Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A young vocalist's "unique" marketing strategy

Fred_C

As I've mentioned in the past, I like listening to female jazz vocalists and I've become interested in the "Brazilian Sound" of Bossa Nova. One of the stated goals of the Pandora app is to introduce their listeners to new artists. They played a couple of tracks from a young Argentinian vocalist named Gabriela Anders. Out of curiosity, I opened YouTube to hear more. There are about 15 tracks of her singing. Most are typical "studio" and "in-concert" tracks. No big deal and her voice sounds rather thin to me. This could be a function of youth and her voice may mature over time.

Anyway, I opened one of the "studio" tracks and was shocked and amazed at what I saw. Accompanying the music was a collage of what can only be described as "erotic photos" which are similar to a "Playboy photo shoot". I will admit to reading Playboy during the 70's, but "only for the articles".

If any of you gentlemen are interested in erotica, I have posted the link below. In addition I have posted a concert video of her singing "Girl From Ipanema" as a proof that she does indeed have a MUSIC career.

WARNING: THE VIDEO POSTED BELOW MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE UNDER THE AGE OF 18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knjtlyG7neA

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No big deal and her voice sounds rather thin to me. This could be a function of youth and her voice may mature over time.

Hahaha - Fred - she will be 43 in March. :D

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

No big deal and her voice sounds rather thin to me. This could be a function of youth and her voice may mature over time.

Hahaha - Fred - she will be 43 in March. :D

Hey SEH,

43!!!

You gotta' be kidding me! Man, she's in excellent physical condition. Must work out a lot.

Truthfully, I've never seen such a display of eroticism in a music track before and probably never will again. I am reminded of a line from the wonderful Jazz oriented movie "The Fabulous Baker Boys" where a club owner tells the two piano playing brothers, "Tell your singer that the shorter the dress, the bigger the crowd". The truth is that "Sex Sells". Always has and always will.

I do believe those opening shots in that video are early Marylin Monroe "pin up" images---the ones Hugh Hefner bought to put in his "new magazine"!

And, at 43, she's going to have to, as Mrs. Dilber said in the movie "SCROOGE" (1951);

"Nip along smartly" if her voice is going to MATURE WITH AGE any....

As for her live performance clip, she does sound fairly decent, but her performance "style" leads me to suggest that she, like TOO MANY young female "jazz" singers of late, needs to "hit the head" BEFORE she gets onstage!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

@ Fred - Yeah, I'm not so sure that those pics are of her. If they are - they were taken many moons ago - although she does look rather fetching in her more recent videos...

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Yes Scott - I'm sure you are right - after all - what woman would promote herself with naked pictures of another woman?? :laugh:

SEHpicker

I saw a blonde then a red head and at the end a brunette...not that I watched the whole clip LOL! I think the blonde and the red head could have been the same lady but, not the last one. She could be Gabriela, I don't know for sure. Like Scott said it's one of her vocal tracks but she may not be in the pictures IHMO...

On the live video, there were some spots where she was a little off but overall she sounded good. I liked her slower version of the song. The group backing her were very good musicians. Although the sex player [i mean sax] was very good, I think he hogged the leads too much as I would have liked to hear some guitar and piano lead work too. Butt, she's got talent. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I'm going to need a live audition to post an opinion.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

After some careful examination(serious) and some bit of research, I don't think the first series of photos ARE old pin-up shots of Marylin Monroe, as the famed Playboy magazine photo shows Ms. Monroe with much longer, and not as "brightly" blonde hair. I think the photographer was trying to EMULATE the LOOK of the old Monroe photo shoot. And I think the REDHEAD is a differnt woman.

The ONLY thing that can't be determined for sure is,---WHAT was the POINT of the whole thing?

And I'd like to thank Fred C. for bringing this young lady to our attention( for those of us still unaware of her at the time of his posting)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Wow! Was I off base? I just assumed it was she with different wigs or hair color. That being the case, I guess this wasn't worth posting. Sorry!

Although I have already apologized for my erroneous and hasty conclusion once, let me do so again.

I deeply regret this totally unnecessary post. I had originally jumped to the conclusion that the photos were of the artist, attempting to draw attention to herself via a display of erotica. Clearly, this was an error. I apologize again for my fallacious thinking.

Archived