Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A kind request: Procol Harum

marino

Hi all, a kind request... times are tough and I'm taking every job that comes to me... this time I'm supposed to arrange some Procol Harum songs. I confess to be less than expert about them, although I used to like them... I've played the usual A Salty Dog (great song btw) and the damn Shade Of Pale in the past, but that's it.

I know they're not difficult to transcribe... Fact is, I have just a few days to choose, transpose and arrange 10 to 12 songs, all in the middle of several other commitments... a few scores or lead sheets would be of help. Not just the chord progressions.... I can write down those easily enough.

I have found this useful page on their site... It lists all the sheet music collections that were ever published. But I've not been able to locate e single one of these books anywhere. Plus, I would have to order them from abroad, and probably it would take too long for them to arrive - assuming that I could find any one of them.

The moral: Perhaps some good soul has a collection of Procol Harum songs thrown in some corner, in any written form, be it sheets, scores, arrangements, and willing to scan it for me? This would speed my job, and ease my task, immensely, since the deadline is so tight.

I have a certain freedom of choice, as long it's PH... I think they expect Homburg, Conquistador, Fortuna, Shine On Brightly, plus the ones mentioned above, and the rest is left to me...

I don't think it would do any harm to scan any of those books, as they should be all out of print... Plus you will have my eternal gratitude. :D

Btw, even pointing me to some place where I can order one, would be useful.

Thanks in advance! :)

Carlo

Edit: If someone takes the time to scan it for me, I'm willing to pay(pal) for it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would LOVE to know where I can find the Conquistador score. Man that would make for a great read.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Pretty easy to suss this one out, I'd think... ;)

I must admit that I wrote that first post in a state of worriness, because I had just taken the job, and based on the only PH song that I know well (A Salty Dog), I expected rather sophisticated harmonies and arrangements on most of the others. Now that I've spent some time listening, I found that the basic harmonies and structures are really easy; with a bit of creativity, writing arrangements for a whole bunch of them doesn't sound like a difficult task.

That said, the timing is really tight, so any help would be appreciated anyway. :)

I have a PDF of the Conquistador book - send me a PM with your email and I can send it to you.

Dunno if it will suit, but worth a look :D

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I have a PDF of the Conquistador book - send me a PM with your email and I can send it to you.

I was just going to offer this up as well...

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I also have Repent Walpurgis (Fortuna) which I just sent to Carlo as well. If anyone else is interested...

A simple two page chart, but it has the main melody and chord progs..

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

BillW, I don't suppose you have Grand Hotel by any chance...I have been looking for it (and Strong As Samson) for several years.

Wow. KC always surprises me.

The help I've received in those few minutes since I've posted, has been unbelievable.

Thank you, thank you.

The Conquistador book is great - in fact, the Edmonton live album is my alltime favorite PH. I think I will include "Look to your Soul" in my list of arrangements: It's a great song with some intriguing modulations, and having the sheet music as a starting point is going to save me a *lot* of time.

So far I have the Conquistador book, plus Repent Walpurgis/Fortuna (an Italian edition!) and a transcription of a live performance of AWSOP.

Should someone have some other material, it will be welcome. But even as it is, you've been incredibly helpful!

Back to transcribing now. :)

Again - KC is the best. :2thu:

An update:

This assignement made me rediscover Procol Harum. I'm going thru the discography until 2003 or so. How elegant they were (still are) - a real bridge between the Beatles and Prog. And the lyrics are always of very high quality. Not to speak of Gary's voice!

Here's what I have so far:

AWSOP (aaarghh), A Salty Dog, Fortuna, Homburg, Conquistador, Shine On Brightly, Look to your Soul.

I transcribed Homburg in a matter of minutes; Shine was a bit trickier but quite linear in the end.

I need to decide on four or five more, then I can start arranging.

Once again, thanks!

Added "All This and More". Another great song. Never heard so many diminished seventh chords in a single rock song! :D

Also interesting: The very crude "cardboard" bass drum, and the fact that the voice is coming entirely from the left side of the stereo... until the last verse and chorus, where it comes from the right! Ah, the early days of stereo....

BillW, I don't suppose you have Grand Hotel by any chance...I have been looking for it (and Strong As Samson) for several years.

Let me check.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Pretty easy to suss this one out, I'd think... ;)

I must admit that I wrote that first post in a state of worriness, because I had just taken the job, and based on the only PH song that I know well (A Salty Dog), I expected rather sophisticated harmonies and arrangements on most of the others. Now that I've spent some time listening, I found that the basic harmonies and structures are really easy; with a bit of creativity, writing arrangements for a whole bunch of them doesn't sound like a difficult task.

That said, the timing is really tight, so any help would be appreciated anyway. :)

It's all good. I figured the naked version (without the orchestra) would be useful in fleshing out the piano lines, which form the backbone of all those orchestral arrangements anyway.

Plus, few realize that there was a "Conquistador" before the concert with the Edmonton Philharmonic...

Let me check.

Needless to say, I'd be interested in it as well...

And also, as I said, should you take the time to scan it for the occasion, I would be more than happy to send some compensation for your time. :)

few realize that there was a "Conquistador" before the concert with the Edmonton Philharmonic...

Well, it's certainly the 'definitive' version for me too.

Wow, was in the process of figuring out how to send a Zip of the Conquistador book through DropBox and went back to look at the post and It is already done. I guess I am a little late on the draw. Glad you got Marino.

Bill

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Thanks Bill

Let me check.

You're killing me. What a fantastic and unique band, always in my top 5 of faves.

If you're a fan you must pick up the Live in Denmark CD recorded only a few years ago with the Danish Symphony and Chorus. Some of the best versions of many of their songs, makes them sound fresh, Brooker in top form, sound is stunning.

You're killing me. What a fantastic and unique band, always in my top 5 of faves.

If you're a fan you must pick up the Live in Denmark CD recorded only a few years ago with the Danish Symphony and Chorus. Some of the best versions of many of their songs, makes them sound fresh, Brooker in top form, sound is stunning.

Absolutely stellar performance. I watch snips of this on YT all the time.

Craig MacDonald played 'Conquistador' in his band, but he was banished from this forum awhile ago. Someone mentioned him the other day, that maybe he can still be PM'd through this site (I guess if they're correct then he can send and receive personal messages; he just can't post or reply to posts on the actual forum).

Archived