Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A bit OT - Treme

richforman

I'm usually a couple years behind the curve with these things, and as such have only now begun to watch HBO's acclaimed series Treme (on their HBO GO website, which lets you watch pretty much any HBO show ever at any time, if you have a cable subscription that includes HBO). Highly highly recommended to everybody here if you haven't seen it already! And even if you generally have little interest in watching TV ever, I'd give it a shot. Of course it's very high-quality being on HBO and from the creator of The Wire (shares many instantly recognizable cast members with that all-time classic too). But beyond that, it's the most authentically music-and-musicians-centric series I've ever watched. It's about the lives of all sorts of New Orleans residents in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, but the majority of the characters are jazz musicians, and a lot of the plot lines concern their lives, concerns, careers and creative endeavours, very accurately and in detail in such a way that a lot of "civilians" would miss half of what they're talking about. Every episode is punctuated by great live jazz performances in various contexts (club gigs, street musicians, parades, recording sessions, N.O. jazz funerals) that are woven into the plot and sure look and sound to me to have been put down live in front of the cameras for the scene. Real cats including Dr. John, Elvis Costello, and Steve Earle appear and perform as themselves frequently (and I'm only six episode in!) and musical matters like searches for gigs, questions of having to compromise one's integrity to make the rent, just random in-depth discussions of deep jazz history, all feature constantly into the story and dialog. Anyway I'm really massively enjoying it and I think everybody here would too!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yes, +1 on Treme, I have seen all of it except the shortened fourth season. As a jazz player who's never been to New Orleans, it was great to get a taste of what goes on there, and learn something of their struggle after Katrina. I learned a few other things too.

I'm assuming the levees have been rebuilt, stronger than before? I wonder how well is NO prepared for another possible Katrina-level hurricane?

I have been binge watching Treme (just starting Season 3 - please, no spoilers). It's extremely well done - and it's so cool to see the actual musicians, from both the jazz and R&B world, acting and playing.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

'Treme' was one of the best shows I'd seen in years (probably since 'The Wire'). The story arc of each season is beautifully paced, allowing the characters and plot to develop.

If you're only six episodes in, you have many more truly great moments to look forward to! I envy you!

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Was her then but had forgotten about that, was fun to go back and re-read your account of being on the show, FunkKeys, now really look forward to watching your ep when I get to it. (Still six episodes in, didn't have time to watch over the weekend and I don't know if I will for at least another week, really busy week coming up.)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Archived