Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name That Axe!

whitefang

In the movie "From Here To Eternity", there's a guy( presumably Merle Travis) Playing a song called "Re-enlistment Blues" and playing an acoustic guitar with a "six on one" type headstock usually seen on Fender electrics( and other makes), but I can't make out the maker. there's some writing on the headstock, but I couldn't make out what it said with these aging eyes. I'm thinking, since it's supposed to be Travis, on old friend of Leo Fender( from what I hear) that it may be an early KINGMAN model.

But I'd like a more definite observation.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a possible winner, dudes!

Y'know, I've seen this movie about 50-60 times since I was younger than when I started to LEARN guitar. It was the only acoustic I ever saw with that style of headstock, and back then, I wondered if indeed it WAS a Fender acoustic. Now, the movie WAS made in 1953, Fender WAS around as a guitar company at that time, but I didn't know if they had built an acoustic model back in those times. So it kind of made me wonder. Last night was the first time I actually noticed ANY writing on the headstock, but couldn't read it. However, just from the size and shape of the word "Bigsby" on it, the instruments entered in the above replies seem to fit the bill.

Over the years, I've also read the BOOK a few times. The character that plays the guitar IS in the book. Just no mention of the make of his guitar. There's also a section in which several stanzas of the song "Re-enlistment Blues" are given. Now, some sources claim Travis wrote the tune, but Joyce wrote the book a few years BEFORE the movie came out, so I'm guessing if Travis had anything to do with the song at all, it was probably in putting Joyce's lyrics to some pretty good music.

The book was the first place I've ever run across the name DJANGO REINHARDT. The book's character made such a fuss about how GREAT this DJANGO cat was, that I went to a reputed excellent( at the time) RECORD store to find some recordings. And been a fan ever since! So, there's THAT! AND it pays to READ, doesn't it?

Anyway, thank you guys for the information. For now, I'm going with the Martin-Bigsby. I always thought Bigsby just designed that iconic vibrato tailpiece. So, KUDOS to GUITAR PLAYER forums! One CAN learn some cool stuff in this place! No WONDER I keep coming back!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived