Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Justin Havu

Behringer Odyssey. Can't wait till Sunday when it gets here.

Nice! Which version did you get?

Black and orange. It's the only color scheme available for the Behringer version. Korg had them in all three colors.

Behringer also makes three colors, original black and orange, grey meanie and blue Marvin. Sweetwater only has the black and orange in stock at this time.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'm starting to feel like dB, but I also bought it to use with my Wurly and other keyboards, I swear.

00b0b_cFpSThDVnobz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I won't bother with a screenshot, but I just ordered Valhalla Delay. I've been getting so much use out of their SuperMassive plugin--which is free--that I felt a bit guilty :) It came down to this vs Plate, and since I have some excellent reverbs (too many), I went with this very versatile delay.

I do want good companies to be able to continue to innovate, and it's not as if it's a donation--I LOVE delays and I think I'll use the heck out of Vdelay.

I also picked up Epic Strings from Spitfire's Originals. I have decent solo and small ensemble strings but nothing like this big section other than what is in Logic, and this is a fair bit nicer-sounding. I wanted it for an orchestral remix I'm doing of one of my old band's tunes, I know almost nothing about doing symphonic stuff so it's a lot of fun. I'm trying to treat each part as a solo "player" instead of just whacking down block chords like a keyboard player, and it does sound more realistic that way! I'll have to do more of that with synths too. So instead of a "strings" track I have violin 1, violin 2, cello ensemble, double bass, french horn etc and the epic strings for the build up. I get to pretend I'm some kind of composer lol!

A few things lately...hardshell SKB guitar case, new strap, strings, tuner etc for my Pacifica, and a Fender Mustang I V.2 (yes, it's older, but Fender jacked up the price of the Mustang LT25 by over $50) and I needed a practice amp for my guitar class.

Zoom Q2n 4K - I was actually looking for a straight audio recorder but for around $30 more this was worth it in my opinion, plus it does have an audio-only setting that just works as an audio recorder anyways. Plus no annoying 20-30 minute time limit when recording video. Plus it works as a webcam too, which is super handy at college.

And the newest...Addictive Drums 2 Custom - it seemed a better deal to just get that package and choose three kits, 3 kit pieces, and 3 midi packs than just getting a single ADPak for $20 less to add to my other kits. I went with Boutique Mallets for soft, cinematic tunes and worship music, Modern Jazz Brushes for my jazz stuff (always a hard sound to get right), and Reel Machines so I finally have an electronic drum sample library, plus another snare (Sonor Designer), kick (DW Woofer), and bongos ("Sonor Latino Bongos") for the extra kit pieces. The midi packs don't matter lol. I already have Fairfax Vol. 1, United Pop, and United Heavy plus the Brazilian Pandeiro, Mandinka Djembe, and DW Collector's Bass Drum. I'm a fan of AD2.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Always liked the Roland organ sound in a rock band setting at least. I had the VR-700 and there are times I wish I'd just gotten the VR-09 once I sold it (too big and heavy and the ensemble sounds were weak.). I'm using the MODX and an ipad, which is a nice flexible rig but a little more fiddly than just turning stuff on and playing.

Finally replacing the keyboard I left behind in Mexico. And instead of the whole controller + iPad idea, this time I'm going w/ a portable arranger. A cheapish one, since I'm unlikely to ever play for any group larger than a jam circle. Should be good enough to work on my weak spots of music theory and improv. Plus just having fun. I probably over-researched as I usually do, but finally landed on this:

ct-s400-top.jpg

Should arrive before the end of next week...

Glenn

Casiotone CT-S1 Red

Ohana TK-14E Tenor Ukulele

Retired I.T. nerd - Expat - vegan - genealogist -- hobbyist musician

Formerly https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/users/72474/donblanco

After some alarming health issues resolving to not be serious after all, I decided that life is too short to live without a Prophet 6. Ordered one in Wednesday and it arrived yesterday... didn`t sleep too much last night.. The first impression was that if the Nord A1 would have this good keybed, I propably would have kept it too.
Nord Stage 3 88, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager OS, Moog Little Phatty TE, Crumar Mojo Classic Suitacase, Kawai US-50 upright, Beltuna Studio 3 and Fantini cassotto accordions

I had a similar experience with health issues having some influence on gear. . Managed to stay out of hospitals most of my life, but last 4 years had some stuff going on and bought gear as my motivation for healing during recuperation.

I probably can't deduct these as "therapeutic" but works for me.

First scary issue in late 2019 needed surgery and all went well- I bought the Behringer Oddy and then the Pro 1. (love them!)

Had hip replacement March this year, then got a Crumar Mojo Classic, and more synth and audio plug-ins.

Right now, recuperating from Covid- ( Luckily I'm vaxxed and on my 13th day rounding the corner to fully healing....) I'm quarantined- so doing what any clear minded person would do: getting ready to order another analog synth from Sweetwater. HA!!

