Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shops can't hold stock or keep a showroom, sgn of the times?

ElmerJFudd

I haven't been through the thread completely, my experience is that once Internet sales took off I had no need to visit the one shop that stocked keys in the North East UK. I took a mercenary attitude that if you can't compete I'm going to shop online and pay more bills at home.

However, I visited this shop just over a month ago looking help my friend spend a substantial amount on a new pa system. The once well stocked shop was bare and upon asking was told everything was at their depot elsewhere in the area. Disappointed, I left, I had made an 80 mile round trip.

When I left a nice review (4 out of 5 stars) and said that I was disappointed that the store was very empty and that it seemed they had gone online now. I was threatened with legal action (as well as TrustPilot) for what I said, despite the fact having clearly put that 'I felt' and nothing based on fact (despite a member of staff laying the cards out how he was now tele sales and if we wanted anything they would get it brought in - yeah, I'll wait a few hours or come back, sigh)

Obviously very touchy and very heavy handed despite leaving a nice but disappointed review.

So screw 'em, we bought from Thomann. A Samson rack mixer that went up in smoke 10 minutes into first use and replaced without delay. Those guys are the best I have dealt with over the last ten years, oh and the cheapest.

And no, I don't work for them.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a tough thing because GC here in Rochester told me and a buddy they don't stock things because it's inventory sitting around they can't sell. I always wanted to support music stores locally but part of the responsibility is theirs though.There is a local shop here carrying the big three manufactures also so that is good. They kind of get it and are competitive at least. One of the above posters said how his local music store was inflexible and I used to find that a lot with a few music stores locally. They acted like they were doing you a favor. Problem is for keyboard sales the profit margins are slim. They actually make more on consumables like cables, snakes, guitar strings etc.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I saw on HC KSS today that there is a store in NJ with a crap ton of stock: http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msd/4881408330.html

Good point on the consumables, guy was happy when I bought my CP4 that I bought a bunch of cables, a new bench, the music rack, etc. And he tried REAL HARD to find an in-stock bag for my old 88, but no luck.

PS - many many years ago I worked in microcomputer sales. We made more on 25 boxes of disks than an entire computer system.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Isn't 2% of $2000 only $40?

Yes, but it amounts to much more when out of province retailers also don't charge you provincial rates nor collect for your home province.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

FWIW, buy on-line; try it out; and take advantage of most all on-line vendors 30 or 60 day return policy. Of course you may end up paying return shipping for the privilege. However, I did well for a recent purchase at MF. Here's how it went. I shopped on-line but ordered over the phone. When I received the board and decided it had to go back, I called the same rep. back to arrange for the return. The rep informed me I would have to pay return shipping unless I was exchanging. I did. So I paid no return shipping charges and just as for the original purchase, shipping was free for the exchange. When you consider that none of the local brick and mortars had either board available for try out, that transaction worked out as best it could.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

I buy a lot of my gear online, but not because I really want to; I moved from DC area to the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, which puts me over 100 miles from the closest music stores (Richmond or Fairfax). I just don't have time to run around, so I read comments on this site to judge what gear is best for me.

I am an owner of a small business which gets comparison shopped daily, so I really try to buy from a real dealer with a real showroom.

I sell ceramic tile, stone, glass tiles in a showroom setting. Customers think nothing is wrong with milking a store of their time and knowledge, then saving a dime by buying online; this is called "showrooming".

Some of the time, a empathetic customer will ask me if I can do any better on my price, so they can avoid buying online. Here is a typical scenario:

The customers usually think that their approaching me would offend me...I tell them positively "NO"; just the opposite...I appreciate the shot at making the sale, the advantages of having a store stand behind unloading, inspecting, etc. (heavy product, prone to damage)

Usually after seeing a positive response, the customer takes a breath and relaxes/opens up. I explain to them that any storefront would rather make "half a loaf" than nothing, especially since we have conveniently did all the legwork for some fool with no overhead or product knowledge.

Usually if I can get within 10 to 20% of the price I got the job. Does it offend me? Not any more; you adjust.

My point being that with music, or really any other item, I do the same approach; about 4 of 5 businesses will thank me for asking instead of just leaving and buying online. I agree to pay more.

Nowdays, any idiot can go to Google, push the "enter" button and get the absolutely best price on anything without even knowing how to spell the product name correctly! Used to take brains to do that.

Do the little guy a favor and at least ask if they will negotiate. The smaller the store, the more they will negotiate.

