Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A couple observations from a show last week

Sam Mullins

I went to see a show featuring two Madison bands last week and had a couple observations.

-I won't mention the name of the headliner for reasons that will become obvious. I had never seen this band but they have been getting a lot of buzz and were recently booked for Coachella and lollapalooza. The primary appeal of this band is a really talented female vocalist. And I must say I was impressed with her vocal performance....BUT she was obviously hammered and went on long very self-conscious expositions between songs. I think most of the audience was uncomfortable and there was a lot of nervous laughter. Some people are great at inter-song gab (see Willy Porter or Stuart Davis) and it adds to the uniqueness of the show. But when it is fueled by alcohol and self-doubt it is just annoying, veering into sad. An open appeal to performers: If you think of yourself as a professional, take it easy on the alcohol. I'm not a teetotaler and I don't care if you get three sheets after the show. But I paid money and it wasn't to watch you do your best Dean Martin.

- On the plus side, the opening band was called Dolores and was one the funnest sets I've seen in a while. A truly inventive mix of influences including brit pop, prog, Todd Rundgren, etc. And the keyboard player did a great job using just a 4 octave controller and a laptop.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's to hoping that the female vocalist was having an off night and this isn't common.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here's to hoping that the female vocalist was having an off night and this isn't common.

Yeah, I was hoping that too. But after I posted this I did a web search and there was an article basically saying this is an ongoing issue for her; here is an excerpt:

'Even with all their recent success, confessed that she still has a hard time feeling valid, that her personal insecurities extend to the stage ("I love people, but they scare the sh*t out of me," she jokingly noted) where, according to her, she's not a natural showman. She admitted her use of alcohol as a "social crutch" is also a tough fit with the mental, social and physical rigorous demands of a band on the road and on the rise.'

Again, I have no personal ax to grind here and hope she gets her act together. That is why I haven't used her name or the name of the band here (anyone who really wants to know can figure it out easily enough.)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

I searched out the band. Never heard of them! Are they actually popular on a national level, or just regionally?

Assuming you are talking about the headliner...I would guess it's more regional at this point, although the article I read mentioned they had their single on a couple network television shows and had been touring Europe. I wasn't really familiar with them before I went; I was just looking for something to take my brother to for his birthday, watched a couple Youtube videos and decided it was worth a chance. Here is the link to the article I was referring to.

Klonk

Overall, I would have found it fairly enjoyable without the inter-song chatter. But I still would have liked the opening act better.

www.stickmanor.com

I hope she can get it together, too. From the article you posted, it sounds like she's working on it and aware of the challenges. That's good. It's gotta be hard when you're swept up in a situation like that (not even being able to be there for her dad's illness and funeral shows they're not very in control of their situation ATM).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I hope she can get it together, too. From the article you posted, it sounds like she's working on it and aware of the challenges. That's good. It's gotta be hard when you're swept up in a situation like that (not even being able to be there for her dad's illness and funeral shows they're not very in control of their situation ATM).

tells me she didn't care very much about her dad. I know that's jumping to conclusions, but any band would cancel a show or 2 for that situation, no matter where on the globe it would be.

:nopity:

Yeah, I was hoping that too. But after I posted this I did a web search and there was an article basically saying this is an ongoing issue for her; here is an excerpt:

'Even with all their recent success, confessed that she still has a hard time feeling valid, that her personal insecurities extend to the stage ("I love people, but they scare the sh*t out of me," she jokingly noted) where, according to her, she's not a natural showman. She admitted her use of alcohol as a "social crutch" is also a tough fit with the mental, social and physical rigorous demands of a band on the road and on the rise.'

Again, I have no personal ax to grind here and hope she gets her act together. That is why I haven't used her name or the name of the band here (anyone who really wants to know can figure it out easily enough.)

Nothing personal here, and yes, anyone can figure out if they want---but I don't see why you would protect the identity of the band. Obviously they're doing pretty well, she's carrying out these antics in public for all to see, it's been written about already in the press---It's no secret. Why are you reluctant to mention the band on this forum? Why the cloak and dagger?

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Nothing personal here, and yes, anyone can figure out if they want---but I don't see why you would protect the identity of the band. Obviously they're doing pretty well, she's carrying out these antics in public for all to see, it's been written about already in the press---It's no secret. Why are you reluctant to mention the band on this forum? Why the cloak and dagger?

Fair enough. I guess I see young people do lots of stupid things...just like most of us did at that age. The difference now is the Internet; there is a long public memory. I had no burning desire to add another Google search hit for something I hope she overcomes. There are plenty of people willing to take shots without me adding to the chorus.

www.stickmanor.com

I think it shows class and character to not want to spread bad press on a band.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I agree with Dan.

Many (most?) of us know first-hand how badly the deck is stacked against anyone realizing a modicum of success in music (no matter how you measure it). It's so "eat your own" for a player to throw shade on another struggling musician who gets a little.

I wish the unnamed singer (and her band) the very best of fortune. And of course, that whatever demons she's struggling with, she wins those battles. Lord knows I've lost enough of them myself.

Archived