Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paris Strother & King

Kayvon

Does anyone listen to King? Paris Strother has got some serious blessings in the keyboard department and her twin sister Amber and Anita Bias are wonderful singers.

I can't stop listening to these two tracks and instead of inflict my musical ramblings onto my FB friends I thought I'd share here.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Enjoy :)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I saw them a couple months ago at Le Poisson Rouge in NYC. Paris had a wall of synths around her. Her left hand key bass was really impressive, but the drum backing tracks were too loud for the performance. I was a little disappointed, having been so in love with the EP. I wish they didn't use any tracks live. Just hiring a drummer would've made a huge difference.

Their song on the first Black Radio, 'Move Love' was one of my favorites on the record.

Great group. Lovely ladies. Immensely talented. They do regular residencies here in town. Love them.

Their new stuff is very retro, almost SOS Band influenced.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Their song on the first Black Radio, 'Move Love' was one of my favorites on the record.

Aahhh, now I get it. I knew they sounded familiar. They also had a track on Bilal's latest project. Their sound is uniquely smooth to say the least. Good to finally be able to put faces with the name (...because googling 'King' is certainly a fruitless endeavor)

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

They're actually playing with Quadron this weekend, but I'm going to miss it because I'm gigging. :-(

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

@SpPiano I agree about the backing tracks thing. I think Paris has done a great job with the productions I heard, nice vintagey interesting sounds but for me, I'm more enamoured with the stripped back sound of just the three of them with Paris playing keyboards. As to getting a drummer in well I'm a fan of percussionists over full drumsets for softer music so I wonder what could work there. (not that anyone's asking me haha)

@Dreamchilde Wow, that would be some residency for a venue to have. In my capacity as a player I favour residencies too.

@SHaka40 I'll have to check that Bilal track cheers

Archived