Yeah, our changing buying habits need a change in how businesses are reaching us. All this wasted shipping of one instrument or other item here there and everywhere... Dealer offers best price online but obviously can't cover return costs, is that the norm?. Regardless of dissatisfied customer or item being damaged or not as described?. Do they ask you to pursue a claim with UPS as well if item is damaged in transit?. Or do they cover it? Margins must be getting smaller and smaller even without the overhead of a store front.

Maybe dealers need to network better to get instrument vendors to help them keep a show room and manage region inventory better so the instruments we want to try are near those who want to buy and a new one can be in your local shop within a day or two of purchase and you get fair price and a better brick and mortar experience.

Ok, I just woke. Was dreaming in that last paragraph. Perfectly awake in the first though.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I felt guilty because I have been trying out keyboards at GC or Sam Ash, but end up buying @ Sweetwater. While traveling last week, I had cash in hand to buy a Microbrute. The GC in Delaware had it plugged in a tiny Roland computer type monitor with a smashed in tweeter dome. In their defense, how can it be otherwise- every stranger on the street is free to bang on the things.

Also, I must have been in a music store 15 times since the Casio PX-5 came out. I have yet to see one. Beginning to wonder if they even exist. For that matter, I rarely see new Kurzweils or Nords in stores.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

One of the main things that's changed is - with a few notable exceptions - the dealer is no longer the main point of education, as used to be the case.

It is now incumbent upon manufacturers to have top notch demos of their gear on their site, ideally along with how-to videos, documentation, audio examples, etc....and why not? Shouldn't a manufacturer be able to show off the products they create better than anyone else? :idk:

So, that's the first stop. Where's the next stop? You guessed it - right here. Internet forums. Places where someone researching a product can talk to a whole community who aren't trying to sell them something....where they can get a bunch of different opinions and perspectives. In many cases, the manufacturers themselves frequent the forums, and are happy to interact with their users - past, present and future. :thu:

On the other hand, dealers have more to keep up with than ever before. New gear comes at them in alarming rate - both in hardware and software form - constantly changing and getting deeper in power and functionality. Consequently, by the time a potential buyer gets to a dealer, chances are outstanding that potential buyer knows a heck of a lot more about the few pieces they've been researching than the dealer who has to try and keep up with everything in their shop....and so, the average dealer experience is frequently reduced to being about price and stock. :eek:

Speaking from the perspective of someone who works with a variety of manufacturers and retailers, I can say for sure that there are still some really good retailers out there who know their stuff, have products in stock, and are happy to go above and beyond the call of duty to take care of people. It may take a bit of looking to find the right place...but it's really worth it when you find them. I think more folks than not still really appreciate top notch service, and are willing to pay for it. I definitely fall into that category. :)

The good news is - for those looking to do all the research themselves and just get the best price, those shops are out there, too...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

For that matter, I rarely see new Kurzweils or Nords in stores.

Funny you mention that. I visited the Sam Ash on Colonial in Orlando last week and was really impressed with their keyboard area - both the pro section and the "prosumer" section. They had a Nord Stage 2 and a Kurzweil PC3LE8 on display, plugged in, connected to amps and open for demo. The KB guy said it was like pulling teeth to get the Nord in for demo. The rest of the area was nicely stocked: was finally able to try the Kross 88 and FA-06.

They also had a real nice selection of analogs and virtual analogs on display: Moogs, Arturias, Novations, Roland Arias - but none of those had power or were connected to amps. I'm sure they would have hooked me up if I asked, but it's nice just to be able to wander and try everything. :(

One of the main things that's changed is - with a few notable exceptions - the dealer is no longer the main point of education, as used to be the case.

It is now incumbent upon manufacturers to have top notch demos of their gear on their site, ideally along with how-to videos, documentation, audio examples, etc....and why not? Shouldn't a manufacturer be able to show off the products they create better than anyone else? :idk:

So, that's the first stop. Where's the next stop? You guessed it - right here. Internet forums. Places where someone researching a product can talk to a whole community who aren't trying to sell them something....where they can get a bunch of different opinions and perspectives. In many cases, the manufacturers themselves frequent the forums, and are happy to interact with their users - past, present and future. :thu:

On the other hand, dealers have more to keep up with than ever before. New gear comes at them in alarming rate - both in hardware and software form - constantly changing and getting deeper in power and functionality. Consequently, by the time a potential buyer gets to a dealer, chances are outstanding that potential buyer knows a heck of a lot more about the few pieces they've been researching than the dealer who has to try and keep up with everything in their shop....and so, the average dealer experience is frequently reduced to being about price and stock. :eek:

Speaking from the perspective of someone who works with a variety of manufacturers and retailers, I can say for sure that there are still some really good retailers out there who know their stuff, have products in stock, and are happy to go above and beyond the call of duty to take care of people. It may take a bit of looking to find the right place...but it's really worth it when you find them. I think more folks than not still really appreciate top notch service, and are willing to pay for it. I definitely fall into that category. :)

The good news is - for those looking to do all the research themselves and just get the best price, those shops are out there, too...

dB

Wow, great answer. Thanks for taking the time to share!

