Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Beer

hurricane hugo

I'm a serious witbier/Hefeweizen snob.

http://www.lcbo.com/content/dam/lcbo/products/273656.jpg/jcr:content/renditions/cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

:2thu:

Thanks for the recommendation!

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst beer I ever tasted was at a brasserie in Orleans, France. It's a Belgian blonde beer called Leffe. Ugh!

Really? I like Leffe a lot! Both dark and blonde versions.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Worst beer I ever tasted was at a brasserie in Orleans, France. It's a Belgian blonde beer called Leffe. Ugh!

Really? I like Leffe a lot! Both dark and blonde versions.

that's what makes the world go round. Very possible the Belgians sent a bad batch to France, but most likely he just doesn't like it. BTW, I like it. ;)

:nopity:

I also like Leffe.

What I don't like that a lot of my beer-loving friends adore is just about any IPA made by anyone other than Dogfish Head or Stone. Dogfish Head makes IPAs the traditional way, which is letting the beer sit inside a cask for 6 months or so. A lot of IPAs are made with shortcuts which results in hoppy beers.

I love Dogfish and Stone IPA, but I also like a lot of others as well. Dogfish was the 1st one I really enjoyed, after being a mostly Sierra Nevada Pale Ale drinker. Then I branched out from there and experiment with a lot of them now.

While DF might age it in the cask, to me, it definitely tastes better the closer to the bottling date you can get it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Mainline American Beer, the official Urine of the NFL, milked from male panthers. You DO have to find a microbrewery who really care about the craft to get the good stuff domestically. I prefer a good British ale served warm anyway. Its like liquid bread and far removed from the cooler swill of midwestern back yards.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

• 1 year later...
Love Bell's, especially Amber Ale and Two Hearted. Some great breweries in Northern Indiana / Southwest Michigan: Greenbush (Sawyer, MI), which we plan to visit soon, has an outstanding black IPA called 'Anger'. Meanwhile, in Michigan City, IN there's a relatively new brewery by the name of Burn 'em; very adventurous bunch, their motto is, 'Comforting the disturbed, disturbing the comfortable'. While there are lotsa brews with inhaled inspired names, Black Beer'd is a current favorite..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I love Dogfish

Have you toured the brewery? My wife and I met Sam at the Dogfish Pub in Rehoboth 3 years ago. There was a party upstairs we were invited to... great beer and so much food.

:cheers:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Yes, I've been down to the brewery. Since this thread started, a new local (and I mean, 2 miles from my house local) brewery opened up, called Blue Earl. All their beers have a blues theme in the name. They usually have 12 beers on tap, with 6 available for growler fills, and they do regular releases of special beers in 22oz bottles, most of which are barrel or oak aged so they cellar well. They usually have 2-3 Belgian styles (not my favorite style but apparently they are really good), a couple different IPA's, a couple lagers, and then some specialty stuff- right now they have a real nice Barleywine that I've been enjoying. They are dog friendly so my American Bulldog Nola and I go over there a couple times a week for a few brews.

I currently have a growler of their APA in the fridge for tonight, and maybe 8 bottles of stuff in the cellar that I'm letting sit for a few months to see how the flavors develop.

They do live music on Fridays and Saturdays (mostly blues/Americana) and do a monthly Sunday blues jam that is a blast. Even better is I got my daughter a job there so now I get the "family discount" on my purchases!

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Since this thread started, a new local (and I mean, 2 miles from my house local) brewery opened up, called Blue Earl.

Just Googled... down in Smyrna I see. I'll have to give it a try this summer if I'm in the area.

Even better is I got my daughter a job there so now I get the "family discount" on my purchases!

Now you're talking! Well played! I wish I'd thought of that.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Since this thread started, a new local (and I mean, 2 miles from my house local) brewery opened up, called Blue Earl.

Just Googled... down in Smyrna I see. I'll have to give it a try this summer if I'm in the area.

Let me know if you come down, it'd be fun to meet up.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Even better is I got my daughter a job there so now I get the "family discount" on my purchases!

Now you're talking! Well played! I wish I'd thought of that.

I'll bring the BBQ. :w00t:

They actually do BBQ and other food trucks on the weekends.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

where's the "like" button?!?

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Love Bell's, especially Amber Ale and Two Hearted. Some great breweries in Northern Indiana / Southwest Michigan: Greenbush (Sawyer, MI), which we plan to visit soon, has an outstanding black IPA called 'Anger'. Meanwhile, in Michigan City, IN there's a relatively new brewery by the name of Burn 'em; very adventurous bunch, their motto is, 'Comforting the disturbed, disturbing the comfortable'. While there are lotsa brews with inhaled inspired names, Black Beer'd is a current favorite..

Love most of the Bell's stuff; I'm willing to try anything they make (along with Deschutes and Lagunitas).

I like black IPA's and wish there were more of them. I'll watch for the one you mention above.

A couple years ago, my brother's band "Dogs on Skis" was inducted into the Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. As an homage, Millstream Brewery did a "Dogs on Skis Black IPA". It was a cool thing for my brother and his band-mates. They've done a couple seasonal runs of it since then and I always enjoy it. Taste-wise it's kind of in-between a stout and the normal black IPA.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale is one of my favorites... but only for special occasions. I don't want to get tired of that flavor.

Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale is one of my favorites... but only for special occasions. I don't want to get tired of that flavor.

Yep, me too. That and a couple of their seasonals: Brown Shugga and Undercover Investigation Shut-Down.

I've found that you have to check the Lagunitas alcohol content. They have a tendency to produce beers that don't necessarily taste like the alcohol content is as high as it is. The first time I had their "Undercover Investigation Shut-down" was at a bar and I had three pints. Got home and was really feeling it...only then checked the web site to discover it was something like 9.5%. Had no idea. Luckily (for other people if not me) I was on my bike.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

I thought I might have already posted this, but I checked and didn't see it. One of my faves recently, even though they get an ungodly price for it in the local pubs

Aaaahhh

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Ballast Point Sculpin (see link in previous post) is the clear winner IMNSHO in the IPA catagory. Ridiculously expensive, I rarely purchase it. What I'm still trying to figure out is why this thread is OT. :idk :D:cheers:
:nopity:

Ballast Point Sculpin (see link in previous post) is the clear winner IMNSHO in the IPA catagory. Ridiculously expensive, I rarely purchase it. What I'm still trying to figure out is why this thread is OT. :idk :D:cheers:

I had the Pineapple Sculpin at my local music hangout recently and liked it far more than I expected (not generally down with the fruit beers)...then went to my grocery store to pick up a six and it was $15...ouch.

www.stickmanor.com

I had the Pineapple Sculpin at my local music hangout recently and liked it far more than I expected (not generally down with the fruit beers)...then went to my grocery store to pick up a six and it was $15...ouch.

And from what I understand, it's the distributors and retailers that are making huge profits... not the breweries.

Archived