Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the going rate for a Pianet N?

Dana.

I'm attempting to check one out via Craigslist. Not sure yet how functional it is (i.e., the condition of the reeds, keys, etc.), but it does not come with legs or pedal. Is it easy to open up? FWIW, I have "under the hood" experience with a Pianet T.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be most concerned about the condition of those weird sticky pads that pluck the reeds. They'd almost have to be dried out by now I'd think. IIRC there is a company in LA that sells replacement pads though.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Typical eBay asking price for a working example complete with case, stand, pedal and new sticky pads is about $1200-1500.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I'd be most concerned about the condition of those weird sticky pads that pluck the reeds. They'd almost have to be dried out by now I'd think. IIRC there is a company in LA that sells replacement pads though.

Yes, they can be easily replaced.

Typical eBay asking price for a working example complete with case, stand, pedal and new sticky pads is about $1200-1500.

I did a completed listings search and only saw one, near mint, with everything you mention, that sold for $800.

Yeah, I don't think a Pianet would be worth over $1000 to me, even in top condition.

The lack of velocity response and sustain pedal really limits my playing enjoyment.

I had a brand new Combo Pianet back in the day, and had to monkey with the pads quite a bit to keep notes sounding strong.

Moe

---

Yeah, I don't think a Pianet would be worth over $1000 to me, even in top condition.

The lack of velocity response and sustain pedal really limits my playing enjoyment.

I had a brand new Combo Pianet back in the day, and had to monkey with the pads quite a bit to keep notes sounding strong.

Are you saying a N has the same tonal/dynamic range as the T? Obviously the T is a softer tone, but I was under the impression the N is more dynamic and has more range. I have a T. I've been on the lookout for an N. The one I thought would work has made it out of the repair shop.

It has been 40+ years since I've played an N or similar.

Busch.

I had a Combo Pianet. There was almost no velocity response because the sticky pad pulls the reed up and releases it in the same place every time. It depends on the stickiness of the pad, not how hard you hit it. There is no hammer mechanism.

This is one case where the software instrument could be programmed to overcome limitations of the physical instrument.

Moe

---

I just bought an N a few months ago, in pretty good condition with legs and pedal for £240 ($360) and replaced all the pads for £60.

Could be persuaded to sell it for $800 :)

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Pianet N sold for $799 on Ebay Dec 7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HOHNER-Pianet-N-Electric-Piano-Rhodes-Nice-Complete-/231407410929?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item35e0f4def1

I used a Pianet T in the 70's for a while. Ran it into a tape echo with a momentary footswitch to generate some sustain. It was a lot easier to carry than a Rhodes. But no dynamics as no hammer hits the reed. The suction cup pulls it just enough to start the vibration. Without the hammer hitting it, the reed virtually never breaks or goes out of tune like a Wurly or Rhodes.

Duane

Korg PA4x76 arranger, 1976 Yamaha CP-70 electric piano, MidiPlus X6 MIDI USB controller, Turbosound ip500 Tower Speaker System

I guess beauty is in the eyes (and ears) of the beholder. I picked up a used (ostensibly owned by Leon Russell) Pianet N when I was in high school - circa 1971 - for $150 and thought it was overpriced then. I can't believe they're commanding $1k+ these days. OOO

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

If this is the one you are considering it is way overpriced at $850. It will probably require work and is missing the stand, pedal, and probably the carrying case.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/4795352376.html

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

If this is the one you are considering it is way overpriced at $850. It will probably require work and is missing the stand, pedal, and probably the carrying case.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/4795352376.html

That's the one. The seller sent me better photos and is willing to negotiate, but for multiple reasons, including the ones you mentioned, I'm probably going to pass.

Stunning.

Something else that needs to be considered: I live in New York City where everything is more expensive. There's no shortage of "vintage" gear here being sold for more than it's worth. And not just on Craigslist. Check out this Brooklyn store's price-gouging. Unfortunately, there's no shortage of people who will pay New York City prices regardless of whether or not they're fair.

http://www.maindragmusic.com/keyboards/vintage-used/synths.html

http://www.maindragmusic.com/keyboards/vintage-used/electric.html

Look at this one. It included the case, original headphones, 45rpm record, absolutely mint and complete. He found it for $400. I tried contacting him to see if he was interested in selling but got no response.

Busch.

he's probably long gone. that post is over three years old. I used to hang at clavinet.com when it first opened 15 years ago, but the forums never really stuck , they come and go infrequently.

:nopity:

I took his login name on that forum (which his real name) and found him on Facebook. He's in my area, but apparently not interested in selling.

Busch.

I bet he's not. You still get the "Columbo" award for finding him. :thu:

:nopity:

Stunning.

Something else that needs to be considered: I live in New York City where everything is more expensive. There's no shortage of "vintage" gear here being sold for more than it's worth. And not just on Craigslist. Check out this Brooklyn store's price-gouging. Unfortunately, there's no shortage of people who will pay New York City prices regardless of whether or not they're fair.

http://www.maindragmusic.com/keyboards/vintage-used/synths.html

http://www.maindragmusic.com/keyboards/vintage-used/electric.html

That M3 for $850 is hysterical!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived