Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GOOD GOLLY! Another B'DY!

whitefang

Little Richard is 82 today!

GOOD GOLLY! Have a peice of cake with a scoop of "Tutti Frutti" ice cream on it!

I don't really know just how influencial to other MUSICIANS he was, but he did have an impact on how the music SOUNDED and was PRESENTED.

He was kind of educational musically, to me, as I wound up finding a 78rpm copy of "Tutti Frutti" among a pile of old 78s in one of those antique "crank up" "Victrolas" my mom got from somewhere. And I'm pretty sure 45s were around at that time( 1955, when "Tutti Frutti" came out) so I could only surmise that some labels still released music on either or both mediums( 45 & 78) in order to cover the market. I don't know---I had that 78 from 1965, when it was discovered, until 1969, when my then five year old kid sister plowed into my room, and jumped onto my bed and asked "Whatcha doin'?" and her butt landed square ON it! Breaking it into many pieces, like a bar of "Turkish Taffy"!

Sure I was mad, but it all worked out over the years...

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little Richard. I was a big fan in the 1950's juke box days. He was the king of black rock and roll in our eyes. That dude rocked the house down everywhere he played back then.

Happy Birthday Little Richard.

I'm sure I don't know just WHO didn't give him "due respect". It sure never was the MUSIC FANS, who ALWAYS seemed to just LOVE him! Plus, many of his contemporaries have always had nothing but love for him.

Sure, probably now, this much younger generation probably doesn't. But, THEY don't even acknowledge Chuck Berry, or even are that familiar with The Beatles, OR the Beach Boys, as far as that goes.

Whitefang

His image has always been a bit androgynous, before Prince was walking upright. It doesn`t seem like a big deal now, but back in the day there was prejudice going on even without that. I haven`t heard him mention that specifically but I have read about it, it was a factor.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Little Richard would show up on a lot of daytime talk shows(not like there were a LOT) back in the '70's, and his "androgynous"( as you put it) behavior on them did spark some speculation, and stories he'd relate sometimes about the early days of his career did bring up some question of his true sexuality. But to me and many others I knew, we really didn't care. We still loved the MUSIC!

In fact (since you mentioned PRINCE), When Prince first hit the MTV video cavalcade, I thought he was trying to be some kind of Little Richard clone. like all of them "would be" folkies who dressed in chamois jackets and "dutch caps" ala early Dylan used to in the early '60's.

Whitefang

Little Richard would show up on a lot of daytime talk shows(not like there were a LOT) back in the '70's, and his "androgynous"( as you put it) behavior on them did spark some speculation, and stories he'd relate sometimes about the early days of his career did bring up some question of his true sexuality. But to me and many others I knew, we really didn't care. We still loved the MUSIC!

In fact (since you mentioned PRINCE), When Prince first hit the MTV video cavalcade, I thought he was trying to be some kind of Little Richard clone. like all of them "would be" folkies who dressed in chamois jackets and "dutch caps" ala early Dylan used to in the early '60's.

Whitefang

I had the same impression, actually I`m surprised it`s never seemed to come up. His music didn`t sound anything like Little Richard but, it`s pretty hard to miss the similarities visually.

Yes, ergo my original comment about Little Richard-he is aware of the times that the influence of Jerry Lee Lewis for example is mentioned, and Little Richard`s name is left out.

I have to be 100% frank and say that-as someone who grew up a couple of towns over from Prince-that I am not as impressed as some people are by his guitar playing specifically. I do think he far exceeds expectations considering how much of a showman he is. I respect him a lot more as an overall musical talent-he has bands, but he really doesn`t need bands, the guy does like, everything.

I just caught Prince on SNL a few weeks ago and he put on a fantastic performance LIVE! I didn't even know it was him at first, but I would go see his show now, if it ever comes to town...I've been a fan of Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis since the beginning of rock and roll along with Elvis, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, etc. etc. etc...Little Richard definitely is/was one of the Icons of rock and roll. My favorite song of his is: Lucille... :2thu:
Take care, Larryz

Saw Prince at Budokan a few years ago. I am not a fan of the sound there but he is a consummate entertainer. He played a full concert, then did an extended solo acoustic piano set. There was also an after party, which I did not attend.

Prince is an acquired taste. I more like his late '70's efforts than his "MTV era" crap. But, he usually IS an underrated musician.

To each their own, I suppose.

Whitefang

Archived