Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody using a Receptor VIP with a Roland AX-1?

TTOR

Was thinking of purchasing a Receptor VIP to use with a Roland AX-1 using Virtual Guitar software/Amplitube3. Is this a viable combination? I am primarily looking to run VST guitar software/effects, but will also use it as an alternative sound source to my Kronos X and would you be able to load MusicLab RealStrat and RealRick into the VIP and access the software or is some software proprietary and not able to be run on a VIP.......Any info appreciated.......

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More generic question: Any advice on the Receptor VIP? Can I expect instant response between a midi controller and the unit as opposed to a laptop running VSTs where there are a number of variables that would cause audio latency problems depending on my system's audio buffer size.....

First, If you haven't seen the Muse forum over at kvraudio.com, that's a pretyt good place for Receptor questions.

"RealStrat/Rick": not sure if these will run or not. They have a demo... and I'd be willing to try it on my Receptor 2. If it doesn't work there, there's a chance it might work on the latest operating system on the VIP. Maybe someone on the KVR forum knows. Usually plugins don't work if they have some authorization/registration scheme that requires an internet connection, or if they reference some functionality that the Receptor OS doesn't include.

Per this thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=286716&start=15 Amplitube 3 wasn't installable as of 2011. Again, not sure if the latest OS addresses that.

"Instant response": a Receptor IS a purpose-built computer that still has to deal with sample buffers. However, the sales pitch for the Receptor is that there are fewer resources competing for CPU power because the operating system is stripped down, so in theory you can run more VSTs simultanesouly at lower buffer settings, if that's something that concerns you. However, you can certainly configure a laptop to run with a minimal number of services and other optimizations, and get consistent, low-latency performance, especially--and perhaps most important--with a decent audio interface! Folks do it all the time.

Running my MacBook Pro (with Saffire Pro 14 I/O) and my Receptor 2 simultaneously, both at 128 samples, one controlled via MIDI, the other MIDI-over-USB, I cannot noticed any difference in response time when playing a piano sound (Native Instruments New York Grand). That is, there's no difference to my EARS, so I don't think a Receptor will necessarily improve on a laptop in that regard.

I hope this helps.

-John

I make software noises.

Thanks John, alot of great information....would really have to research this...start by going to the kvraudio link you mentioned..think my problem may be that I'm using a Windows based PC and for some reason Macs always seem to handle this type of thing alot better...maybe I should just invest in a MacBook Pro with Mainstage, dedicate it to playing VST's and end up with the same end result as spending the money on a Receptor VIP.....Thanks again...

FYI could not get the RealStrat demo installer to run on my Receptor.

Meanwhile, Macs aren't the end-all be-all for gigging laptops. Many folks running PCs with Cantabile or Forte as the host.

It could be that your Windows PC isn't really optimized for audio.

I make software noises.

Thanks for taking the time to try and get the RealStrat demo to run on the Receptor...Gonna look into why I'm getting that momentary lapse between key hit and software....I am currently using Cubase AI5 and also tried the same thing with Ableton Live 9 Intro...not recording with DAWs, just using to run the guitar software and effects......I will check out Cantabile and Forte....

Archived