Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Deep Purple on Playboy After Dark

HammondDave

I was viewing some old Playboy After Dark videos and found this oldie but goodie. Props to Deep Purple for playing live as few bands did this on PAD.

For those who want to see how Jon Lord plays the beginning of Hush, check it out at 3:15.

Also, Blackmore sucks throughout... Maybe it was all those hot women around him.

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400; Wurlitzer 200; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good find! ;)

I love that tight 'snap' drum sound.

Ian Paice was a monster even back then. Blackmore must have been nervous or stoned as he was a much better guitar player than this performances indicates.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400; Wurlitzer 200; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module

It's too bad the camera cut away during the rapid-fire part in the Hush Organ solo. That has never been captured in any video I've seen. I saw Deep Purple in 1969 but Jon didn't do that bit in his solo.

The band's hair looks great here and on some of the album covers. It would be interesting to know who their hairdresser was.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Cool! I've seen that version of Hush before, but not the rest of the show.

The playing style is great, but I also really dig the 'tone' of the drums - no boom or reverb. Why is it everything sounded better in the late 60s/early 70s?

Oh man, tell me about it. I think I spent more time listening to the crack of that snare than Jon!

Archived