Great independent shop here with a nice selection

of boards. I have to try a board to buy one.

I stopped in monday, Artis, Forte, CP4, 33, FA08,

they got in a RD800, sold it in 1 day, had 3 Nords

and theyre gone too, Kronos, Khrome, quite a decent

selection and kills the GC on the next block. They get those

Hammond boards but they sell out very fast also,

The boards are run thru 3 different sets of monitors,

or whatever cabs their sound dept carries. And of course the different keyboard amps.

They do keep their eye on internet prices, will match them

no problem. Same prices as SW. They have an internet guy.

I stopped in monday to hang, ended up picking up a Yam MG06.

I generally end up "trying" the Forte and CP4 which r next to each other.

They also do sound for most of the big acts that come thru. Im really happy to have a shop like this here.

Brents Music, Ft Myers Fl. Keyboard guy is Jim. Also a board

player w/his own large collection of analogs, nice guy and a nice player.

I cherish being able to try a keyboard in person. I need to feel its action, hear its sound, and adapt the sound to fit me. I cherish the discussions on this forum throughout the entire board selection process. As I prefer not to get an open-boxed keyboard, I try to leave the 30-day return option as my last resort, and not as my first line of audition. (Do 30-day returned keyboards get sold "as new"?) If I spend a lot of auditioning time on a particular board at a local store, I intend to buy it there. And then at the local store, I try to approximate the ballpark of the absolute best deal. I've seen small & major stores go down around me. I assume the existing ones are not immune.

The #1 advice given on this forum for someone asking about a board is to try it themselves. Simple, and profound. Time-consuming, if done exhaustively. This board helps narrow the net. Making a comparison of many boards at the same time, in the same room, can be enlightening.

My personal challenge is for items that don't need to be tested. If I learn about it online, then my current stance is I'm ok buying it online. And then, I try to rely on which store website I use a lot. But then, I suppose I am contributing to fewer items being available to try at the local store. But, I am grateful for the online store's gear presentation & its "check" on the local store. And so for me, I think balancing out my purchases between both types, makes sense for what I can handle and what I want to support.

I'm one small dot that's not gonna tip anything in any direction. And no store is out for my best interest. Yet for me, keyboards, local, audition-to-purchase. It can be a little more costly, but saddled with a poorer fit board can be as well.

Im really happy to have a shop like this here.

Brents Music, Ft Myers Fl. Keyboard guy is Jim. Also a board

player w/his own large collection of analogs, nice guy and a nice player.

Thanks for the heads up - I will be in So. FLA over the summer and will have to check them out.

Hey Adino, do you live in the Ft. Myers area? (My mom spends the winter in Marco Island, a few towns south of there, I love it down there when I visit, just beautiful.) Just curious, do you gig and if so, how is the gigging scene down there, is there much of one? I have vague dreams of possibly relocating to that area at some point a few years down the line. The gulf coast is beautiful but seems very sleepy.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Hey Adino, do you live in the Ft. Myers area? (My mom spends the winter in Marco Island, a few towns south of there, I love it down there when I visit, just beautiful.) Just curious, do you gig and if so, how is the gigging scene down there, is there much of one? I have vague dreams of possibly relocating to that area at some point a few years down the line. The gulf coast is beautiful but seems very sleepy.

Ive lived here for 5 years. The scene is odd here. Lot of singles w/midi tracks, but there is a nice group of jazz cats that I gig with. Thing is you never know who is in town, it being what it is, so I meet players from all over.

Work here is generally north to Tampa then over to Naples, but everyone here drives the state for gigs. Some weeks I do

5 to 7, lowest is 3, generally trio's w/ female vox or tenor players. I also am pianist for a choir. There are a lot of corporate bands here, they command big $$ and some of them are rather good shows with nice players. Lets not forget the Country Clubs..I mean, it is Florida..If u can nail 1 of those a week u can make your week. As far as rock groups, there is no original band music scene, but they have things like music walk or art walk downtown where groups are on most corners. Its a nice hang..Best thing? The beach of course. Im having fun, but I do miss playing w/the asskikers up in the NE.

Shoot me a pm when u come down, I'll send u names of clubs.

Archived