After a 30 year hiatus, I also started playing bass again. Have been doing a weekly bluegrass jam last couple of months with my old Precision as a fun diversion from my day job of playing keys all the time.. After watching that awesome Rick Rubin-Macca thing on Hulu,

I realized I've never owned ( and always wanted...) a Hofner. I'm sure the CDC would concur this is a great idea.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

My latest purchase is an Estonia 190 grand piano. I"ve been playing my whole life and this is my first time having a grand that I can play regularly. This video doesn"t so the piano justice because I don"t know much about how to position mics. If anyone has any good advice or tutorials please let me know.

Yamaha CP73, Prophet 6, Moog Grandmother, Vintage Vibe Deluxe 73

I'm starting to feel like dB, but I also bought it to use with my Wurly and other keyboards, I swear.

00b0b_cFpSThDVnobz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Nice.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

...and a Fender Mustang I V.2 (yes, it's older, but Fender jacked up the price of the Mustang LT25 by over $50) and I needed a practice amp for my guitar class.

...which was DOA (dead on arrival). Seller didn't want to bother with return shipping so he just fully refunded me and had me keep the amp, which will not power up. A good man. Anyway, seeing as that's the second amp in two weeks that was either the incorrect model listed (a well known retailer accidentally had a Roland Cube 01 listed as a 10GX with full details for the 10 etc, only for it to be a 01 when it showed up, which is a much lesser amp) or non-functional, I've gone a different route, albeit a more expensive one since amp prices have gone through the roof lately.

Let's hope this guy works out...brand new from zZounds, so it had better lol. Vox VT20X.

81q-Bc-Wa5-Mn-L-AC-SX425.jpg

750-VT20-X-detail2.jpg

What mics and pres are you using ?

Thanks for the kind words! I'm using Shure KSM-141 mics and I don't own any pres. Straight into my Focusrite interface and some out of the box piano EQ from Logic.

The piano sounds darker in person than it does on this recording. Maybe if I move the mics a little I can capture some of the darker tones? I'll have to play around.

Yamaha CP73, Prophet 6, Moog Grandmother, Vintage Vibe Deluxe 73

What mics and pres are you using ?

Thanks for the kind words! I'm using Shure KSM-141 mics and I don't own any pres. Straight into my Focusrite interface and some out of the box piano EQ from Logic.

The piano sounds darker in person than it does on this recording. Maybe if I move the mics a little I can capture some of the darker tones? I'll have to play around.

I just had the laptop speakers on but it sounded very nice and clear to me.

Since the KSM 141 has both omni and cardioid patterns there is a lot you can do with them. First, have somebody play your piano while you walk around the room and see if there is a place where it sounds darker. If that happens to be more or less where your head is when you are playing then maybe work from there.

The cardioid pattern will offer proximity effect (more bass as you get closer) but that is inviting an uneven sound. Omni farther back can also reduce the trebles if you find the right spot to put them. You'll want to keep the mics fairly close together to prevent phase cancellation problems. The lid being open, partially closed or completely closed will change the tone, if the mics are inside when the lid is closed will sound very different to putting them in the same spot with the lid open.

Experiment, you've got a nice sound right now. You can always go back to it. I might try underneath the piano using the omni pattern, that should attenuate the highs a bit. You may need to spend a few hours finding the sweet spot but once you know where it is you can just leave them set up.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

My old audio interface is dying, it has done its time so I can't complain. My setup has changed since and beside my computer I have an iPad so needed something that would work with both and handle two keyboards so I just ordered the Presonus Studio 68c. Has its own power so don't have to worry about the iPad's power and more than enough inputs. So a few days and it should be here. Ya!

I find with my Mac is a necessity to keep a wired mouse around for when the battery start going low and mouse cops an attitude on what it will or won't do. On top of that Apple stupid interface since the beginning can't be used without a mouse, other OS's you can at least tab around to do things like shutdown.

Every Mac I've ever tried this on will shut down if you push and hold the On button in for a bit. It may tell you it wasn't shut off properly when you turn it on again. I've always ignored that to no consequences.

I've never used a wireless mouse, I avoid using batteries if possible on everything.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 3 weeks later...
Kawai ES520. (IMHO,) finally, a digital piano with nice acoustic pianos and great Rhodes samples in a light package with 40W speakers. A few other interesting samples: upright piano and what sounds like an RMI piano (which I diss but still is cool to have it included in 60's pianos.) All played on an action I like.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Not sure if we're just talking hardware here...my last purchase was all software, as I was suckered in by 8Dio's sale:

Studio Tenor Saxophone

Studio Series Fire Saxophone

Misfit Toy Instruments

The New Century Ensemble Brass Lite

Spirit Flute

The flute is worthless to me (it's not a VI just some canned phrases, which they didn't bother to mention), the toy instruments borderline..the Brass though is nice. The saxes I haven't messed with too much, mixed feelings so far. I also got their Anthology Strings as a free gift w/the purchases, have not used but hearing great things about.

MIM Standard Precision Bass. Probably didn't really need it and might end up regretting not having the money in a couple months... but it was a pretty good deal and now I've got a solid P.

I like the MIM Fenders a lot you got something that will do you good for a long time.