow.

Axe work was performed on my trusty Ibanez S-470 straight through a Bogner Uberschall head into a 4x12 with two different pairs of speakers in it - can't remember what he told me the specific speakers were, only that we wound up double-micing the cab for each of the two guitar tracks with a pair of SM-57's.

Other than that, no frills, tricks, or funny business. Not a pedal in sight.

I like the kinda 'push-pull' feel of the bass and guitar (and drum) parts. :cool: I like how the rhythms of the guitars, bass, and drums reflect the subject matter of the song. I like how it picks up at about 02:43. And I bet this really goes over well live!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks Caev!

Actually, we have yet to have an opportunity to showcase this one live. I hadn't finished writing it when 1218 broke up back in '08, and the new iteration of the band has yet to play a gig together.

Well, get on that! :D:thu::cool:

I know how it can be. After nearly five years, I put in my resignation for the mixed covers and neglected originals band that I'd been playing with. In the not too distant future I plan on putting together my own band, with an emphasis on originals, improve, and covers that will mostly be very different rearrangements.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Great job Griff and I'm guessing that's you on the last spoken verse...It's not my genre but I still enjoyed it. I think more of us should be able to post music if we wanted to for teaching purposes but I can see how it would open the door to endless one time music posters that should use the Post Your Music Here thread...I remember one guy posting a YouTube quite some time ago, that didn't mention his name or show his face but we knew who he was...sneaky eh?

Just before the last verse there were some double lead guitars, so I'm guessing you played both parts with some dubbing. How will you recreate it live? Will you use a looper or hire another guitar player? Good job all around! :2thu:

Take care, Larryz

Great job Griff and I'm guessing that's you on the last spoken verse...It's not my genre but I still enjoyed it. I think more of us should be able to post music if we wanted to for teaching purposes but I can see how it would open the door to endless one time music posters that should use the Post Your Music Here thread...I remember one guy posting a YouTube quite some time ago, that didn't mention his name or show his face but we knew who he was...sneaky eh?

Just before the last verse there were some double lead guitars, so I'm guessing you played both parts with some dubbing. How will you recreate it live? Will you use a looper or hire another guitar player? Good job all around! :2thu:

Yes, that's me on the spoken word at the end and the harmonies underneath on the first two verses.

Actually, the second guitarist from the original lineup back in '06 rejoined us shortly after I tracked the guitars for this demo, so the second guitar isn't an issue anymore. :)

AiEEE! SPAM!!

Eh, no worries...just foolin' 'round. I don't mind spam, specially when it's FRIED so tasty! Good job, Griff. I'll join Larry in that it isn't my "genre", but I've heard LOTS in this "genre" played constantly on the radio that's NOT done so well!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived