Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VR-09 Expression Pedal?

iluvchiclets

Hi everyone,

I just tried using my generic expression pedal (for the first time) with my VR-09, and the volume goes from quiet to full volume with no gradual sweep! I tried selecting different "curves" in the menu with no luck.

It is a standard expression pedal for synths and FX processors, with a single 1/4" stereo jack on the end.

Does the VR require some specialized pedal or something unusual? I have never had a problem with any other synth or VST using this pedal...

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which expression pedal do you have?

I found my m-audio pedal behaved much better after adjusting it so that "max quiet" still made noise (just like a real organ)

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Reverse the tip and sleeve wiring ( i.e. the polarity) and see if it behaves correctly.

Read this article and you'll better understand what I'm saying above.

http://barrysmixedreviews.blogspot.com/2008/09/barrys-mixed-reviews-yamaha-fc7_313.html?m=1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

It is a standard expression pedal for synths and FX processors

This is a false statement; there is no "standard".

We've had dozens of discussions about this, the latest one only about a month ago, if memory serves. Roland uses a 10k linear taper pot in their pedal. Your pedal obviously uses something different.

Roland EV-5, M-Audio EX-P, Boss FV-500L - any of those will work fine with your VR. There are undoubtedly others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Thanks for all the replies,

I did a search here for the words expression pedal and VR, and there were so many hits I honestly thought I was doing something wrong?! I have to concede that I might not know how to use the search function in the forum properly...

I will look at the replies above and see what I can figure out. After reading the words "polarity" and "pot taper" I would guess something is wrong with my pedal. It works with everything else I own, which made me wonder if I was missing a setting.

Will report back if I can add anything new to the knowledge base here. Thank you again!

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

Moog EP-3.

They are $40 and are universal. The TRS cable plugs into a jack on the pedal. Pedal is scalable. Pot on the side adjusts the value. I use 2 of them on my board because the Yamahas take up too much space.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thank you CEB. I much prefer the price of the Moog pedal vs. the Yamaha.

I think I looked at the EP-3 a while back, and was concerned about the treadle design...they use a string to turn the potentiometer if I'm not mistaken? Have you had any problems with the design?

Thanks for the input.

Thank you - Ahh..I see it was the Moog EP-2 that used what looks like a string to rotate the pot shaft. It really looked funny to me when I saw it.

I have used Ernie Ball volume pedals that used strings. I never had any issues with them. You do need to know how to replace the string though.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thanks for the tip, CEB, about the Moog EP-3. I picked one up and it seems to work perfectly with the VR. I still have to figure out what all the velocity curves are on the 09, and what the little wheel does on the EP-3?

They sell for $56.00 including tax here in Canada...ugh...

$56 is pretty reasonable. I wonder how it compares to the $200 Crumar pedal?

Looking at the photo online, it looks like the "throw" is quite a bit less than a Hammond pedal.

And I'm guessing that little wheel adjusts the cutoff point. Try setting it so that the pedal all the way "off" yields a very quiet, but not totally quiet, organ. Just like an organ. Doing that to my m-audio pedal made it way more useful.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Hey WesG,

The little wheel does something, but I can't quite tell what! I think it affects the expression curve in different ways all at once?

The Moog EP-3 does have a nice action, and more throw than the M-Audio which was the less-expensive choice. I did see the Yamaha FC-7, but it was over $70.00.

Archived