Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What should I do?

I have a neighbor that owns a car with one of those car-horn alarms that goes off all the time. beep-beep-beep-beep-beep- beep, arrrghh!! Sometimes, it takes him 5 minutes to turn the stupid thing off. It just ruined a good recording take, and I'm starting to get pissed-off now. I never see the guy, 'cuz he disables the thing from his fob, inside his house. I can't even give him a disgusted look, so he may one day get the hint that his alarm is annoying the hell out of me. Damn, this thing is going off all the time, and none of it is necessary; I mean, the 'hood is like crime-free. Not to mention, who's going to steal a 2000 Malibu? Should I pay this guy a visit? -I really have no right to complain, when I have full band rehersals in my basement. :D I'm not going to call the cops on him, that would probably turn into a full on war, I don't want that. -this is getting on my last nerve. What would you guys do? Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Hippie, When the guy gets wind that you're running a recording studio in a residential 'hood, what are YOU gonna do? I'd try and sound proof my joint a little bit more. Sure, it's a "quality of life" issue, and the problem he's havingwith his car can easily be fixed by a competent alarm installer. Get an estimate on the cost of fixing it, and offer to pay. NYC Drew

i had that problem once, with some rusty toyota thing - about a 86 or some peice of junk. the thing would go off at 5:30 every morning as the owner got into the car. anyway, i wrote a very polite note with big black marker and big black letters stating that it was extremely rude to wake everyone up at this hour everyday, and anyone who would bother to steal that peice of crap wouldnt let the alarm deter them, and could they please shut it off before getting in the car. then i thoroughly duct-taped it to the windsheild (hee hee). the alarm never went off again!

Hippie, From your description, it sounds like (no pun intended) one or more motion sensors are too sensitive on his rig. If you were in my neck of the woods, I could have somebody fix it for $40.00 (bear in mind how much inconvienence it caused you for the [i]recordus interruptus [/i]), or, I could have somebody [b]fix it ;) [/b] for fifteen dollars less....if somewhat illegal. NYC Drew

Drew, when the wind is blowing the thing is constantly going off, I'd say your observation is correct. I'm just working up my 'speech'; he just got home. I'll be paying him a visit shortly & I have one of my neighbors going with me -he's more fed up than me. I just hope I don't make an enemy with all this, I plan on being as diplomatic as possible. -Let's roll.... Thanks, Matt

Well, me and my neighbor, went over there and the guy offered us a beer -(I think he thought we came over to introduce ourselves, oh boy!) I very gingerly eased the convo. from small-talk to his car-alarm. Anyway, he looked at me like I was freakin' nuts when I brought up that I would pay for his screwed up alarm. I think I insulted him, 'cuz he laughed & said, "what do you think I do for a living, son?" (doh!) Which I replied, "just trying to be neighborly sir, he he he"(actually fuckin' dying at that moment) -Although he did not accept my offer for repair or commit to fixing it himself, I think I got my point across. -Done. I was a little bummed that my neighbor, who went with me (and was all 'gung-ho' an hour earlier) to 'do the deed', freakin' clams up and 'goes Switzerland' on me, he was absolutely no help at all! :D Thanks for hearin' me out, Matt

You could go online and find the schematics for a simple transmitter to throw some RF his way.....totally blow out the front end of all his electronics. But thats sorta mean. All my tech friends have thought about building them to kill rolling boomboxes through their neighborhoods. Funny thing is they will never know where it came from....."the darn thang just quit.....". Its a simple circuit, power supply, pulse forming network, a clock, and either a klystron or magnetron, and waveguide/feedhorn......all readily available. I'd remotely trigger it though.....the sidelobes alone are lymphoma waiting to happen! : )
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Thanks for the tip Strat, but I'm stearin' clear of this guy. Just a few moments ago, as I was pulling into my driveway from work, we made eye contact. I nodded, as to say 'hello', & he purposely looked away, wtf? I get the feeling he don't like me much. He's a bit of a 'loose cannon', he thinks the world is out to get him.(hence, the car alarm). I'd bet he's the type that has an arsenal in his basement. love thy neighbor, Matt

Archived