Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vocoder on a budget

nickd

I'm doing a gig as a dep for a funk/disco band next month, and one of the songs is Get Lucky.

I'd like to be able to do the vocoder part at the end, but I don't want to go the expense of buying a vocoder or synth just for one gig...

has anyone had any luck running a vocoder on an iPhone? Maybe iVoxel?

http://www.virsyn.net/mobileapp/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=2

I don't need it to be particularly great quality - it's more of a gimmick really. But I don't think I could get away with playing chords on the on-screen keyboard on the iPhone, so I would also have to worry about rigging up MIDI to the phone.

Thoughts?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Make sure you have a mic.

2) Pinch your nose shut with the thumb and forefinger of your left hand.

3) With the remaining fingers, form a 'cup' around the ball of the mic.

4) Sing the vocoder part in high falsetto, while opening and closing the 'cup' of your hand.

Done. :2thu:

4) Sing the vocoder part in high falsetto, while opening and closing the 'cup' of your hand.

Reading that back a second time, that actually makes sense! thanks, might just try that...

This kind of reminds me of what Annie Lennox did on the Stevie Wonder Tribute last week. She sang and sounded great! :2thu:
Hammond XK3-C; Yamaha Tyros 3; Casio PX-5S; Yamaha DX7 IID; Yamaha DGX 520; Yamaha Stagepas 500 & KS50 (x2) Leslie 147(1971) Lots of other stuff

I have a robot like tone on my keys that I play in unison with the singer doing a Vocoder like imitation. Seems to work. People ask.. (is that the singer making that sound? What effect is he using?).. Which I reply.. Just his voice.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

You could also use free vocoder software - like TAL Vocoder or Ableton Live's native vocoder - and record and sample the results. This all assumes you have a PC-based home studio.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

Archived