Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help! I've Decided to Record at Home on My PC.

Ok, I've been putting this off for long enough. It's time to put aside the 4 track tascam, but I don't really know where to start. I am not the gearhead that I used to be. I do not know what is out there. I figured that you guys would be a better source of info rather than the guy down at the local music superstore who just wants to make a sell.

And, if there is any question about my PC meeting any software requirements, I'm outfitted with a 1.6 GHz P4 and 256 MB RAM, if that means anything.

So, whatcha think?

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your machine will be fine to start with. Just Add at least another 256 MB of RAM and get all the available upgrades of your operating system.

Then, visit http://www.musicxp.net (if you're using Win XP) to prepare your machine to make music.

Now, let us know what are you planning to record: MIDI? Audio? Both? Need mic preamps? balanced I/O? 2 or more simultaneous I/O channels of audio? Running softsynths? Do you have external FX boxes?

And that's only the beggining !

:)

We will be glad to help.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Cruise threw my web site, and see if you get any ideas...

I recorded 16 tracks at 44.1kHz/32-bit (24.8, actually), using a P3/733MHz and 512MB of RAM... into Cool Edit v1.2, two years ago. It was the filtering and processing that was slow. I've upgraded, since then. And, I'm about to, again.

Sound cards...

- Mine -- A pair of M-Audio Delta 1010s

- Might Get today... Motu 2408mk3s

. I really like the Deltas. Lots more features on the Motu.

Mixer... I run an Allen & Heath "MixWizard 16:2", and DI each output to the Deltas.

This is still a couple grand worth of hardware, not to mention the PC, software and cabling.

Good luck on your endeavor!

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Well where to start.

Might check out N-Track Studio and have a quick look at their

shareware poormans audio sequencer.

Cakewalk is the home of Sonar but they have some cheap beginners, enty level programs, Home Studio and Guitar Tracks Pro.

Steinberg is the home of Cubase SX, a program in the same class and price as SONAR. They used to have a watered down beginers version. Not sure if they still do.

There's other types of software if you're more electronically inclined, Acid, Abelton Live, Project 5 Reason... etc.

Software wise throw some of the above mentioned packages or terms into Google and follow the info.

Sound Cards and interfaces... you can start with you're onboard if that's what you have, though you mostly get advice not to, I know short into the learning curve you'll want to dump it for something pro-ish but it can be a starter till you gather the info you need to make a decision

about your needs.

What's your outbaord gear. You have any preamps? Mics... etc.

If so you can pick up simple and cheap 24 bit cards/interfaces from Echo, M-Audio, Edirol for

$150-200

If you need a preamp, might check out systems

with built in preamps.

Your 4 Track mixer might work good enough as a

preamp on the short term. Experiment with it.

Basically search and read every thing you can on the subject on the net. There's lots of sites with info. I don't keep a list of links like I used to.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

Some really good advise so far. Id also throw in that you will want to add a fast 7200 RPM IDE hard drive thats dedicated for audio. 256 is a good starting point for RAM, but RAM is cheap to add so Id advise getting more. You can find good deals on 512 MB sticks for well under $100. For sound cards Id recommend something like an M-Audio Audiophile ($149) or Echo Mia MIDI ($200) if you want to upgrade to balanced I/O. Add a cheap mixer and/or stand-alone preamp and you should be set.

Originally posted by AudioMaverick:

I recorded 16 tracks at 44.1kHz/32-bit (24.8, actually), using a P3/733MHz and 512MB of RAM... into Cool Edit v1.2, two years ago.

Thats nothing :D . I was recording 8-tracks simultaneously on a K6 300MHz w/ Cool Edit Pro using a single 5400 RPM HD, 64 MB of RAM and Win 98SE back in the day. My, how things have changed

Originally posted by Dylan PDX:

Originally posted by AudioMaverick:

I recorded 16 tracks at 44.1kHz/32-bit (24.8, actually), using a P3/733MHz and 512MB of RAM... into Cool Edit v1.2, two years ago.

Thats nothing :D . I was recording 8-tracks simultaneously on a K6 300MHz w/ Cool Edit Pro using a single 5400 RPM HD, 64 MB of RAM and Win 98SE back in the day. My, how things have changed
I win I win !

I did it with Win 95 computer! :D

Amigo Jedro... the point is, it's not the tools but what you can do with them :thu:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Wow. Thanks for all the advice so far. It sounds like you all know the ins & outs. First off, though, AudioMaverick, I didn't see a link to your site, so I couldn't have a look or listen.

There are some questions that I don't know the answers to. I mean, I really know nothing about what I need to start up. This is strictly for myself, so I don't want to drop a load of cash off the top (and I've got some "life decisions" to make in the near future, i.e. getting married and buying a house and all that stuff). To answer LanceMo, somewhere in the neighborhood of $2k - $3k, but less if it's possible.

To this point, I have been strictly low-tech - for guitars, mic a cabinet and into the mixer we go. Basses either direct, or off the preamp, possibly some mic mixed in there. Drums and keys have always come off a separate mixer (though not mine), obviously because of lack of channels. So basically I have zip, zilch.

I fell like I should browse a store keeping in mind some of the things you guys have suggested.

I really appreciate all the input.

Thanks guys.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Archived