Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

61 note controller. help a brother out!

EscapeRocks

So, I am looking for a 61 note controller.

I've been doing a lot of Svengaling, and reading user's manuals.

One "deficiency" for me, that I find in otherwise good controllers, is how they deal with sending program change to outboard gear.

While you can save and name presets, a PC does not transmit on selection of a preset. It takes another assigned button press or mode change once the preset is loaded.

I would love to have a controller that sends the PC to my gear upon selecting the preset.

The closest I've found is the Akai MPK2-61. Call up preset, but then have to have a PC (with MSB, LSB) assigned to a pad.Then I might have to change pad mode after sending PC if I want to use the pads to trigger other things.

So, in hopes of not having to study every 61 note controller on the market, I am posting here in case someone owns or knows of a controller that does what I want.

Thanks!

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't speak to what the Akai MPK-261 is capable of in terms of program changes since I rarely use it for more than a keyboard. But I can attest to its very good build quality and keyboard. I played a good bit of controllers to find that the Akai beat them all by a long shot in terms of keyboard feel. Best feeling synth action board I ever purchased. YMMV....

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

Maybe the buttons on the Arturias can be programmed to do that?

I think the best way to do it these days is with an app on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch. One touch and the PC is sent... and everything is properly labeled on the screen, too.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The question begs, what is your proposed rig going to consist of? Is said controller going to be the ONLY keyboard, or is it a second tier unit, in conjunction with your FA08/PX5s/something else?

If the latter, just use your main board to send PC for the whole rig, including any softsynths, etc. You've got lots of PC capabilities already.

Also, why aren't you using your MOX6? That in Master Mode gives you exactly what you're asking for...

So yeah... whatcha up to? :)

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The question begs, what is your proposed rig going to consist of? Is said controller going to be the ONLY keyboard, or is it a second tier unit, in conjunction with your FA08/PX5s/something else?

If the latter, just use your main board to send PC for the whole rig, including any softsynths, etc. You've got lots of PC capabilities already.

Also, why aren't you using your MOX6? That in Master Mode gives you exactly what you're asking for...

So yeah... whatcha up to? :)

yeah... call it temporary lapse of clear thinking skills. :D

Sitting here in the cube farm today at the day job, listening to another droning conference call: My mind started wandering to the disaster I had this past weekend using my Laptop and Mainstage for the first time live.

Long story short: I had everything configured at home, even making sure I could change my FA08 programs from my MOX6 even in USB/VST mode.

Got to the venue to setup , and nothing worked. Couldn't get the MOX to trigger ANYTHING on the laptop. I went thru all settings as best I could in a rushed environment. MIDI channel: check. Laptop/Mainstage/AU's recognizing MOX as input AND output: check.

After some fiddling I gave up as I needed to get set. Luckily I use Melas software and reverted the MOX to my non Mainstage setup, by loading another set of Masters, and pulled off the gig.

I haven't setup the rig at home yet to trouble shoot.

So, I guess my daydreaming got the best of me today.

I know the MOX is an excellent beast of a Master keyboard as far as control and PC stuff. I just need to figure it out...again ;)

Hey, keeps me from hitting the bars after work...usually!

David

I took me 3 days to figure out how to turn the vocoder on. :D

I used to write 360 Assembler for a living.

PS - Actually I didn't figure it out, I decided to eff it then asked Phil and he sent me his special vocoder user guide that he wrote in real English.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Another idea would be buying a used KURZ PC361 and use it as a controller,- and there are still some local programs being usefull too.

A.C.

I had an MPK61 and used the pads to send Pg changes to mainstage but was doing it manually not on a setup change. The keyboard is stiff and horrible though even though the rest is built well.

I think A.C. is onto something with the Kurz, like CEBs A-70 post. As an addition to that idea, why not a second hand Fantom X6/G6? They have a brilliant External parts page and from memory the Fantom G will send Pg changes on Live set/studio set changes (though I would have to check). As a side point its a huge shame Roland didn't include those features in the FA-08. Huge omission because the Fantoms do that stuff really well.

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

As someone aspiring to run a similar rig, I eagerly await your report when you finally do.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Yamaha: providing incomprehensible user interfaces to a keyboard near you!

LOL!!! So true! I'm good with almost all on the MOX except song/mix mode. Once I get to that in the interface my head explodes like on Scanners

I took me 3 days to figure out how to turn the vocoder on. :D

I used to write 360 Assembler for a living.

PS - Actually I didn't figure it out, I decided to eff it then asked Phil and he sent me his special vocoder user guide that he wrote in real English.

Haven't tried the vocoder yet. I'll reach out if/when i do.

As someone aspiring to run a similar rig, I eagerly await your report when you finally do.

Absolutely, Bobby, I'll post my findings and solutions.

My rig will be:

FA-08

MOX6

MacBook pro running Mainstage or Arturia Analog Lab.

Like I said, thought I had it all working before the gig.

David

So, as gently as I can possibly suggest it, your problem is not needing yet another keyboard, but rather better learning the gear you already have and getting it to do what you want, because it definitely will. :)

...but you knew that. :cool:

Oh I know that already. Even as I was starting this topic.

The dark corner of my GAS-addled brain started justifying a new toy.

I come here to get slapped back to reality, knowing you'd show up

:2thu:

:cheers:

David

Archived