Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The art of restraint

Dana.

Feel free to add to this. Vocals, keys... anything musical you think is in keeping with the subject. In an age of excess and bombast, music that demonstrates restraint and taste deserves extra love.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great idea for a topic and a beautiful performance. For some reason the first tune to pop into my head is Timmy Thomas's Why Can't We Live Together.

[align:right]##

##[/align]

Thank you for that, Carlo. Beautiful.

More in line with the Al Green stuff, the classic example of restraint on the clav:

Wish I could find a performance of the arrangement of "All of Me" that I heard the Basie Big Band play two years ago. One of the most laid-back, swinging things I've ever heard with a bass/piano duet intro. Unbelievable. The YouTube selection has a slightly different arrangement with Basie playing.

Feel free to add to this. Vocals, keys... anything musical you think is in keeping with the subject. In an age of excess and bombast, music that demonstrates restraint and taste deserves extra love.

Nice. :thu:

Thanks, D-Bon.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

It'd be difficult to be more restrained than this. This is the minimalist "slowcore" group Low and their album "Long Division".

Another one of my all-time favorites.

In this version, the intensity drops a bit when the second singer enters.... he's good, but what Nina does in the first half can't be matched.

Can't get too much more restrained than this piano part (and still be interesting):

[video:youtube]https://youtube/watch?v=5eSottwYIwo

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

In the context of playing music, I like to define taste as having chops and knowing when not to use them.

The entire John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman album is a master class in the brilliance of restraint. It's certainly my favorite jazz vocal album and in my top 10 favorites, maybe top 5. Here's a great example that became my wedding song (a band played this arrangement):

[video:youtube]ecrE80rnjhw

Archived